Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #21
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Here's another direction to consider.

If you have the space in the back of a truck or van, and if you want the convenience of hot water for camping, showers and anything else, this is a very common 6 gallon Atwood motorhome water heater that slides out of the side compartment of a derelict motorhome by removing a few screws:

http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Mobile-...n+water+heater

They come with a mechanical "clicker" type ignition button, or an LP pilot light that can be lit with match when you want to use it. It's a burner, so it has to be vented or used in the open air.

They are around $300 new, but there are so many nuisance motorhomes laying around that it's exceedingly easy to find one for free. If you want to get fancy, you can build it into a square box.

Inside this square shape wrapped with quality motorhome insulation, this is what the 6 gallon aluminum tank looks like:

To finish off this deluxe approach to a camp shower and warm water equipment washer, you need a 5 gallon barbeque propane tank, any of a wide variety of plastic water tank shapes to fit the space you have available (strip that out of a motorhome too?), a water pump that is salvaged from the same motorhome, and a motorhome coach battery so it doesn't drain your car battery.

This is what a typical motorhome water pump looks like, and they are usually mounted somewhere inside the lower cabinets. Four screws and it's yours. They are nice quality, especially for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-Motorh...ome+water+pump

This is an "on demand" system. Meaning, when you spray or shower at the nozzle end, the pump comes on automatically to feed your 6 gallon Atwood water heater. Turn off the water flow and everything stops in the ready position.

Light your heater and the water heats almost instantly. Otherwise, use it at ambient temperature. It's a quality system and everything can be salvaged for free.

My next vehicle will be a 4x4 MB Sprinter passenger van with the back seats removed. This is how I'm going to rig a shower at the back. With a small amount of creative thinking, this can all be quite compact and modular, and easy to move in or out by the back door.

PS - if you add a suitcase style self-contained portable toilet, you can now declassify your Sprinter van from commercial (expensive) to a personal motorhome (much cheaper license renewal and the cheapest rates for insurance)

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Springs-O...ortable+toilet

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-01-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
fishbullie
Junior

if your talking about rinsing the kayak and not yourself...then get a pressure washer and a hose and leave it in the car/boat/home. i have a 1300psi with adjustable nozzles so you can fan out the pressure/water. works like a charm. it will outdo any type of cleaning you do before/after the launching area.

unless your looking to be cool with your shiny kayak then...they have the 4gallon hand pump pressure spray at harborfreight for like $20. a few pumps and you have enough pressure to spray it down. they come with different nozzles too.

cheers.
fishbullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
HobieScot

I was just watching Inside Combat Rescue and the military used something that looked like the simple pesticide sprayers that you find at Home Depot that you pump for pressure and holds about 3-4 gallons. I was surprised to see how much pressure that sprayer had. They were using it to rinse the blood out of the helicopter after a mission.

With that type of pressure it would be a cheap and ideal solution.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out what they are using.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
I was just watching Inside Combat Rescue and the military used something that looked like the simple pesticide sprayers that you find at Home Depot that you pump for pressure and holds about 3-4 gallons. I was surprised to see how much pressure that sprayer had. They were using it to rinse the blood out of the helicopter after a mission.

With that type of pressure it would be a cheap and ideal solution.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out what they are using.
I'm curious to know what they were using.

I'll ask at the local military surplus store in El Cajon.

---

In the meantime, I just found this:

$60, free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8l-8-Litre-P...item5d5993aaa8

$23, free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-Litre-...item463e08da1e

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-02-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
HobieScot

The one that they were using looked more like the $23 model

Just all black with no writing on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #26
easyday

I have the rinse kit, it's pretty cool. It works for quick wash downs.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #27
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I'll post my setup in a few days

sent from my thumbs on my G4
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Ironton 8 gallon spot sprayer: https://youtu.be/-jSyqXx1RAU

Got my sprayer hooked up to day was easy just cut off the alligator clips and put a flat two pin connector on it so I could plug it into my cars four pin flat... Holds 8 and a half gallons and I can get two wash downs be for refilling..also this should be awesome for the kids when beach camping

sent from my thumbs on my G4
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
KirkG.

I've always just used the sprayer that you can get at home Depot for pesticides or whatever. They have a couple different sizes depending on how much water you want to bring. Fill it with water and add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to help dissolve the salt and rinse away.

B.A.B.A, Broke Ass Bass Anglers Pro Staff.
SikFishindustries.com Pro Staff.
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #30
Dannowar

Get a rinse kit. Carlsbad company. Use mine allll the time. Enough pressure for a minute or so of rinsing

Www.rinsekit.com
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #31
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkG. View Post
Fill it with water and add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to help dissolve the salt and rinse away.
Is this a common practice for cleaning kayaks and fishing gear?

I use vinegar to dissolve rust off of metal overnight. If I forget about it for a few days, it makes a mess out of tools and other things I leave in the vinegar bucket. It's slow acting, but it definitely keeps eating.

I'm wondering if this might be bad for Mirage drive parts, electrical connections, plated surfaces, fish hooks, lures, poles & reel parts?

I would be nervous to get vinegar into areas of moving parts and not getting it all washed back off with fresh water.

If we have to rinse a second time to get the vinegar off, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Maybe your recipe for dilution makes it safe?

I would like a short-cut formula for neutralizing salt, but would like some more confirmation that the acidity of prolonged vinegar contact is not dangerous.