Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Trip comparison.

I have been asked an interesting question from a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
If you will please, compare the good and the not so good experiences between your Cedros trip and your Alaska trip. Awesome post!
Thanks in advance.
Well, I don’t think the two trips can be compared against each other.

For example, there is a big difference in cost of the trips.
The Cedros package of (6) six days outing is a 4.5 days of fishing. For about $2,200.00
The Alaskan Anglers Inn (AAI) is $3,690 for the same 4.5 days of fishing.
The Cedros package (2,200.00) includes round trip transportation from San Diego.
My plane ticket to Gustavus from LAX and back was $635.00
The plane cost changes on a daily basis, like stock market. Another guest paid $1,200.00 to join us. Same Alaska Airlines trip.
Both packages exclude tips, and alcohol.
While AAI included vacuum packing and fishing license.
The Cedros Outdoor Adventures (COA) did not.

Due to small plane of (COA), the weight of your luggage is limited, but no cost.
On (AAL), there is a cost, but you may be able to check in more luggage. Depending on the total check-ins by others and also bigger plane capacity.

All fishing gear is included on (AAI) as well as heavy duty rain gear and boots if needed.
Fishing rods are available at Cedros for no charge. Everything else needs to come with you. Thus, cutting into your free weight allowance for bringing back fish. No rain gear needed at Cedros.

Catch comparison:
I made a quick check online and found these prices. They are subject to change as usual.

Yellowtail, $15.87 per pound. The short version is that this is sort of like C-levels Catalina yellowtail report, but with less bait and less fish and it cost way more than twice as much.

These halibut steaks are pressurized and packaged for shipping. Other seafood retailers may sell cheeks for about $20 to $26 per pound and smoked fillets for $30 to $40 per pound. The whole halibut, without any work done to it, can be within that $12 to $21+ per pound range.

Side note: I did not get any halibut cheeks in my box. I should have had at least eight of them. I was told I should have asked for them!!!!!!

Wild caught Coho salmon per pound is about $20.00

Lastly, as far as rooms, provided food and service, I would say they are both similar.
The Jacuzzi and rec. center at AAI were a plus, the fishing boats were better with all kind of electronic devises. The captains were more experienced, hard working.

Both places have short season, Alaska for getting too cold and Cedros for getting too hot and stormy.

No passport needed for Alaska. English is spoken there. No driving on foreign country roads.

I had great time on both adventures. Being wiser the second trip at Cedros.
Already made my list of what to bring, dos and don’ts for the next year’s trip to Alaska.

I hope I answered some questions. If there are more specific questions, please post here and I will do my best to answer them.

The End.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
walrus

I wasn't very clear in my question, I actually was asking more about the fishing experience, and not so much about cost or travel.

At both places you can catch fish, although different species. But what understood in reading the post was that in Alaska it was "This is how we do it, so this what you'll do" and in Cedros its was "Here's how we catch fish here, now your on your own from here". I don't have any bias toward either method the guides use, because they both have good points and not so good points. Your experiences could help me and others in knowing what we should be asking before booking into a bucket list trip.

Again thanks I guess I wasn't very clear the first time. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Part two
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I wasn't very clear in my question, I actually was asking more about the fishing experience, and not so much about cost or travel.

At both places you can catch fish, although different species. But what understood in reading the post was that in Alaska it was "This is how we do it, so this what you'll do" and in Cedros its was "Here's how we catch fish here, now you’re on your own from here". I don't have any bias toward either method the guides use, because they both have good points and not so good points. Your experiences could help me and others in knowing what we should be asking before booking into a bucket list trip.

Again thanks I guess I wasn't very clear the first time. Thanks again.

I had a feeling, maybe I was not on the right track, but I hope what I posted was helpful too.
Add these two posts to the Alaska trip 2020.Part two report and you should have a good advantage on what to expect and do to have a great trip.

Here is what I hope answers your question better.

Alaska trip:
First of all, it should be understood that I had one captain for the entire trip. We had nothing to do with choosing the captain, but I am sure if I did not want to fish with a certain captain, it can be arranged.
My explanation of what happened to me on the trip should not be any negative reflection on our captain. He worked hard and I will be happy to fish with him again. Now that I know how the system works.

As I mentioned in the original report, I had taken a lot of gear with me. Over $350.00 worth. From Pautzke juice and Pro-cure scent liquids to special spreader bar and artificial lures.
I had even made wiggle Hoochie rigs with bead swivel and 11” dodger blades. I watched a lot of YouTube videos to learn from others who fish the Alaskan waters.
However, the issue became with the fish being divided between the four anglers. When I asked to use my wiggle Hoochie, the captain said for only 20 minutes, if it does not produce.

Side note: As a paid customer, I had every right to force my ways. However, when we were to fish as a group for 4.5 days, it would have not been a pleasant atmosphere. At one point the caption mentioned that his (their) technique was productive for the last 40 years. I decided not to argue and keep peace on the boat. He also gave an example of a group. Which was a biker and his girlfriend with an elderly Asian man and his son. Apparently, the elder angler would lose fish and the biker would get upset and use profane language. The captain had to have a talk with the biker and ask him to show respect. The atmosphere was not too pleasant.

It is not to say that I never got my way. I like to use left handed conventional reels. I even took all the proper size left handed reels and put them on the boat’s rods. There again, there was an issue with the line choice. I had mono on the biggest reel instead of braid for halibut. I had braid and mono top-shot on salmon reel. I kept setting the hook too hard with braid and lost several pink salmon. When I used boat’s reel with all mono, the landing rate was better. Fishing at the 180’ or so depth was better with all braid line.
Next year, I will have all the proper reels and line on them to use.

The first day of trolling for salmon; the captain would see the ever so slight rod twitch. He then would jump and remove the rod from its holder. He then would reel very fast and once sure the fish was on; he would pass it to us to reel in the fish.

Well, 90% of the reason that I go fishing is to feel the tug and set the hook. I have heard of this technique before from others. The second day, I put a stop to it and told the captain that I will set the hook. For one think he felt awkward with the left hand reel, but he also realized that I was serious.
He said, “well as long as you don’t miss the fish”. I told him the only way I would learn how to do it right is to try it. After that other anglers also started to set the hook themselves, which gave the captain time to do his part.
We caught a lot of salmon and we had a lot fun. We worked as a team doing what needed to be done, while the captain was netting the fish.

One thing I regret not thinking about it sooner and believe you me, it will be different next year is how to deal with the halibut rod.
Our captain had four rods in rod holders. As the rod tip would move with fish would bite the bait, we would reel slow and steady to set the 16/0 circle hook. Then we kept the rod in the holder until the fish surfaced. At which point, the captain would remove the rod and give it to us to hold firm as well as the heavy sinker. He then would gaff the fish. If we were to keep it, he would bring it on-board and remove the hook.
Reeling a big fish was not easy, and I keep wondering now if we had the rods out of the holders and by doing the “lift and reel” it would have been easier.
The reels were two speed, but for some reason, using the low gear is considered less manly! Less macho.
I did not care and used the lower gear. I knew it took longer to reel in the fish. My back was more important.

Lastly, I will check on how much fish is in my box at the end of each day. This would allow me to make an informed decision, if we catch another Gaffed fish.
On the second day, a “gaffed fish” (see the original report for explanation of the term) was caught. Using the “bird in the hand” principal, the boat decided to keep the fish and split the $400.00 cost. However, by the last day, I had one full box plus a 1/3 of (50 lbs.) box fish. I decided to give the 1/3 box to others who did not have as much halibut. That meant that I spent $100.00 to give fish to others.
Personally it is not a big deal with me, given I only kept maybe #10 of my fish for myself at home. I also paid $100.00 freight for the first box.
However, others may not want to give away so much fish.

Next year, I will bring back the second box if I am so lucky. If I do not have any check-in and with AAL Credit card purchase of the plane ticket, the first box would be free. The second box $40.00. I will also make sure to ask for the cheeks this time.

My impression of the lodge employees was that they really wanted us to have a great trip. They worked hard and given the difficult circumstance that we all faced, it was not easy.
I am not sure if all the outfits have the anglers share the fish they catch. There are good and bad points to both methods. Most likely they share. It is much easier on keeping record.

In conclusion, if you go and if possible, go with a group of friends. Listen to the captain, but do not be shy to ask to do what you like within reason. The captain depends on tips as addition to their salary, so a happy customer may tip better than an unhappy one.

Cedros:
There is no comparison as to the boats and captains with Alaska. Besides the language issue, the captains are local fisherman, who know where the fish “maybe” located.
Cedros trip is for seasoned anglers as oppose to the Alaska trips. As the captain in Alaska said, he deals mainly with elderly anglers with means to travel to Alaska and want everything done for them.

For Cedros, again it is better to go in group of three’s. The package includes three on the super Panga.
Thus, getting along with other anglers in the same Panga is important.

However, it is possible to reduce the number of anglers on the panga, and even have it as a private boat. It does cost more, but it is possible.

There is nothing to do after fishing at Cedros. If you have the energy in Alaska, for the Gustavus trip, you can do other activity. See my original report for more information.

If there are still more questions, please feel free to post them here.

The End.
P.S. Earlier today Alaska Airlines had a two for one; less than $475.00 round trip for two to Ketchikan or Gustavus. It maybe good for today only.

ANYONE WANTS TO GO?????
Old 08-10-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
ekkoa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Part two

I had a feeling, maybe I was not on the right track, but I hope what I posted was helpful too.
Add these two posts to the Alaska trip 2020.Part two report and you should have a good advantage on what to expect and do to have a great trip.

Here is what I hope answers your question better.

Alaska trip:
First of all, it should be understood that I had one captain for the entire trip. We had nothing to do with choosing the captain, but I am sure if I did not want to fish with a certain captain, it can be arranged.
My explanation of what happened to me on the trip should not be any negative reflection on our captain. He worked hard and I will be happy to fish with him again. Now that I know how the system works.

As I mentioned in the original report, I had taken a lot of gear with me. Over $350.00 worth. From Pautzke juice and Pro-cure scent liquids to special spreader bar and artificial lures.
I had even made wiggle Hoochie rigs with bead swivel and 11” dodger blades. I watched a lot of YouTube videos to learn from others who fish the Alaskan waters.
However, the issue became with the fish being divided between the four anglers. When I asked to use my wiggle Hoochie, the captain said for only 20 minutes, if it does not produce.

Side note: As a paid customer, I had every right to force my ways. However, when we were to fish as a group for 4.5 days, it would have not been a pleasant atmosphere. At one point the caption mentioned that his (their) technique was productive for the last 40 years. I decided not to argue and keep peace on the boat. He also gave an example of a group. Which was a biker and his girlfriend with an elderly Asian man and his son. Apparently, the elder angler would lose fish and the biker would get upset and use profane language. The captain had to have a talk with the biker and ask him to show respect. The atmosphere was not too pleasant.

It is not to say that I never got my way. I like to use left handed conventional reels. I even took all the proper size left handed reels and put them on the boat’s rods. There again, there was an issue with the line choice. I had mono on the biggest reel instead of braid for halibut. I had braid and mono top-shot on salmon reel. I kept setting the hook too hard with braid and lost several pink salmon. When I used boat’s reel with all mono, the landing rate was better. Fishing at the 180’ or so depth was better with all braid line.
Next year, I will have all the proper reels and line on them to use.

The first day of trolling for salmon; the captain would see the ever so slight rod twitch. He then would jump and remove the rod from its holder. He then would reel very fast and once sure the fish was on; he would pass it to us to reel in the fish.

Well, 90% of the reason that I go fishing is to feel the tug and set the hook. I have heard of this technique before from others. The second day, I put a stop to it and told the captain that I will set the hook. For one think he felt awkward with the left hand reel, but he also realized that I was serious.
He said, “well as long as you don’t miss the fish”. I told him the only way I would learn how to do it right is to try it. After that other anglers also started to set the hook themselves, which gave the captain time to do his part.
We caught a lot of salmon and we had a lot fun. We worked as a team doing what needed to be done, while the captain was netting the fish.

One thing I regret not thinking about it sooner and believe you me, it will be different next year is how to deal with the halibut rod.
Our captain had four rods in rod holders. As the rod tip would move with fish would bite the bait, we would reel slow and steady to set the 16/0 circle hook. Then we kept the rod in the holder until the fish surfaced. At which point, the captain would remove the rod and give it to us to hold firm as well as the heavy sinker. He then would gaff the fish. If we were to keep it, he would bring it on-board and remove the hook.
Reeling a big fish was not easy, and I keep wondering now if we had the rods out of the holders and by doing the “lift and reel” it would have been easier.
The reels were two speed, but for some reason, using the low gear is considered less manly! Less macho.
I did not care and used the lower gear. I knew it took longer to reel in the fish. My back was more important.

Lastly, I will check on how much fish is in my box at the end of each day. This would allow me to make an informed decision, if we catch another Gaffed fish.
On the second day, a “gaffed fish” (see the original report for explanation of the term) was caught. Using the “bird in the hand” principal, the boat decided to keep the fish and split the $400.00 cost. However, by the last day, I had one full box plus a 1/3 of (50 lbs.) box fish. I decided to give the 1/3 box to others who did not have as much halibut. That meant that I spent $100.00 to give fish to others.
Personally it is not a big deal with me, given I only kept maybe #10 of my fish for myself at home. I also paid $100.00 freight for the first box.
However, others may not want to give away so much fish.

Next year, I will bring back the second box if I am so lucky. If I do not have any check-in and with AAL Credit card purchase of the plane ticket, the first box would be free. The second box $40.00. I will also make sure to ask for the cheeks this time.

My impression of the lodge employees was that they really wanted us to have a great trip. They worked hard and given the difficult circumstance that we all faced, it was not easy.
I am not sure if all the outfits have the anglers share the fish they catch. There are good and bad points to both methods. Most likely they share. It is much easier on keeping record.

