Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Gino

How do you Attach your battery boxs in your kayak?

How do you guys fasten or attach your battery boxes in your yak?

Im trying to decide how I want to attach my battery boxes, I used to just leave them in my front hatch clipped inside my life vest.

I am interested in getting some new Ideas.

Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
cowboybill

I am lucky in this way....

I have a small canvas shop, so I made up some velcro straps and closed cell foam pads so I can stuff my battery into the hatch and velcro strap it to my skuppers so my battery cant move. But I could do the same thing with some rope, etc...

On my wifes yak, I made a foam triangle to keep the battery centered as her boat has a definate V shape, but again I sewed up velcro staps to hold the battery in place...

Works great!

I also smear dialectric grease on all connections like toothpaste on a brush, and then clean/ re- do every 8-10 trips...

No problems so far...

Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Adam12

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...?t=6394&page=3

See post #55
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
kareem korn

Truthfully, I attatch the leads, roll it up in a dry bad and let it set in the hull, or sometimes the milk crate. Never had a problem.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
Truthfully, I attatch the leads, roll it up in a dry bad and let it set in the hull, or sometimes the milk crate. Never had a problem.
this is what I do as well
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
rrdstarr
Junior

Ocean Kayak Anglers

You might be able to get this from OK. It is suspended in front of the forward hatch at four points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterybag.jpg (116.2 KB, 193 views)
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
cjthomas

velcro works the best.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
Yep, works for me as well. My bait tank has a spot for the battery that runs it
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
KirkG.

I just bought some sticky backed velcro from wal-mart and after scuffing the inside bottom of the front hatch and bottom of the battery box just stuck it to the boat. Works good so far, hasnt come loose or moved around at all in the 6 months that its been mounted. I can take the battery out for charging without removing the box.

KirkG
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Gino

Thanks for the inputs, I kinda like the Velcro idea. I will probebely go that rout, I like the OK battery bag, Ill have to see if I can get one. I have a Malibu Extreme, So ill have to rig it the same way.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Velcro usually works if you can get it to stick and your battery is fairly small. If you want a more robust method consider strapping the battery in a box to the hull.

I wanted my battery box to be raised off the bottom of the hull which is usually a little wet. I took some foam pipe insulation, spread it out and glued it to two edges of the bottom of the battery box. That gave me the lift and provided a little cushioning.

Next I gooped some pad eyes to the hull. After the goop had cured, I ran a webbing strap through the pad eyes. The strap, ($2 at REI), has a quick disconnect buckle.

When I am ready to hit the water, I set the battery box in its place connect the buckle and cinch everything tight. I use a two-wire trailer light plug to attach the battery to the internal wiring in the hull.

This has worked better for me than Velcro which was always coming loose. This is probably because I have a fairly heavy 7AH battery that is too much for the Velcro to hold.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
CurtyL

beware "marine velcro." there is not a brand out there that can stand up to a single trip on a yak with soething as heavy as a battery on deck. buy the waterproof box at OEX and tie a line to it.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
Dean Machine

I don't even use a battery box. I have a battery with velcro glued to the bottom and velcro on the inside of my yak. I just hook it up and plop the battery in. It doesn't move. Even when launching through surf. I have done this for about five years with the same battery. I rinse after every use. Admittedly caution must be used whenever metal objects long enough to short the terminals are around. No problems yet.

I thought I needed a box when I was first getting into the sport but found that was not true. I remember a post about using modified tupperware for a battery box. Sounds like an effective, cheap and simple idea.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

In the ocean, I almost always go thorough surf. Sometimes, I have to roll, carry or go through some difficulties to get the kayak in the water. I transport my kayak upside down on my truck roof rack.
I didn't want the battery to be bouncing around inside the hull, so I made a box out of acrylic and bolted it through the inside of the molded side handle. Completely waterproof and secure, easy to reach though the main hatch. Worth the extra effort to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BatteryBox.jpg (97.4 KB, 93 views)