Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
outdoorzen

La Jolla Sevengill sharks?

Hello all. My wife and I were SUPing @ La Jolla on he 6th. In close just South of the Marine room in about 10 feet of water, I saw a flash of what I thought was a big WSB. After seeing another one, I realized it was a big grey shark. I saw another 4-5 cruising around under my board and they ran about 5-7 feet long with some serious girth. I've seen plenty of leopards but never these guys. Does anyone know what these guys are? Thanks for the info, first post, long time eavesdropper.
outdoorzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
T-Rex

I caught a small 2' seven gill a couple of years ago at LJ. Nasty lil sucker tried to bite the crap out of me when i was removing the hook. I wouldn't want to mess with a big one - or another small one agaim for that matter. They're pretty easy to identify - grey with a long tail and the dorsal fin is positioned back toward the tail. There have been a lot of big soupfin around lately, but the ones I've caught and seen have been a lot more brown than grey.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
taggermike

7 gills are in LJ but they are ususally deeper especialy in the summer. 7 gills are kinda brownish tan with spots, with a broad short head, and a long tail. 7s look like slugs but they can get determined at times. The spear guys in LJ occationaly end up going mano a mano with them over speared WSB. If they were grey they might have been soup fins. We don't have too many sharks in so cal that fit your discription. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Sounds like Soupfin.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

When you say "grey" and "serious girth", I would guess they were juvenile Great Whites instead of Soupfin... just to throw out an exciting possibility.

Personally I would not consider Soupfins to be "thick" sharks.

The San Diego coast, especially San Onofre is a prime hangout spot for juvenile Great Whites.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 09-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
rcappelle
Get Me Goin!

Did it Look like This?

rcappelle is offline   Reply With Quote