Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #41
kirkdavis

Herman Melville said it best

Moby Dick
Call me Ishmael...Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth...whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principal to prevent me from deliberately... knocking people's hats off, then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for cap and ball.

Last edited by kirkdavis; 05-03-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: In case youngsters haven't heard of Moby Dick
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #42
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Honestly just love being on the water,everything else is just a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Agreed! I say exactly that all he time.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #43
tacmik

Because my wife doesn't.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #44
FISH11

Because I needed to get some form of exercise and being on the water was always fun. After selling my 18 foot catamaran. I started researching kayaks and found BWE, I saw the pictures of guys on kayaks holding Yellowtail, Large Halibut and WSB. I said "that is it" , that's what I want to do. So I started fishing again after about 10 years of not doing it. Not go out for trout, large mouth bass, etc. The fact that you can launch at La Jolla shores paddle out enjoy a beautiful day with amazing scenery, drink some beers and on a good day even come home with a trophy fish to enjoy a wonderful meal. Slow days or even dry spells don't stop me. The only thing I hate more than winds over 18 mph are the over protected and never ending, bait stealing F'n furbags!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #45
PapaDave

It's the hunt.

It's the adventure.

It makes my mind think in a different fashion than when I'm at work or home.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #46
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

For the great rainbow pics on the water! Lol! Thanks Jaime. Fishing for us was SLOW last Saturday, but it looks like you had similar results inside the harbor as we did outside Tony.

I try to have fun fishing with friends, and sometimes when solo, you never know who you might meet at the launch! Met some retired army guy a few weeks ago (that isn't on here) and he ended up flipping from the big yacht traffic in Newport. Didn't know I'd be taking a swim to help him get back in his yak that day!

It's always a fun adventure on the water, catching is just a bonus ( at least I tell myself)!! Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #47
ctfphoto

Yesterday I started sailing after no bites for me for hours on end. I was trolling a greenie while sailing. After a bit, I decide just sailing would be funner than trying to fish on a low bite day and put the pole away. Good choice. Rode the winds all the way back to the launch on winds only.

There are so many reasons to be out fishing even if no fish show up.

Sanity is the main one.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #48
M.P.H.B.
Junior

Keeps Me Human

It satisfies a primal reward system. Its a reminant of the hunter-gatherer lifestyle that was humanities universal experience for over 90% of our existense on Earth, that only began disappearing into settled society 5000 yrs ago. That happy juice that fires through your brain when you hook up with a fish served a life or death purpose back then (and still does for the few remaining hunter-gather peoples today). Its a drug that drove our distant ancestors to endure all kinds of hardships in order to bring meat back to the village and helped ensure the continuity of the species.

Observing from a macro level, it's possible that we're a species on the cusp of it's next step in evolution. Civilization and technology are propelling us towards an existence that is so utterly alien to our hunter-gatherer brains, and at a pace that compels constant adaptation. If this rate of change and adaptation continues, then at what point will we become something all together different from homo-sapiens? That point in time might be closer than we realize.

So simply put, if someone asks me why I fish, I say that it Keeps Me Human.
M.P.H.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #49
smokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
I just really enjoy the experience, the time just being out on the water. The different life that happens out there. Catching a fish is just a bonus.
+1...Took the words right out of my mouth.

It also doesn't hurt to hear the line ripping off your spool.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #50
King Saba

It's where I'm most happy, I think . When I'm out there the peacefulness, scenery, air, sun, water, life, all of it, makes the effort of packing and getting my lazy ass down to the coast worth it. Catching fish is great too. I'm also counting myself VERY fortunate to have not had a skunk day yet in the year and a half that I've been doing this!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #51
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
It's where I'm most happy, I think . When I'm out there the peacefulness, scenery, air, sun, water, life, all of it, makes the effort of packing and getting my lazy ass down to the coast worth it. Catching fish is great too. I'm also counting myself VERY fortunate to have not had a skunk day yet in the year and a half that I've been doing this!
Oh pull-leeez....so you have not had a skunk day in a year in a half? So you catch a game fish everytime you go fishing..? Like: yellowtail, WSB, Halibut and or bass? If you do your the man! You should write a book!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #52
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Oh pull-leeez....so you have not had a skunk day in a year in a half? So you catch a game fish everytime you go fishing..? Like: yellowtail, WSB, Halibut and or bass? If you do your the man! You should write a book!
Ha! I thought the same thing.

If you catch a fish every time you go out, you're not fishing enough.

Props on your success rate though
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #53
theluckypig

Quote:
bait counts in my book...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #54
driftwood

Quote:

Ever thought about becoming a commercial fisherman? you would make tons of money.

Fishing is not easy, if it was, it wouldn't be called fishing. I'm happy getting skunked some days.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #55
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I'm not King Saba for nothing. I have yet to add those big game fish on my kayak, but it'll happen. Hopefully. lol! I can write a book on how to not lose a fish.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #56
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Ever thought about becoming a commercial fisherman? you would make tons of money.

Fishing is not easy, if it was, it wouldn't be called fishing. I'm happy getting skunked some days.
lol big game fishing isn't anyways. I've tried for yellows several times, and blanked on them every time. Fortunately the Calicos and Greenies were always there to entertain me.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #57
Aznronin

I like to fish for some of the following reasons:

1. I get to either be by myself and chill out or with friends and chat away
2. I get both excercise and some fresh air
3. It's a good change of pace for me. My personal activities are usually Brazilian jiu-jitsu related or martial arts, mma related so it can get boring or feel like a grind instead of fun sometimes.
4. I get to feed my OCD
5. I get to hang out with people that are not related to business, martial arts etc.
6. I get to have a beer in silence and occasionally get to catch a fish.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #58
straightrod

Seven years ago I bought a used tandem Outfitter. I love the ocean and my wife loves to fish. We have been out hundreds of times offshore fishing in that kayak. I learned to love fishing and she loves the ocean while fishing.

The whole thing started with me just wanting some ocean adventure while coaxing my wife further and further out.

We are in our 60's and our family and friends don't have a clue. We did graduate to a Tandem Island - now we are considered dangerous.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #59
Amish Ed

I fish for peace of mind, friendship, and the thrill of faking a bass into thinking a chunk of metal and plastic is a live meal.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #60
T-Rex

To get away from the Ball and Chain!