Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #61
walkonwater
Junior

The truth is that you receive more radiation from the sun while you are fishing than radiation from the fish that you would catch/eat.
walkonwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Don't believe everything you read! Especially when it's not published in a peer reviewed scientific journal! A study of 15 Pacific bluefin caught off San Diego in August last year found levels of radioactive cesium 10 times higher than in fish caught in previous years and provide “unequivocal evidence” that the radiation came from Fukushima, researchers including Daniel Madigan and Nicholas Fisher said in a study published yesterday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Contamination levels, which the authors say are not a danger to public health, are likely to decline even though cesium has ‘biomagnification’ characteristics, meaning the concentration increases from prey fish to predators when cesium is consumed. That would be offset by the bluefin’s metabolism, which should excrete cesium at a rate of about 2 percent per day
So that's why those pup sealions are dying. They are eating too many Bluefin tuna

Yeah I figured that Bluefin and even possibly Albacore could end up with some trace contaminants but it's important to note that is because during their migration they fed on bait over there and then migrated here. It's not because the radiation has drifted across the ocean and is now contaminating our waters. I don't know about you but personally I do not catch too many kayak bluefin or albacore. I wish I did

The fish kayakers catch locally are clean and as you state even the most tainted Bluefin your likely to catch offshore is still going to be safe to eat.

So speaking of biomagnification how were the mercury levels in those same Bluefin?

Thanks for the post, and clarification!!!!

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #63
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
certainly debateable. based on prior quotes/posts in this thread, and especially considering your next statement....

Bla bla bla. Clearly when slinging insults is the best you can do, then you stick to it

But hey, I bet there are lots of people willing to take your so called contaminated fish off your hands. So no need for you to release them, and possibly magnify the possible contamination

Tight lines!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #64
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post

....2 of the people you arguing with have excellent reading comprehension....
certainly debateable. based on prior quotes/posts in this thread, and especially considering your next statement....

Quote:

Clearly, claiming that there is a potential significant health risk, is the same as claiming the sky is falling.
NO, these are NOT even close to the SAME.

the sky is falling basically means "the entire world is coming to an end", or all of life & civilization is doomed or finished. (go use any search engine out there & research, if you are in denial on this.)

while there are MANY potential significant health risks occurring daily all over the planet, from numerous causes. but NONE of these are going to end the world.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #65
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
So, is this just the start of the end?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #66
Fiskadoro

Quote:
certainly debateable.....

Everything is debatable to the uninformed.

Gary is a psychologist, well read, with superior reading comprehension but he also has that rare ability to read between the lines and catch subtleties, the things others miss. That goes for everything from subtle jokes to subtle neurosis.

He's one of the few people I really enjoy fishing with. Great guy, hell of a hunter, and damn good fisherman.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #67
bubblehide

Quote:
the sky is falling basically means "the entire world is coming to an end", or all of life & civilization is doomed or finished. (go use any search engine out there & research, if you are in denial on this.)

No dude, it's not even close to the same thing. Obviously your in denial again. When someone here is saying the sky is falling, there actually making fun of ridicules outlandish unsubstantiated claims. Those same claims you pushed, but are now backing away from.

Last edited by bubblehide; 09-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #68
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:

....Those same claims you pushed, but are now backing away from.
where & when in this entire thread, am i backing away from anything i previously posted ???

again, your reading comprehension seems EXTREMELY suspect to me.

(and before you make another grand analysis about me "slinging insults", that's not meant as an insult. it's merely what i'm personally seeing/reading throughout this thread here.)

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #69
Aaron&Julie

There seems to be a lot of heated debate going on between a few members with differing opinions and articles they've included in their posts, both during and since my last post on Saturday night. Here it is again for those that missed it:

http://news.msn.com/world/radiation-readings-spike-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant

Has anyone bothered reading this MSN newsfeed article about actual facts, vice your own opinions. The link is included in my last post, as well, and goes into great detail, about what Japan isn't doing to fix their, and now potentially the world's problem with this nuclear crisis. To me, that seems to be far more important than your own opinions. The article woke me up, that one way or the other, some serious detrimental shit is going on over in Japan, which is why I retracted my previous blasé attitude.

Now, if ya all will stop bitchen' at each other for a while, and give the article a good read, you may, like I did, change your own mind (to some degree) about the impact we may or may not be facing, over here.

