Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Gflann

Pedal Drive Pointers

Going to check out a used Hobie Mirage Drive 180T. I can compare it to a picture of a new drive but does anyone have any pointers?
Gflann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Salty

I'm sure there are others that have more experience with both, but I recently upgraded from a Hobie Passport with standard Mirage Drive to an Outback with 180 Drive. Before that, I was able to trade drives on the water with my buddy who had a 180 just to compare the two in real time in similar conditions. I had the turbo fin upgrade on my standard Mirage drive. I'd say the biggest difference I noticed with the 180 aside from the reverse function is the ease of motion. With the standard drive, when I matched cadence with my friend side-by-side next to me, I was able to maintain about the same speed at a similar rate of pedals. But when doing the same with the 180 drive dropped in, I realized it required MUCH less effort on my part to maintain that same speed(about 4-5mph in mostly calm conditions). It just feels like there is less resistance on the fins and they glide much better. It was nice being able to swap drives in the same kayak to compare so I know I wasn't experiencing a difference in hull design, weight, etc. Top speed was also slightly faster as well.

On another note, the reverse function is very useful! Only taken out the new Outback once and there were a few times I had my Tady snagged and I was able to stop, back up, and get it unhooked quickly without having to make a big circle and drying to pull it out with the rod behind me. I imagine that would be very useful fighting a big fish, but that hasn't been something I've had the opportunity to experience (YET! )

One downside that was brought to my attention before my purchase was the cost of replacement and replacement parts. Just all the more reason to secure it at all times!

Would love to hear more feedback as well and any tips to maintaining the 180T from those more experienced with them.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Gflann

Thanks for all that feed back! It would be my first pair of fins. I just realized what I’m going to see is labeled as a “Hobie Pro Angler Mirage Drive“ w/ turbofins. I believe that is the standard since I dont see any wires for toggling between reverse and forward. He’s asking $475 which seems to be a decent deal...
Old 10-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gflann View Post
Thanks for all that feed back! It would be my first pair of fins. I just realized what I’m going to see is labeled as a “Hobie Pro Angler Mirage Drive“ w/ turbofins. I believe that is the standard since I dont see any wires for toggling between reverse and forward. He’s asking $475 which seems to be a decent deal...
That's a better first mirage to own, much more Bulletproof than the standard 180. If your looking for 180, I wouldn't get it without kickup fins. The kick-up fins mitigate the risk of damaging the spine(305$).

For Turbofins, inspect the chain and exposed area of the cables for rust. Inspect the fins for tears. Inspect the drums for cracks. When the peddles are scissored there should be no binding sounds and alignment of all parts should look respectively uniform.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Gflann

Thanks! The drive looks barely used and is smooth like butter! No kick up fins but I couldnt pass up spending half the $$ for this used pedal drive.