Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Cbs49er
Junior

Kayak recommendation

So I had a pelican catch 100 I just sold and I really want a pedal drive for trout trolling and something I can take offshore. I really want to get into ocean fishing but somewhat on budget. I was looking at the old town salty 120 or do you guys recommend going the used route? Would really prefer to stay around 1500.
Cbs49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
deptrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbs49er View Post
So I had a pelican catch 100 I just sold and I really want a pedal drive for trout trolling and something I can take offshore. I really want to get into ocean fishing but somewhat on budget. I was looking at the old town salty 120 or do you guys recommend going the used route? Would really prefer to stay around 1500.
If you want a pedal drive for around $1,500, I think used is your only option.
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Do you mean "offshore" in the real sense of "heading way offshore to look for some of those tuna I hear so much about" or do you mean just fishing in the ocean out to like 150' of water (which is more appropriately within the realm of "inshore" fishing)?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
If you want a pedal drive for around $1,500, I think used is your only option.
If you want a pedal drive and you're willing to step up the budget a little bit, you can get a new Hobie Passport 12 for around $1,600. That's what I have because my budget was about the same. OEX helped nudge me that way because I was initially looking at a used Malibu (without pedals). Told them I was planning on doing lots of fishing and I'm 100% glad they recommended the Passport! An Outback or Compass was out of the budget, but this Passport has been getting me in the water pretty comfortably almost every week since I've had it.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Cbs49er
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Do you mean "offshore" in the real sense of "heading way offshore to look for some of those tuna I hear so much about" or do you mean just fishing in the ocean out to like 150' of water (which is more appropriately within the realm of "inshore" fishing)?
Both, would love to do offshore for tuna when aI get more experience. I just don't want to keep on upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
If you want a pedal drive and you're willing to step up the budget a little bit, you can get a new Hobie Passport 12 for around $1,600. That's what I have because my budget was about the same. OEX helped nudge me that way because I was initially looking at a used Malibu (without pedals). Told them I was planning on doing lots of fishing and I'm 100% glad they recommended the Passport! An Outback or Compass was out of the budget, but this Passport has been getting me in the water pretty comfortably almost every week since I've had it.
I've been seriously looking at that or for 200 more the old town salty 120.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

Hey, there's a ton of nice new pedal drive kayaks out on the market between 1300-1800 bucks. Take a look at lightning kayaks, vibe shearwater with pedal drive, pelican catch hd2, etc. Go to a kayak store with those in stock and take a look!

By the way- If you stretch your budget to around 1900-2000 your options open up a lot. Hobie is just one of the many pedal drive brands on the market that are all great. No need to buy something 5 years old when you can get something new (with a warranty too)
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #7
Cbs49er
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMC View Post
Hey, there's a ton of nice new pedal drive kayaks out on the market between 1300-1800 bucks. Take a look at lightning kayaks, vibe shearwater with pedal drive, pelican catch hd2, etc. Go to a kayak store with those in stock and take a look!

By the way- If you stretch your budget to around 1900-2000 your options open up a lot. Hobie is just one of the many pedal drive brands on the market that are all great. No need to buy something 5 years old when you can get something new (with a warranty too)
Thx, I think I've seen every kayak video on YouTube. Theres just so many out there now and it just has me wondering which pedal drives will last a long time and how customer service is from these newer companies. Definitely will look for a kayak shop since I don't know of any in the LA area.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Thx, I think I've seen every kayak video on YouTube. Theres just so many out there now and it just has me wondering which pedal drives will last a long time and how customer service is from these newer companies. Definitely will look for a kayak shop since I don't know of any in the LA area.
I'm with Mike, above. If you can get something new with a warranty you won't be sorry, even if it cost a few bucks more. Try a few of the different drive types, and if you are looking primarily to troll, don't rule out long narrow paddle kayaks like the 15 foot versions of the kraken, trident, etc., although those are probably not well suited for smaller bodies of water.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
FullFlavorPike

Your cheapest bet for an offshore capable kayak is an older OK Prowler 15 with a good seat and a nice paddle. If you are on a hardcore budget, that's a hell of a fishing vessel for the money.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