Obviously, I surely wouldn't want to be living within a few hundred miles of that Nuclear power plant, right now, or even in the future.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 09-02-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed stray characters
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #70
bubblehide

Quote:
where & when in this entire thread, am i backing away from anything i previously posted ???

You have really forgotten already? Do you really want me to go through the thread and post them all up; For everyone to see?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #71
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:

Quote:

No dude, it's not even close to the same thing....

well, just like i do here, MANY sources in the world, would disagree with your post above.

if u want to check some of these MANY sources, use any search engine you want, for this term: "what is the meaning of the sky is falling".

the far MAJORITY of sources coming up in that search, will state something very similar to:

"it means that it is the end of the world".

but i guess we should all just believe what YOU say, that you are correct on this, and everyone else from ALL those sources are wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

Quote:

You have really forgotten already? Do you really want me to go through the thread and post them all up; For everyone to see?

please do !!

i can't wait to see what you come up with here.

i suspect it will be FAR more entertaining (& inaccurate), than is your "personal definition" of the term, the sky is falling.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
ful-rac
Emperor

Ok seems like the only way to settle this matter at this point is to fight it out to the death....

where and when can I watch!

my money is on hobie peddler though...!

You guys are too much! gett'n all heated over nothing!!!
Just go fish'n already! If we all end up dying from radiation poisoning...so be it, there's nothing we can do about it at this point anyway...it's too late, the reactor already melted down...the radiation has already been released...the train has left the station...elvis has left the building... No sense in fighting about it now...but it's entertaining....

Carry on!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #73
Fiskadoro

Quote:
"what is the meaning of the sky is falling".
the far MAJORITY of sources coming up in that search, will state something very similar to: "it means that it is the end of the world". but i guess we should all just believe what YOU say, that you are correct on this, and everyone else from ALL those sources are wrong.
Oh my!!!!

In Chicken Little ( a story that dates back over 2000 years) there is a hen who thinks the world is about to end, and a phrase that translates roughly into "The Sky is falling" is in that story. However for hundreds of years now in the English language "The Sky is falling" has become a phrase that people use to make fun of irrational or hysterical beliefs about possible dangers.

...added later.

Wiki:

Chicken Little, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent. Versions of the story go back more than 25 centuries and it continues to be referenced in a variety of media.

("idiom" what a great descriptive word, wish I had thought of that)

Traditional:
Chicken Little likes to walk in the woods. She likes to look at the trees. She likes to smell the flowers. She likes to listen to the birds singing.
One day while she is walking an acorn falls from a tree, and hits the top of her little head.
My, oh, my, the sky is falling. I must run and tell the lion about it, - says Chicken Little and begins to run.

(old but still good)

1940s
Chicken Little: Listen to me, everybody! I'm your new leader! I'm gonna save your lives! I'm gonna tell you what to do!
Cocky Locky: Don't listen to that pipsqueak. The sky isn't falling.
Chicken Little: I tell ya it is too falling!
Cocky Locky: And I tell you it isn't.
Chicken Little: Is too!
Cocky Locky: All right, if the sky is falling why doesn't it hit me in the head?
[Foxy Loxy hits Cocky Locky with a piece of wood]
Narrator: Hey, wait a minute! This isn't right. That's not the way it ends in my book.
Foxy Loxy: Oh, yeah? Don't believe everything you read, brother!

(Don't believe everything you read..... indeed!!)

2003:
Rumsfeld: Let me say one other thing. The images you are seeing on television you are seeing over, and over, and over, and it's the same picture of some person walking out of some building with a vase, and you see it 20 times, and you think, "My goodness, were there that many vases?" (Laughter.)

Q: Do you think that the words "anarchy" and "lawlessness" are ill-chosen?

Rumsfeld: Absolutely. I picked up a newspaper today and I couldn't believe it. I read eight headlines that talked about chaos, violence, unrest. And it just was Henny Penny -- "The sky is falling." I've never seen anything like it! And here is a country that's being liberated, here are people who are going from being repressed and held under the thumb of a vicious dictator, and they're free. And all this newspaper could do, with eight or 10 headlines, they showed a man bleeding, a civilian, who they claimed we had shot -- one thing after another. It's just unbelievable how people can take that away from what is happening in that country!

(I wouldn't say Rumsfeld is talking about the end of the world there. He's instead stated (with condescension) that reporters were being hysterical, or mistaken, when they talked about the then potential problems in Iraq. They questioned whether a disastrous breakdown of social order was imminent, as displayed by rioting and looting, and Rumsfeld in response confidently made fun of what he saw as their irrational beliefs)

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #74
jorluivil

I have proof that the radiation is having a negative effect on local fishing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #75
CR Yaker

Is there any way to use that radiation to our benefit, if we could collect it, harness it, run our FF's off it?

Last edited by CR Yaker; 09-02-2013 at 05:40 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #76
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Is there any way to use that radiation to our benefit, if we could collect it, harness it, run our FF's off it?

Yes there is, but you would need a sky hook.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #77
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Oh my!!!!

In Chicken Little ( a story that dates back over 2000 years) there is a hen who thinks the world is about to end, and a phrase that translates roughly into "The Sky is falling" is in that story. However for hundreds of years now in the English language "The Sky is falling" has become a phrase that people use to make fun of irrational or hysterical beliefs about possible dangers.

...added later.

Wiki:

Chicken Little, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent. Versions of the story go back more than 25 centuries and it continues to be referenced in a variety of media.

("idiom" what a great descriptive word, wish I had thought of that)

Traditional:
Chicken Little likes to walk in the woods. She likes to look at the trees. She likes to smell the flowers. She likes to listen to the birds singing.
One day while she is walking an acorn falls from a tree, and hits the top of her little head.
My, oh, my, the sky is falling. I must run and tell the lion about it, - says Chicken Little and begins to run.

(old but still good)

1940s
Chicken Little: Listen to me, everybody! I'm your new leader! I'm gonna save your lives! I'm gonna tell you what to do!
Cocky Locky: Don't listen to that pipsqueak. The sky isn't falling.
Chicken Little: I tell ya it is too falling!
Cocky Locky: And I tell you it isn't.
Chicken Little: Is too!
Cocky Locky: All right, if the sky is falling why doesn't it hit me in the head?
[Foxy Loxy hits Cocky Locky with a piece of wood]
Narrator: Hey, wait a minute! This isn't right. That's not the way it ends in my book.
Foxy Loxy: Oh, yeah? Don't believe everything you read, brother!

(Don't believe everything you read..... indeed!!)

2003:
Rumsfeld: Let me say one other thing. The images you are seeing on television you are seeing over, and over, and over, and it's the same picture of some person walking out of some building with a vase, and you see it 20 times, and you think, "My goodness, were there that many vases?" (Laughter.)

Q: Do you think that the words "anarchy" and "lawlessness" are ill-chosen?

Rumsfeld: Absolutely. I picked up a newspaper today and I couldn't believe it. I read eight headlines that talked about chaos, violence, unrest. And it just was Henny Penny -- "The sky is falling." I've never seen anything like it! And here is a country that's being liberated, here are people who are going from being repressed and held under the thumb of a vicious dictator, and they're free. And all this newspaper could do, with eight or 10 headlines, they showed a man bleeding, a civilian, who they claimed we had shot -- one thing after another. It's just unbelievable how people can take that away from what is happening in that country!

(I wouldn't say Rumsfeld is talking about the end of the world there. He's instead stated (with condescension) that reporters were being hysterical, or mistaken, when they talked about the then potential problems in Iraq. They questioned whether a disastrous breakdown of social order was imminent, as displayed by rioting and looting, and Rumsfeld in response confidently made fun of what he saw as their irrational beliefs)

Jim, now your just showing off your superior grasp of what you read. We've both wasted enough time here, it's time to
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #78
Roundeye
Junior

Quote:
Jim, now your just showing off your superior grasp of what you read. We've both wasted enough time here, it's time to
Now lets all hold hands and sing a song
Roundeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #79
StinkyMatt

I did some research....

I found that increased levels of radiation will cause:

1. Grown men to behave like junior high girls.

2. Internet posts to be way, way too long.

3. Erectile dysfunction.

Quit eating the crappy fish!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #80
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I have proof that the radiation is having a negative effect on local fishing.
Stay out of Malibu!!!

Quote:
Jim, now your just showing off...
Yep I always quote Chicken Little when I want to impress people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundeye View Post
Now lets all hold hands and sing a song
This is why I stay out of Malibu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I found that increased levels of radiation will cause... Erectile dysfunction.
Voice of experience? I eat plenty of tuna, and have had no issues whatsoever. Maybe it's a quality not a quantity issue.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.