Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
good vibes
Junior

surfski stealth fisha/profisha

I love to watch the videos of Rob in Australia. I'm quite intrigued by his Kayak.
Does anyone in the San Diego area own one or have any experience with it?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAzoKj14zY&t=213s
good vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Harry Hill

when I was pulling my predator across the parking lot the other day I sad I would pay a lot of money for a carbon fiber kayak with pedals. This roto molded plastic is heavy.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Ya people have them. The biggest advantage of the ski is punching through big surf. So for we soft, weak snowflakes here in SD with our boatlaunch, it isn't really a big necessity to stash all your poles in the hatch and have a surf worthy sled.

Check out Dan from Lost Horizon... He launches through surf up in bolsa chica.

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Polychrest
Junior

Stealth Kayaks do look cool, really like the simplicity. I asked for a quote from the US rep but never heard back. Uncle Baggy, Rob's, comment about the gel coat was interesting. I wish Rob's new kayak, Mirage Sea Kayaks, had a live well and fish bin because I'd be all over it with their slick rudder and carbon fiber hull.

Last edited by Polychrest; 10-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
good vibes
Junior

saw the profisha 575 at La Jolla kayak launch the other day, it is huge but looks really cool, I think 475 is the size to go though
Old 10-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
Baja_Traveler

I had one - sold it to a buddy to paddle with his wife who paddles outriggers.

I didn't much care for it - the foot wells were so narrow it forced me to paddle barefoot or with super thin booties, so my choice was sunburned feet or sweaty feet. The center hatch strap system is very difficult to undo - especially on such a tippy kayak.

But the lack of stability translates to a fast boat. It definitely was the fastest thing I've ever paddled. Catch anything larger than a mackerel you have to swing your legs over the side to increase stability or you'll get pulled over. That feature alone made me wanting to be back in my PA14, and the reason for unloading it.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

There is a rep in NorCal that is already established in the states, and a gentleman who is working to become a rep in so cal. I was able to see the price sheet for the boats and the fiber glass boats start around 2800 bucks and go up to about 5000 for full carbon fiber. Rod from rokkit kit has the ProFisha 475 in carbon fiber, based on the price list I saw (it may be old now), that ski was priced at $4825 (full carbon fiber, before tax and shipping).

They also just released their first rotomolded boat. The fusion 480 (4.8m long), its 26.75" wide (the widest in their line up) and about half the cost of the new glass boats (starts around 1735, plus shipping and tax depending on where you decide to buy it.)

edit: In regards to actually paddling one of these I think its important to recognize that alot of people who fish on a wide platform like an outback, top water, etc. may lack the proper fundamentals of actual paddling and kayaking (hence why those kayaks are so popular). I know that when I ride my outback I can cheat the centerline quite a bit, lean over the side lightly, etc. When I ride the Trident (28" wide) I have to be much more fundamentally sound and be sure to keep my head centerline above the axis of the kayak, keep my rod tip going forward as opposed to sideways, etc. I think the majority of stability for these types of yaks comes from the low center of gravity, and when you lead up and out of the kayak you lose that. Additionally when I am on that kayak I often put my feet over the sides for stability, but when it comes to speed its no match, the long narrow kayaks are just so fast and efficient.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 10-19-2020 at 07:33 AM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Polychrest
Junior

Good to know about the fit, I really need to sit in one of these since I don't have chicken legs. I've paddled outrigger and dragon boat before, really missing those upper body workouts and the speed. Dreaming of a fast and hard to rocky point in PV to get my fish on.

I couldn't find any info on a full carbon boat, just carbon hatch and rudder. EDC, could you point me to where you found the full carbon boat? Who's the upcoming rep in SoCal?
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
Good to know about the fit, I really need to sit in one of these since I don't have chicken legs. I've paddled outrigger and dragon boat before, really missing those upper body workouts and the speed. Dreaming of a fast and hard to rocky point in PV to get my fish on.

I couldn't find any info on a full carbon boat, just carbon hatch and rudder. EDC, could you point me to where you found the full carbon boat? Who's the upcoming rep in SoCal?
Check your PM
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 10-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
summers in kuwait

I'm not positive if he is still on BWE, but "Obed" fishes off his Profisha 575 here in La Jolla. I was always pretty jealous of this rig.

Another fun boat that I haven't tried, but always wanted to, was the Viking Profish Reload.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I'm not positive if he is still on BWE, but "Obed" fishes off his Profisha 575 here in La Jolla. I was always pretty jealous of this rig.

Another fun boat that I haven't tried, but always wanted to, was the Viking Profish Reload.
Yea those vikings look cool. I like that modular center hatch they have where you can have a live well, or a cooler, etc.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 10-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
good vibes
Junior

looks like a cool 19 foot SOT kevlar kayak, gret price for 300$.
Unfortunately too long for my garage.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...221596913.html