Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
BenCantrell

long distance kayaking

Hey guys, I'm planning to increase the distances I paddle this year. Right now I'm comfortable with 10 miles, this month I'll do a 15 mile paddle, and by this summer I'd like to be comfortable with 20+ miles. At that point you can conceivably go offshore for tuna or better yet plan a trip to Catalina. I realize the longer my sessions become the less likely people will want to join me, so I'm starting this thread now in case anyone wants to build up some endurance with me. I'm in a Trident 13 and can comfortably do 17 minute miles or 3.5 mph. If conditions are good maybe 4 mph. Send me a PM if you're interested in throwing around ideas.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Best Idea: get a radio if you're going to cross the channel to Catalina, and keep the battery charged.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Best Idea: get a radio if you're going to cross the channel to Catalina, and keep the battery charged.
Got it, thanks.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

I’ll do a 20 with you. From Carlsbad to La Jolla. I’m cruising about 14 minute miles for 2 hours. I think 3.5 is sustainable
Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
I’ll do a 20 with you. From Carlsbad to La Jolla. I’m cruising about 14 minute miles for 2 hours. I think 3.5 is sustainable
Awesome. I'll get a couple 15 mile paddles under my belt, and then around April or May I'll be good for 20. Maybe we'll see a few fins at the surface by then.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice goals, Join me in Sept or November. I plan on leaving from Makoville and rowing to Isla de La Guardia doing a ciermnmavagation and rowing back to Makoville. Thats 200+miles with a crossing of about 15 miles from La Bay to the island. That can be a rough crossing for a yak. I will follow your progress. Any one interested in joining me me please contact me on Faceboob . my page is Mako-Ville. Thanks.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Nice goals, Join me in Sept or November. I plan on leaving from Makoville and rowing to Isla de La Guardia doing a ciermnmavagation and rowing back to Makoville. Thats 200+miles with a crossing of about 15 miles from La Bay to the island. That can be a rough crossing for a yak. I will follow your progress. Any one interested in joining me me please contact me on Faceboob . my page is Mako-Ville. Thanks.
Thanks for reaching out. That sounds like a really intense trip!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
Thanks for reaching out. That sounds like a really intense trip!
Guys will get to fish areas without tons of fiashing pressure. I would camp out on the beaches and Island. My row boat "Second Wind" will carry supplies, a water maker, camping gear and cook gear and act as a support boat. Yes radios for safety and a small outboard motor for emergencies. Still lots of plannibg to do.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
BenCantrell

RIP Bob! I never met you, but you sounded like an incredible person and were a friend to many on this board.

I'm reviving this thread because I'm eager to get back to long distance paddles once the stay-at-home orders are lifted. Back in March I did a 20 mile paddle (ok fine, it was 19.9 miles), so now I'm thinking about 25 miles. The earlier sunrise will help. Really all I have to do is fish less and paddle more. I don't see it being that bad.

lowprofile, let's do a launch from Carlsbad or Oceanside once we're able to. Maybe those sharks will be around.

Anyone else interested in this sort of thing?

I'd also be down for a Baja trip in the fall with an overnight stay somewhere that can only be reached by water.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
RIP Bob! I never met you, but you sounded like an incredible person and were a friend to many on this board.

I'm reviving this thread because I'm eager to get back to long distance paddles once the stay-at-home orders are lifted. Back in March I did a 20 mile paddle (ok fine, it was 19.9 miles), so now I'm thinking about 25 miles. The earlier sunrise will help. Really all I have to do is fish less and paddle more. I don't see it being that bad.

lowprofile, let's do a launch from Carlsbad or Oceanside once we're able to. Maybe those sharks will be around.

Anyone else interested in this sort of thing?

I'd also be down for a Baja trip in the fall with an overnight stay somewhere that can only be reached by water.
I might be game for this, I'll probably be pedaling but id be in none the less, especially if we are looking for pelagics along the way.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
BenCantrell

Anyone interested in a 20 mile day, 10 miles straight out from either LJ or MB and then 10 miles back? I'd like to see some blue water.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

Keep an eye on the chloro charts. It will probably happen again this year or next. Once the conditions align and the tuna move in tighter I will be down to join you. When we fished 8-10 miles out it ended up being almost a 30 mile day. You are on the right track!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Also a straight out and back can be tough. I would have a secondary landing point as least as a backup plan. You hit 1.5kt downhill current and 10kt NW winds, its an uphill paddle on the way back. We planned to land at mission bay after launching LJ. But luckily didn't get sucked too far south (we were still off PB by the time we started heading back in)
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #14
BenCantrell

Thanks Chris, good advice.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
fishkiller951
Junior

Sad to read this with Mako Bob comments in there still getting after it.
fishkiller951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #16
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Also a straight out and back can be tough. I would have a secondary landing point as least as a backup plan. You hit 1.5kt downhill current and 10kt NW winds, its an uphill paddle on the way back. We planned to land at mission bay after launching LJ. But luckily didn't get sucked too far south (we were still off PB by the time we started heading back in)

I've done big loops anticipating the wind in the later part of the day to help me get back to the landing site.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
Flounder

Quote:
IF you have 3 ppl you can land and uber back to the og launch! I will be down as soon the tuna get closer and the Dorado come back. Its also fun to run into skipjack bonita baracuda yellows randomly out there.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #18
Flounder

Quote:
IF you have 3 ppl you can land and uber back to the og launch! I will be down as soon the tuna get closer and the Dorado come back. Its also fun to run into skipjack bonita baracuda yellows randomly out there.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #19
BenCantrell

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll post when I'm thinking about doing some long days like this so people can consider joining.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
BenCantrell

Looking to do another long paddle this weekend, 25-30 miles. I haven't decided on whether to do straight out from MB, straight out from LJ, or a route that stays closer to the coast. Send me a PM if you're interested.