Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
StinkyMatt

After all these photos, especially the monster fish shots...............

I am ready for the stocked trout action at Irvine!

Damn People what are you trying to do to me, now I cant sleep for a few nights!

Damn it!

Honey, I need $5000 bucks to go south to catch a BIG A$$ fish.....please
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Honey, I need $5000 bucks to go south to catch a BIG A$$ fish.....please
You can get down south and catch a big one with me in Baja for a lot less than 5K!
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
GregAndrew

After losing a nice Butt type puller the week before in some 2-3' surf conditions, I figure 3-5' can't be that much worse right? Unfortunately I failed to check the interval (along with a slew of other things I forgot to do). The surf was not that bad by itself (until I returned later in the afternoon), but the short intervals made for a long gauntlet. The video you are about to see is performed by an untrained nonprofessional, don't try this at home. The duration of the onslaught was about 40 minutes total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zi9P...layer_embedded
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
After losing a nice Butt type puller the week before in some 2-3' surf conditions, I figure 3-5' can't be that much worse right? Unfortunately I failed to check the interval (along with a slew of other things I forgot to do). The surf was not that bad by itself (until I returned later in the afternoon), but the short intervals made for a long gauntlet. The video you are about to see is performed by an untrained nonprofessional, don't try this at home. The duration of the onslaught was about 40 minutes total.

That was tuff to watch.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
RK

Greg that was brutal dude...
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
TCS

WSB

WSB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCS_5[1].jpg (41.6 KB, 294 views)
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
theluckypig

hey greg, that's a great video for us beginning surf launchers... cabrillo is so home sweet home...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
lbsurf2ca

Quote:

Greg that one 100% pure drama. Man you really love fishing. That was a valiant effort. Being a surfer since a kid we would always watch kayakers and just wait for incidents like that on the beach. We loved it. It wasn't until I started kayak fishing that I could appreciate a safe landing. Great video thanks for sharing.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
The duration of the onslaught was about 40 minutes total.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zi9P...layer_embedded
That was tough to watch.

Something must be wrong with my speakers though, heard the agua, yet I did not hear an "Oh, phook..." or "Phook me...", not even, "Chit".

Tried adjusting the speakers, guess I need to have them checked. Don't tell me as calm as you are with halis you managed to stay this calm as well...?

San O can be fun...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
YakMedic

Greg, that footage is hard to watch. But it surely counts as action shots. Hope you pulled on a big flatty after that experience.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #32
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemonster View Post
hahahaha dude you suck big balls at launching your kayak....first of all your paddling like a CHACH....second get a real kayak (HOBIE OUTBACK,REVO,PA) SET YOUR GAME UP
GEASER
Spell check is normally free, but for you, it's gonna cost ya...

Look this one up, beyotch.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
yani

T-Man, that can't be San-O. Ya, there's cliffs, but
I've never seen San-O without a break in the sets????

Greg, you say "short intervals"?? I say "NO INTERVALS!!"
I never saw a break in the sets!!

My Great Greek GrandPappy once said:

There's come a time when you've got to grab the bull by
the tail, and face the situation.

ClaireMonsterDufess: You need a paddle in your arms to
tackle surf like that. A Hobie rudder can't cut it. Save your
money, stick a Go Pro on, then show us. Instead of being
just a mouth.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #34
erinoo

FISH ON
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gonzaga trip 044.jpg (48.3 KB, 247 views)
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #35
Jim Sammons LJKF

Greg, That was BRUTAL, thanks for sharing. Why with the ease of stowing rods in the Tridents didn't you put them in the hull? I doubt I would have attempted launching in that and certainly not with the rods out. You really sacked up even trying. Was your forward hatch not latched?
If I can give one tip though it would be this. When really trying to drive your kayak hard you should keep your feet in the boat. Use your legs to help with your torso rotation and you get a lot more power out of your stroke, it also keeps you in better contact with the boat for better control.
Much props for putting this up for everyone to see and learn from and even more for making the attempt to launch in that.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #36
sasha

Hey Greg. First off i dont want to come across as an A**. Just have a Q from a new guy. but i did notice that a few times between the waves you would slow down and start peddling hard again right before the waves hits you. Was there a reason why you didnt go as fast as you can till you pass the waves??? Would having too much speed gives a wave a better chance to roll you??

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
mtnbykr2

Generally speaking Greg your videos have such happy endings...having been in that predicament before I personally had trouble watching as well,
but thanks for some excellent onboard camera footage whether it was intended or not, I know this one will go down in your personal history, and not easily forgotten, or paid for...sorry for the hard knocks hope you were able to salvage some stuff, thank you for being brave enough to share, I don't think I could have done that...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #38
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

That video reminds me of some of, if not all my baja launches.. Glad there was no such thing as GoPro back in the day!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #39
fknricter

pb wsb

pup before release

and release
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
GregAndrew

Jim: You know the saying "familiarity breeds contempt"? I never even thought that I might lose any equipment. Other than my first outing, I have not lost an outfit or, for that matter, much of anything. I had been fairly cautious about leashing all my rods and securing the top of my bait tank that held items like my VHF and Boga. Don't get me wrong, I have been wrong side up several times, but everything important has been well secured. Because I was thinking that the worst that could happen is that I get wet, I did not give my yak the prelaunch check I should have.

I do know about foot bracing and using my torso for extra power, but "old habits die hard". I was less concerned with speed than stability because there were 2 swell directions. As it turns out, a little more speed would have been the call for the wash that got me. I knew that a dash was not going to happen with legwells full of water most of the time, so I was watching and waiting for a lull. Unfortunately, the lulls that I saw before I got in the water were occuring about 200 yards north of where I had been swept to (didn't realize that till I was swimming).

Yes, my front hatch was closed. I replaced the straps with Bungee cord which held up very well.

Sasha: After a wave breaks, it starts to lose power. The further after it breaks that you hit it, the easier it is to get through. I was looking for a window where I could get through the area between the break and where the whitewater became manageable. Unfortunately, that distance was probably about 100 feet, and no lulls were in my immediate future.

Shortly after my last swim, I had finally moved far enough South to find another area that had lulls. I made it out to fish for 3 or 4 hours till I was too cold and wet to continue.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote