Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Mahigeer

An Email from Sportfishing Conservancy Team

I just received this Email and thought to share it here.
>>
>>
April, 2015>>
Dear Fellow Fisherman ->>
The Fish and Game Commission met last week in Santa Rosa. >>
Here's a brief update on items that will affect recreational fishermen:>>
>>
- The big item is that the Department of Fish and Wildlife will support all but one of the Spiny Lobster Advisory Committee'srecommendations. >>
Recreationals will need to clip tails on our bugs [I don’t get this part], the season will open at 6am instead of midnight, and we'll need to mark our hoop nets with our GO ID [fishing license number]. >>
DFW and the LAC disagreed on the use of mechanical pullers. The Commission will decide at its December meeting in Van Nuys.>>
>>
- Proposed MPA boundary changes will make GPS coordinates more exact and move a line between two no take areas in Laguna. TheFGC, by the way, was unwilling to even consider closing Drake's Estero to clamming as was suggested by one party.>>
>>
- For Northern California fishermen, Pacific Halibut catch limit is increased but there is no change in CPFV Dungeness crab rules.>>
>>
- Unfortunately, 95% of the 2014 brood was lost for the winter run Chinook. With low and warm water, this year looks just as bad. DFW has reluctantly closed part of the Sacramento River to all fishing since>>
even catch and release puts too great a stress on these fish. Pray for rain!>>
>>
We will continue to stay involved and keep you up to date on future Commission meetings as well as any other information that will affect recreational fishing. Visit our website at The Sportfishing Conservancy for more information.>>
>>
Sincerely,>>
The Sportfishing Conservancy Team>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
SorryCharlie

[QUOTE=Mahigeer;225392]
Recreationals will need to clip tails on our bugs [I don’t get this part], the season will open at 6am instead of midnight, and we'll need to mark our hoop nets with our GO ID [fishing license number]. >>
QUOTE]

The reason they are doing this is to stop people from being able to sell any recreationally caught lobster on the "black market".

If the tail has a clip out of it, it can be recognized as recreationally caught, no clip means commercially caught and OK for market sale.

We will see how this pans out, but my understanding is that not clipping the tails will carry a heft fine, as does taking of shorts, etc. IMO, anything that helps cut down on the ease of poaching, but doesn't affect my ability to catch them legally is a positive step.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Mahigeer

I agree with any step to cut down on illegal activities.

I just hope that the clipping regulation gets enough publicity, so not too many anglers get tickets.

I realize the ignorance of law is no excuse.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote