Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
AnglerBob
Junior

Heat Is On @ Castaic Lagoon

Quick trip Wednesday for some freshwater action. Had tried to go two weeks ago but boating on lagoon and main lake totally closed due to wind. Today it was dead still and rapidly warming. Wouldn’t say it was crowded but definitely some people out there. It takes me a while to rig out my yak so I beached it in a sandy area and moved the car as to not keep others waiting.

I marked fish mostly around 10’ depth and suspended in deeper water. However, there were bluegill in very shallow water and they were schooling with small bass. Occasionally larger bass would cruise through this very shallow water. I started with blue roboworm and caught one small-ish bass in the shallows. Couldn’t get another. Most of the bluegill looked pretty small but there were a few larger ones and I thought it might be fun to try them. I had nightcrawlers but nothing bit on them. I switched to a minijig but couldn’t fish it well in the extreme shallows. I found an old trout mouse tail and I gave that a shot. Fish were hitting it but the ball freaked them out so I cut it off and just use the orange worn part. Bingo. Bluegill and small bass both hit. I tried fishing it a little deeper to see if I could pick up any roaming bass that might be hemming them in. This worked. Casting near the dock I picked up a nicer fish maybe a hair under two pounds. Fought like a monster on the minijig rod.

Water temps started around 74 and rose to 80 as the day went on. In search of bigger fish, I hit several more spots on the lake including the buoy line and the areas near the fishing pier. Lots of metered fish on points and underwater humps but the action was dwindling, probably due to the extreme heat.

Packed it in @ 12:30 as it was an inferno. For anyone making the trip I'd recommend super-small finesse tackle, long casts and lots of patience. Nice lake for kayaking, super clean water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lagoon.jpg (105.4 KB, 142 views)
AnglerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Weso
Junior

Nice write up. What’s the inspection like for kayaks at the lagoon? What does it cost to get on? Always wanted to try that lake out.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
CardShark

I'd like to know this as well. Also, any information on the upper lake.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Thanks for posting the picture. Boy I miss this lake (afterbay). So many memories of big fish and Stripers in the main lake. I don’t even have any pictures of the Lagoon or main lake! 😳🥺🥺 It’s been two years since i moved up here to NorCal and have had to learn how to fish new unfamiliar water, I was so used to fishing Castaic most of the time (after about 40 years) I forgot how to approach a new lake!
I really shouldn’t complain too much though, I exchanged one big fish water (Castaic) for another (Clear Lake) and a few others which are closer than when I lived in Santa Clarita (Canyon Country). There was only Piru and Pyramid close by (aside from Castaic), up here I also have Berryessa, Comanche, Malone’s, Bullard Bar and the Delta!
I have to make a trip back down south when I get a chance though, once I get my cross country touring travel trailer.
Thanks for the post, it was nice to see the pretty old watershed 😍 ❣️❣️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Next time might I suggest the west side from the lifeguard office cove to the U.C.L.A boat dock.the shallow area over by the swim beach can be good in the morning (if they still allow fishing near the area). Also just north of the fishing pier there are a set of tules that stretch across the shore area that can produce if you cast parallel. I’ve always had success with a lipless bait from post spawn through summer early in the day and 6” Roboworms in Aaron’s magic, margarita mutilator, light oxblood.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
AnglerBob
Junior

Thanks guys. Inspection at the lagoon is pretty quick and painless. I store my yak in the garage and with the heat and all there was no way there could be water in it. It probably wouldn't hurt to store the boat with hatches open and drain plug pulled, but every time I've been there, they just bring out a step ladder, climb up and touch the hull a couple of places and that's it. If you happened to drive through some morning drizzle on the way, though, I'd definitely wipe down with a towel before entering the lake. Cost for day parking and boat launch is now $18, but I'm pretty sure that entitles you to park/launch at the upper lake too.

As for the upper lake, I didn't get up there this time but I went there on 5/14 only to find the place under siege from massive wind. Boat launching closed at both upper+lagoon. I attempted to hike down to the ball point cove area to shore fish which was challenging as trails were really overgrown with brush. Totally blanked on fish; a few die-hards fishing at the dam/marina may have managed a couple but it was all but unfishable (see photo). Dang Santa Anas.

FlyFishnYakr, thanks much for the tips! I often prefer the after bay to the main lake for yakking as my favorite main lake spots tend to be a long distance from the marina, too much exercise for an old man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CastaicWindy.jpg (76.4 KB, 64 views)
AnglerBob is offline   Reply With Quote