In conclusion, if you go and if possible, go with a group of friends. Listen to the captain, but do not be shy to ask to do what you like within reason. The captain depends on tips as addition to their salary, so a happy customer may tip better than an unhappy one.

Cedros:
There is no comparison as to the boats and captains with Alaska. Besides the language issue, the captains are local fisherman, who know where the fish “maybe” located.
Cedros trip is for seasoned anglers as oppose to the Alaska trips. As the captain in Alaska said, he deals mainly with elderly anglers with means to travel to Alaska and want everything done for them.

For Cedros, again it is better to go in group of three’s. The package includes three on the super Panga.
Thus, getting along with other anglers in the same Panga is important.

However, it is possible to reduce the number of anglers on the panga, and even have it as a private boat. It does cost more, but it is possible.

There is nothing to do after fishing at Cedros. If you have the energy in Alaska, for the Gustavus trip, you can do other activity. See my original report for more information.

If there are still more questions, please feel free to post them here.

The End.
P.S. Earlier today Alaska Airlines had a two for one; less than $475.00 round trip for two to Ketchikan or Gustavus. It maybe good for today only.

ANYONE WANTS TO GO?????
+1

ekkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
walrus

Thanks good info.

I've never gone on a full service charter trip before but age and health issues are creeping up on me.

I'm not looking to change or bulldog the captain into doing things how I think they should be, I just wanted to get an idea what questions to ask the outfitters when choosing between them. Your post helps, I'll soon be narrowing down my choices, after I talk with each one.

Thanks again, I like you posts.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Mahigeer

Glad to be a help.

P.P.S
After posting the long reply, I woke up middle of the night and remembered that I actually loaned a lure to a friend.

He end up catching some Coho.

Ironically, I did not, but he did.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

If you're going to Alaska for salmon, find an outfit that mooches. Trolling for salmon can get pretty boring. Even better, find one that trolls and once you get a hook up, you pull out the mooching rods and everyone gets a chance at fish. Different parts of Alaska produce differing amounts of fish. By volume, Sitka produces one of the most, if not the most, amount of salmon that any of the other areas. That factored in why I chose that area over others. I also recommend going late season. The silvers, which makes up the bulk of your catch, have had a chance to grow in size. They start to rival the size of kings. It's also 10-15% cheaper that time of year. I think halibut cheeks were mentioned in a post. If you want cheeks and collars, be sure to tell your deckhand. He'll make sure it gets in your box.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Mahigeer

Good advise.

Thanks.

I can't believe how cheap are tickets are on Alaska Airlines right now.

Less than $300.00 round trip.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Went to Cedros late August last year. with CKF(Cedros Kayak Fishing). Jeff and his wife Carrie have a phenomenal set-up..

It is for sure more oriented towards kayak fishing..

Fished 4 days.. Landed 0830 in the morning first day.. headed down the road from the airport to the casita, ate a hot breakfast while the staff greeted us and unloaded all our gear.. an hour later by 0930 just outside the harbor we had our first Yellow in the boat 25+ lb models we likely landed 40-50 just that first day between the 3 of us on the one panga.. 2 others on another Panga..

Day 2,3, & 4 spent fishing hard in the Kayaks.. Fully loaded Hobie New Outbacks, Fishfinders, XL Bait tanks and all.. (Most all fish were caught on Surface Irons) no need for bait tank so staff on the panga kept my bait tank loaded with ice and Tecate

Such a beautiful plane ride, trip scenery... I would recommend Cedros without doubt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.26.05 AM.jpg (48.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.27.53 AM.jpg (53.9 KB, 44 views)

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

For the angler that has more time than money, a kayak camping trip to either Baja or Alaska are options. I would consider ferrying the camper to SW Alaska. Been there during my work tours on tankers and witnessed many calm days of kayak fishable weather in protected waters and good salmon fishing off the shores.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
For the angler that has more time than money, a kayak camping trip to either Baja or Alaska are options. I would consider ferrying the camper to SW Alaska. Been there during my work tours on tankers and witnessed many calm days of kayak fishable weather in protected waters and good salmon fishing off the shores.
Hey, Johnny Boy.. Planning on taking a trip from Cali, to Fl for Layover to Cuba in Jan. But 3 days in Fl. I land @ FLL and have a Air B n B In Hollywood the first night and south beach the last 2 nights.. Got an extra yak? Would love to get out on the water out there, I would cover whatever costs needed of course

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
Mahigeer

There are so many exciting fishing trips out there.

I wish I had the money to do them.

I saw river rafting on calm water in Alaska. Some as long as ten days.

Since I have been to Cedros twice, I am looking into other places. By the way COA has free kayak to use. They are fishing kayaks left by Mr. Sammons, after filming his show.
They are bare, with no toys on them. However, when there is a fast Pangas, not too many want to go on a kayak.