Call Andy

Support this site and call Andy at OEX in Sunset Beach...
He is a Hobie dealer and the OEX store also represents a few other kayak manufacturers...he’s on the water on PCH if you want to try a kayak and he’s a great fisherman too...!
(562) 592-0800

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
He is a Hobie dealer and the OEX store also represents a few other kayak manufacturers...he’s on the water on PCH if you want to try a kayak and he’s a great fisherman too...!
(562) 592-0800
I second this. Andy was the one that recommended I try out the Passport before going with the used kayak package. He let me ride the demo around on the water next to the shop for a bit and that sold me. It was not an up-sell, it was 100% honest advise. Never regretted spending the extra couple hundred in the slightest. I know eventually I will want to upgrade to an Outback, so when I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll be going back to Andy! Definitely worth the drive from LA if that's where you are.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
Cbs49er
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
(562) 592-0800
Will do, when it comes to anything fishing I'll drive anywhere.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
surfshotmoto

I don’t believe in buying a new kayak or car. Kayak’s are made of polyethylene. There is no easier material in the world to fix then this. Heat it, move it where you want, let it cool. If you take your time you will barely notice a repair was done. You can fix a big hole or small crack. These are plastic tubs that fix super easy and very quickly. There is not much you can do to a kayak that can’t be fixed.

With that said, the new showroom pricing is ridiculous. You can by a use yak for a fraction of new. There are plenty on Craigslist in your budget. Look it over. You can easily tell if it’s beat up. There is little to no risk in buying a used kayak. Companies say there molded plastic boat is better than others but really there all just plastics tub’s made of the same exact material. Some designs work a little better than other but all in all, the tried and true that have been around for 20 years are all making very, very similar boats.

The hardware used on the kayak is important. Buy Hobie. It’s proven to last a very, very long time. The hardware is superior in build quality. Also any part on any Hobie can be replaced when worn out. It can also be upgraded. I have a blue ten year old Hobie Outback I would consider selling. I bought it for my wife and she never uses it. It’s in very solid condition. $1,200.

I also have a ten your old Pro Angler 14. I will never sell that one. If your going to do lake and ocean get the Outback. It’s easier to hall around and can car top. If your strictly ocean like me, get the Pro Angler.

Both are large ocean worthy kayaks that are the best in the ocean. They are stable platforms you can buy used, use for ten year and sell for what you paid for them. You really can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfshotmoto View Post

With that said, the new showroom pricing is ridiculous. ...

The money is in the valuable IP and the upfront costs of developing molds, etc. If they were easy to make cheap, more people would do it.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #15
ShugaShane562

I just bought a Lightning Strike Kayak from Long Beach Windsurf and Kayak center. It’s a 12’6” pedal drive. Super stable. Love the platform. There’s a few reviews about water getting on deck excessively but the dude was like 300. It’s rated for 415 but whatever. I’m 235 6’ tall and I’m loving it. Check em out

ShugaShane562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugaShane562 View Post
I just bought a Lightning Strike Kayak from Long Beach Windsurf and Kayak center. It’s a 12’6” pedal drive. Super stable. Love the platform. There’s a few reviews about water getting on deck excessively but the dude was like 300. It’s rated for 415 but whatever. I’m 235 6’ tall and I’m loving it. Check em out

The hull design on these looks pretty bitchin'.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
ShugaShane562

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
The hull design on these looks pretty bitchin'.

Yeah the cathedral Hull is very stable. I’m digging it. My buddy has the outback and he really enjoys my lightning when he tried it

Old 08-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #18
Cbs49er
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugaShane562 View Post

I was interested in it until I saw the guy you mentioned review and how bad the customer service was.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #19
ShugaShane562

Quote:
I was interested in it until I saw the guy you mentioned review and how bad the customer service was.

Yeah I saw it too. Luckily I haven’t had to call them for anything. But yeah it’s not cool what they did to him. I would have been pissed. I’m just crossing my fingers nothing major happens haha

Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #20
ProfessorLongArms

+1 on Andy. He’s never steered me wrong, and I rely on him for good advice regularly.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote