Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Ryan The Sealion

lj 7-11 am

Launched b4 5 a nd headed to the pier with my buddy casey... The lights are on and baits popin on the surface, but what do we catch on our sabiki's....? WFO juvi c-bass!!!! mostly 10-15" but a few were around 24" :shock: finally made some macks and headed for the corner... found a spot of puddlers that came up less than 20 yards from me and stayed for 3 minutes!!!!! but they had lock jaw :x drug everything by them (got over 15 casts at em!!) and finally I put the best greeny in my tank infront of them on 25# flouro and they still wouldn't touch it!!!!!!!! they finally sunk out and we proceeded to feed all of our bait to the bonito...on caseys last bait of the day around 10 as we're heading in...zzzzzzzzzziiiing... 15# forgot to take a pic of his wound, but this fish had a recent encounter with a sealion and had a fat chunk of meat missing!! Big crowd for a tues am... 15+ yaks.. saw 2 other yellows (about 7#'s) and 1 lucky pb..

Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

ps casey is 6'6" and makes that fish look like a peanut, but it was a solid 15# Kicked his ass on 30lb. I might add...
Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Dan

WTG KC.

That surf in the background looks hairy.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I'm runnin 40# mono topshot...you guys think that is killin my chances?.....I've been out every weekend and the occasional weekday and I am 0-1,000,000,000.....based on what you'll say, I may go down to 30, or even flouro....sorry bout the thread jack....nice fish.....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Ryan The Sealion

he was fishin straight 30...

brink- I was fishin straight 40 (or spectra with 40lb. leader) til the kelp dissopeared..it's ok to drop down now since there ain't much for them to wrap you in Soon as that kelp grows back healthy I'll be bumpin the line back up tho..
Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

thx
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
Dan

Straight 40 could easily hinder your chances. I'm going with 20# Seaguar leaders at the moment.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Dennis

Straight 25# fo me. Nice yellow casey....
Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Yeah, it was quite the crowd for a weekday. Glad to see your friend Casey nailed a nice one, considering the size of the others we saw landed.
Our day went like this:
We made greenies at 4:00AM at the pier. Started fishing at grey light. We only had about a half dozen hits. But, Julie managed an 11 lb yellow on the fly-lined greenie, lost a nice bonie next to the yak (doh!), and on the way in picked up a rat (3 lb) yellow on a yozuri plug which was C&R'd. Aaron nailed a 6 lb barracuda, released, and picked up a 4 lb bonito, kept for tomorrow's dinner.
Not wide open, but there's fish to be had.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice fish Casey!! I won't forget my first, what a sweet moment seeing it color for the first time!

Nathan, you may consider fluoro leaders, I oscillate between #20, #25, #30, #40 Seaguar fluoro. Right now, one high rig #20, one low rig #30. It took me 8 months of die hard fishing every weekend, pm's etc to get my first yellowtail, of course, there wasn't a whole lot of info out there at the time. Then again, I stuck "my lucky ball in chain" with my penn jig master rig #40 big game, and she got one on her 2nd trip... :P So, you never know, you'll get one, just keep with it! 8)

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie
Yeah, it was quite the crowd for a weekday. Glad to see your friend Casey nailed a nice one, considering the size of the others we saw landed.
Our day went like this:
We made greenies at 4:00AM at the pier. Started fishing at grey light. We only had about a half dozen hits. But, Julie managed an 11 lb yellow on the fly-lined greenie, lost a nice bonie next to the yak (doh!), and on the way in picked up a rat (3 lb) yellow on a yozuri plug which was C&R'd. Aaron nailed a 6 lb barracuda, released, and picked up a 4 lb bonito, kept for tomorrow's dinner.
Not wide open, but there's fish to be had.
goddamn you guys get yellows every time :shock: did u get a pic of the 3# :lol: haven't seen one that small in a while...

there is a ton of fish there right now, but those suckers are full or somethin.. maybe feedin on all that pinhead bait at night..?? I thought I just sucked when I had so many chances at those puddlers today, but when they wouldn't touch a mack on flouro it made me feel a little better...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
pimpthe805

right on casey nice yellow... ya its funny how casey's fish pics look deceiving since he is 8'8"

ry...u have been yellow-less since what the last time we went out? :lol:
pimpthe805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Aaron&Julie

Smallest yellow we've seen in a while, but no photos this go around, Ryan. Just a quick note of what's going on. Pretty much the same report as everyone else.