Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
onetriphudson

LJ 7/31 Report and Rescue

We got out last Friday afternoon for a quick session. Had to park a full mile from the beach. The launch was wet, sloppy, and unusually cold. I heard a group of cove swimmers say the water temp was 60, but I checked later and the NOAA buoy said it was 57! Also noticed a monster surf fish (spotfin croaker?) on the launch.

Rescue: After starting to make bait, we got a little past the Bump and noticed a guy clinging on to the side of another fisherman's Pro Angler. Some poor guy had taken on water and his kayak (green Hobie passport?) was submerged about 20 yards away. He had been swimming for a while until another guy came up and discovered him. The gear was floating everywhere and we helped recover his cooler, wheels and bait tank. The lifeguards had already been called and two guys came out on a ski. They tried towing the flipped and floating kayak but ended up just taking the fisherman back to the beach and returning later for the kayak. Before we parted ways, we exchanged numbers to get the gear returned to him but I have not heard back from anyone. This is an attempt to directly reach the guy that flipped (I think his name was Nick and it was his first time out). I have your Hobie wheels and cooler.

Fishing: After the rescue, and strapping down the extra gear, we went back to looking for bait. Scored a tank of greenbacks and jacks and slow trolled around for a couple more hours. Swell got pretty huge around the corner, and that combined with super cold water sort of talked us out of trying too much harder. Ended up with 2 calico, 1 whitefish, 1 rockfish - all released. Landing was a circus with rental kayaks getting absolutely destroyed left and right. Tide was straight up to the triangle. My own landing was less than graceful, no way to time the mixed swell. Ending up surfing one in and almost pearled my PA14. Jumped out, grabbed the bow and glided in backwards.

Beers and tacos.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
pistol

Rescue

Yes crazy indeed. Never seen anyone sink before. I was there and my friend has the cooler and wheels if the victim responds. Waves got crazy- we made it in but it was not pretty. Caught a handful of calicos before it got too ugly out there.
pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
jkim0130

That's really scary. I'm glad he is OK. I am getting my VHF radio tomorrow!
jkim0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
NICKWORN

attached to PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim0130 View Post
That's really scary. I'm glad he is OK. I am getting my VHF radio tomorrow!
A lot of dudes attach their VHF to the kayak, well you fall out or are unable to get to the yak, well that radio is useless right.

I secure mine to my NRS life jacket.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
A lot of dudes attach their VHF to the kayak, well you fall out or are unable to get to the yak, well that radio is useless right.

likewise.

Glad the guy was ok.

I know it sounds crazy and it was probably just kelp or something but a month or two ago I was fishing for calicos a couple hundred yards off the beach around the point and I saw what looked like a kayak on the bottom (using down imaging 455khz in about 40ish feet of water). It wasn't super clear but it had the shape and even looked like a flag or rod sticking off of it.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
jkim0130

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post

Yup! That's what I was thinking. Attached to the life jacket or at least a leash. I'll experiment with it.

It was really foggy last Sunday. I was thinking about attaching a compass to the kayak but now I may get something attached to me. Maybe a watch.
jkim0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
ekkoa
Banned

thanks for the report
ekkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post

Landing was a circus with rental kayaks getting absolutely destroyed left and right. Tide was straight up to the triangle. My own landing was less than graceful, no way to time the mixed swell. Ending up surfing one in and almost pearled my PA14. Jumped out, grabbed the bow and glided in backwards.
I'm going to assert the surfers right of way rules when landing from now on. It's more critical than ever when the surf is up. If I catch a wave then it's mine to ride as long and as far as I can...at least this is how I will interpret the rule...no drop-ins. Too many waders, watchers, swimmers and others loitering at the boat launch. God knows I never hear the end of it if I come in too far north or too far south....OK Karen...or Ken.

Funny also...I helped a guy in a green hobie passport with a rudder disconnect issue while coming in on Friday afternoon. He was out at the boundary going in circles. Said he was just heading out.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Landing was a circus with rental kayaks getting absolutely destroyed left and right. Tide was straight up to the triangle.
Honestly my favorite part about a rough day and a skunk is coming in and watching those poor souls on tandems get barreled trying to paddle out next rough report day may in fact take the lady out for a picnic date on the beach.. can't beat the entertainment, glad all is well with everyone and hopefully lessons were learned

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
I'm going to assert the surfers right of way rules when landing from now on. It's more critical than ever when the surf is up. If I catch a wave then it's mine to ride as long and as far as I can...at least this is how I will interpret the rule...no drop-ins. Too many waders, watchers, swimmers and others loitering at the boat launch. God knows I never hear the end of it if I come in too far north or too far south....OK Karen...or Ken.
Occasionally the lifeguard in charge will do a good job keeping swimmers out of the landing zone. I wish they would all the time.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote