Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
steveooo

Sharing & Caring, Part 2

I have been promising a coworker that I’d take him out fishing someday again. Ever sine the last time when my superior guide skills put him on a 10” Hali, he has been hooked, sending me e-mails daily somewhere along the lines of “When we gonna go?”

Friday seemed good, so we braved the fog and wind, went south from dana, and were fishing by 6am.
Around 7 he said “Aww, I think I’m stuck on the bottom” I tell him to reel up to free it. I see that he is gaining some line and I tell him he has a fish on.

He doesn’t believe me that it is a fish until we see color on a nice hali. I immediately see visions of blowing four consecutive gaff shots, and then I see every fish I have ever lost, and meanwhile, he is still up front screaming like a girl. Luck was on my side and one gaff shot was all it took to have 17 lbs of hali beating the hell out of both of us, and bitch slapping him on the back of the head. To all the people that ask “Where would you put a big fish on a Hobie?” Now ask that same question with two grown men and a pissed off Halibut on the same boat and you have pure comedy.

After the fish is a bit calmer we decide to fish a bit more, and in short order, he has a pretty decent Sheep at the boat. He was the biggest sheep I had seen that had not made the ful sex-change. Almost 5 lbs with oversize chompers.

After we release it I keep telling myself that I must be a great guide, because I have been fending off Cuda and Sandbass all day. We head in, I fillet the fish for him, take my finders fee fillets, and realize that I have created a monster. My co-worker is absolutely hooked now as evidenced by constant "When we gonna go?" and "I'm going to buy a Kayak" e-mails. So I’ll forward him the links to any Yaks for sale that I see on this board.

On the beach
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Dennis

Way to rock the tandem...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

I could use some tips. WTG!
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I am jealous of the cigar and the fish
Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
JrBasser

Nice hali! I decided to make a hali drift just north of the pier last time I was in La Jolla and got a skunk. This post motivates me to give it another try.

And If your buddy wants a killer used fishing platform have him give Rik a call over at the kearney mesa oex sdka store. He has a killer Yellow trident 15 used only a few times with a kayatank installed for sell that he would probably give you a great deal on.

By the way, you've spoiled him much too quicklyy!

Last edited by JrBasser; 01-04-2009 at 08:45 PM.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
yakrider

you should be ashamed of yourself...creating a monster....
turning that guy on the the drug of kayak fishing...
he's gonna be an addict for sure!!!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Dan

you're such a nice guy steve....when someone wants to learn to kayak fish with me. I tell them: meet me at the end of scripps pier at 4AM.

way to put your homie on the nice flatty.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
T Bone

So when are we gonna go?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
.when someone wants to learn to kayak fish with me. I tell them: meet me at the end of scripps pier at 4AM.
Classic

Nice report Steve
Old 01-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
FishSeeker

great job