Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
KatFish

Lobster Nets???

Which works better flat or dome? Is it better go off pier or kayak? Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season. But thats life, nothing is free! Thanks! Kat
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
Which works better flat or dome? Is it better go off pier or kayak? Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season. But thats life, nothing is free! Thanks! Kat
I have the "ambush style"

My hooping buddy has the flat ones, and neither of us really out hoop the other.

A pier is easier but obviously it restricts your spots, and piers get bugged out pretty early in the season.

The lobster license is stupid, but at least when you get your 2013 license, it will get you through to next years fall. You basically just lose a 1/2 season buying it now. I got my first one in January, so it got me through the whole year.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
Which works better flat or dome?

Dome, or eclipse, are a little bulkier but much easier to handle. I carry 4 ambush/dome and one flat net, both are productive.

Is it better go off pier or kayak?

much like fishing hoop netting from a pier limits your area so with that being said you should know the answer.

Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season.

make sure you fill it out as soon as you start hoop netting and before you land or before you make a long move. I've read reports of hoop netters getting cited for not having the lobster report card filled out before they arrived back at the landing/launch site.
good luck this season!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
good luck this season!!
wait, people have been cited for not filling it out on the water? that's bull. what if my pen is water logged?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
wait, people have been cited for not filling it out on the water? that's bull. what if my pen is water logged?

When DFG checked me last year, I had the location and date filled in but not the amount of the catch. He said that was ok just finish filling out the form at the landing.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
jorluivil

Just because one DFG Officer ignores the rules it doesn't mean that the next one will.

29.91. SPINY LOBSTER REPORT CARD REQUIREMENTS FOR OCEAN WATERS.
(a) Spiny Lobster Report Card Required. All individuals must have a Spiny Lobster Report
Card in their possession while fishing for or taking lobster. In the case of a person diving from a
boat, the report card may be kept in the boat, or in the case of a person diving from the shore,
the report card may be kept within 500 yards from the point of entry. Individuals must complete
and return the card pursuant to regulations in this Section and in Section 1.74.
(b) Prior to beginning fishing activity, the cardholder must record the month, day, location,
and gear code on the first available line on the report card.
(c) When the cardholder moves to another location code, or finishes fishing for the day, he
or she must immediately record on the card the number of lobster kept from that location.

(d) In the event an individual fills in all lines and returns a Spiny Lobster Report Card, an
additional card may be purchased. See Section 1.74.
(e) The annual fee for the Spiny Lobster Report Card is specified in Section 701, Title 14, CCR.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

Keep it in a dry bag and carry an extra one. I usually carry a fine point sharpie and a ball point sharpie, never had any issues with either one not writting.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
paintnfish

I like the flat nets best, they keep me busy pulling every
15-20 minutes as where most of the guys will let the Ambush
nets soak forty five minutes to an hour. that being said, I
carry two ambush in my stack.

If you decide to go with the old school nets I recommend
looking into the promar bait suspender's, they work well
and the bait cage clips are the best thing since sliced bread.

The second purchase of your report card will carry you into
December of the following year.

Got Butter !

paintnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
maui jim

And remember boys and girls.....After midnight starts a brand new day!!
So fill you cards out properly, so Mister Green Jeans does not have to give you a greeting card when your at the beach party.