Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
forefrazier

Dana 3/25

No swell, little wind=beautiful day to paddle and no fish

Well, one to break the skunk and add to the Crankman. Sand bastard on the Rapala...released of course.

On the way in, I stopped in front of the jetty at the harbor mouth to bring up my BB rig so not to get it caught on the bottom and the swimbait on my bass rod gets ROCKED! Drag on my Curado 300 was tight and screaming like a freight train. My Teramar TMCX76M was bent so far over in the rod holder I couldn't get it out until the fish let up a bit. Pulled on the sea monster for a few seconds until the hook pulled...Everything was intact but the hook on the leadhead was reshaped just a bit (the left one in the pic below is from the unused twin in the pack) 2oz, 5/0 hook

Just another day OTW....

Steve
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
aftahour

very nice report.. makes u wonder what the fish ison a pulled hook..
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Geoffkoop

Nice Cali. I got a couple this morning a bit north.
The other day I had the same thing happen at Dana with my rod in the holder, I couldnt get it out...However mine was a Pelican pulling on the other end.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
steveooo

Dang Steve. Betcha it was a I lost a really good hali in Dana last week too, but with a drag stripping run like that, I bet yours was a big old ghost.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Geoffkoop

Sounds like a ghost. My buddy had the same thing happen to him last week. Almost spooled his spinning set-up....and broke off.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Good seeing you out there Steve. Not much different for me out there. Ended up with 3 sandies about the same size as yours, and a mini butt, hardly as big as the sandies. The only bait I could get were tanker macs, but I did have one hit on one of those. Almost had it's tail taken off, but couldn't get the steel into whatever it was. I'm guessing a shark on that one.

See ya next time
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
forefrazier

Good seeing you out there also Ross! Glad you got a few...much better fisherman than I

If I would have seen the mystery fish and it was a ....my face would have looked like this . Where I was located when it happened would be the absolute last place I would even think of fishing for them. I feel much better telling myself it was probably a large shark or ray.....
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Gino

nice report. im not sure what kind of bass that it :P looks kinda like a mix!

i have caught a 2 legal ghost inside the harbor thier. out torwards the bait barge on that short jetti near the end. Rare happenigns though and i got 1 in on 8lb test. that was 29 inches and short 9lbs got 1 in febuaray of last year. and the other many eyars back in summer.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
nice report. im not sure what kind of bass that it :P looks kinda like a mix!

i have caught a 2 legal ghost inside the harbor thier. out torwards the bait barge on that short jetti near the end. Rare happenigns though and i got 1 in on 8lb test. that was 29 inches and short 9lbs got 1 in febuaray of last year. and the other many eyars back in summer.
Sandico?
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Dan

cool colors on that bass.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
forefrazier

Funny...I didn't really even notice the checker pattern on the back of this guy while OTW. Sandies are usually a bit longer and have a bit different head shape from my experience. Stripes down the side are all Sand Bass but might be a hybrid?