Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
bigbarrels

How to fix a hole in a kayak?

Any ideas on the best way to fix a hole in a kayak? The rudder was pulled out and there is a quarter-sized hole in the kayak. Thanks in advance!

bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Billy V

If you're down here in San Diego...
Bring it to the OEX Shop at Mission Bay and let CJ give it a try.

Its your best shot at fixing it correctly.
-------------------
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Aaron

See here and then here for best options...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
driftwood

Honestly, I would write off my losses and not even think of fixing that thing. You don't want to repeat that nightmare all over again. It ain't worth it.. time to buy a new kayak.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
tony

Zombie kayak
Considering the bizarre turn of events you've had lately I bet you could launch it into the sky with helium balloons..... it would land at the Malibu factory....they repair it and ship it by airplane to a Baja charity.....during the flight it falls out of the plane and lands in your neighbors pool......
problem solved.....
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Honestly, I would write off my losses and not even think of fixing that thing. You don't want to repeat that nightmare all over again. It ain't worth it.. time to buy a new kayak.
I agree - time to buy a Hobie.
Hands free fishing with a top speed of 6 mph.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Have you checked your homeowners or renter's insurance policy. They sometimes cover the most bizarre things. This certainly qualifies as bizarre.

I would also give Malibu a call. I bet they would love to help make you whole again, especially considering that the reason your yak sunk has a lot to do with the product design.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
mo2vation

Exellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Have you checked your homeowners or renter's insurance policy. They sometimes cover the most bizarre things. This certainly qualifies as bizarre.

I would also give Malibu a call. I bet they would love to help make you whole again, especially considering that the reason your yak sunk has a lot to do with the product design.

Bob
I have had manufacturers offer and do the most unexpected things when I contact them with my story and my photos.

I would absolutely put together the story - the whole story, the photos and the timeline of events - and get in contact with Malibu.

Throw the hail mary - you may be surprised. You're not looking to get over, or have them throw in a boat for free - but there is an excellent chance they will use your story of Laz the 'yak and assist a loyal customer.

-Ken
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
bellcon

So I guess Duct Tape is not gonna work here?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
GregAndrew

I would bet that Andy at OEX Sunset Beach can fix it.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
bigbarrels

Thanks for the suggestions! I have sent Malibu kayaks three emails as of today with confirmations emails from Malibu kayaks stating that they will get in touch with me within 48 hours. I posted the link to my story along with the link on the the recovery of my kayak along with 4 questions:

1. Was the sit in the rear hatch bait tank not suppose to run without a timer?
2. Have you had problems with the rear hatch with other customers with and without a bait tank in place? (ie. sinking or taking on water)
3. Know of any deals on an Extreme in Southern California? (hint.....hint)

4. Any suggestions on how to fix a hole in the back of kayak? (todays question with a picture of Yak)

So far no response from Malibu kayaks and it has been around 12 days. I've had amazing offers on kayaks and gear from a lot of generous people on BWE and from friends but no response thus far from Malibu kayaks. I'm not expecting anything from Malibu except at least a courteous response to my questions (1,2, and 4)

I think making a couple of chairs out of it might be perfect.....thanks for the advice
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
newguy01

kayak

some one on this site is selling a 08 adventure for 1200 i would jump on it its a steel and comes with bait tank and fish finder i think the name is bentrod
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I have sent Malibu kayaks three emails as of today with confirmations emails from Malibu kayaks stating that they will get in touch with me within 48 hours. I posted the link to my story along with the link on the the recovery of my kayak along with 4 questions:

1. Was the sit in the rear hatch bait tank not suppose to run without a timer?
2. Have you had problems with the rear hatch with other customers with and without a bait tank in place? (ie. sinking or taking on water)
3. Know of any deals on an Extreme in Southern California? (hint.....hint)

4. Any suggestions on how to fix a hole in the back of kayak? (todays question with a picture of Yak)

So far no response from Malibu kayaks and it has been around 12 days. I've had amazing offers on kayaks and gear from a lot of generous people on BWE and from friends but no response thus far from Malibu kayaks. I'm not expecting anything from Malibu except at least a courteous response to my questions (1,2, and 4)

I think making a couple of chairs out of it might be perfect.....thanks for the advice
Tom,

You bought your kayak from me, I'll call Malibu on Monday morning on your behalf.

If you wanted, I could easily fix that as well.

I had a customer have his kayak come off his vehicle in transit and Malibu replaced it for the price of raw materials.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
WahooUSMA

Take it to the recycling center...and like Billy said, "Time to get a Hobie"

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Iceman, you are a class act.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
bigbarrels

Andy,

Thanks for your reply and I greatly appreciate you going out of your way to try to help me out If it is alright with you, I can bring my kayak by the shop next week (5-11) so you can take a look at the XFactor? This week is stacked with fishing La Jolla on Tuesday with the Tarpon 130(weather permitting), work, a 3 day conference, and then work again.

Thanks again for your kind offer and I agree with Bob 100%

Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

Right on Tom, I will call you sometime tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
dick fabulous

Lawn Art

2 chairs is a cool idea big b. Right there in the yard. What a story tellin spot. Pseudo La Jolla Lawn Art !
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
Aaron

This is exactly why you buy from your local shop. I bought from OEX a long time ago and this just reaffirms why. Gotta love good customer service. Try to get that from ebay or some dude on craigslist!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
bigbarrels

Quote:
Quote:

Bob
Just got off the phone with my renters insurance claim adjuster who stated that my kayak wasn't covered but all of my lost gear is covered......I have a $500 deductable but I'm going to get all my gear back so I'm super stoked thank you for the tip.....they said everything that cost less than $500.00 doesn't require receipts or proof of ownership......good thing because I didn't save receipts

Also Malibu is going to sell me a Blem X-13 for $300 thanks to some help by Andy

So whole new setup for around $800.00

Thanks for the advice

tom

Last edited by bigbarrels; 05-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.