Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
forefrazier

Carlsbad State Beach

Some friends are camping out this weekend and asked us to come by to BBQ. Any spot to launch around the campgrounds?

All I remember from my last visit was large cliff's with long stairs to the beach and some pretty shallow kayak breaking surf.......
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
KennyHill

Just south of the campground there is free parking. It is a short walk to the water. The surf is pretty small in the summer you can lunch there. I see people do it alot. Theres alot of kelp just past the surf.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

on the south side of the campground there is a ramp down to the beach for the yak, have fun!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

PM Tman he will tell ya he owns North county!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
comrad_zeelaagee

Expect SURF!!!

There's a SSW Swell expected to build through the day tomorrow and continue through the weekend. Ponto can pick that up and send reeling lefts past the jetty and onto the beach.

There is a ramp on the south side as stated with a shower at the top- avoid Black Balled Zones or expect to receive wrath of lifguard lady. She hassled me last year for landing near people- but it was our ONLY safe landing zone in 4-6' breakers- I still ened up in the water at the end. She told me to land closer to the jetty- I told her she was crazy.

I've launched there a handful of times as it's the closest launch to my house- but have never had any success there.

Good luck. I'm going south.
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Jason

You can also launch at the warm water jetties, which are a couple miles North of the campground. It "can" be mellow there, but if the surf is up it will be unavoidable in North County.

If you really want to fish while you are there, you can always fish in the surf. That whole area is quite productive.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Dan

campgrounds had good swell today and building. might be tough to launch this weekend. I tried to visualize it where i surfed, and it looked doable, but a bit sketch.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

yeah there will be plenty of surf to deal with, 5-7ft @ 16-18sec from the SSW will wrap into just about anywhere in c-bad...i'd try it anyway tho, long period wave are alot easier to deal with than the 6-8sec windswell waves we see from the huricains ...pack light, one or two rods and anything that you can fit below deck, bring some swimbaits, spoons and frozen squid (fish them whole on a leadhead just like a swimbait)
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote