Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
yaknewb

Does any one fish the jetty in sd bay i have a few ?s

So i was wondering how far it is to paddle a kayak out there to fish and is it worth it or should i just fish shelter island and bait barge area area?
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
dorado50

u can get your distances by marking your gps coordinates or u can plot with paper charts.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

Shelter Island is a great place, but it is a long paddle out to the break, sometimes very fishy I have caught some quality buts in there, but the water temp should come up a bit for the good stuff. You just have to remeber you are in a heavily patrolled naval area and the gun ship will chase you out of any unauthorized areas which are clearly marked, the traffic does get pretty heavy out there so be aware of your surroundings
but it does hold some good ones
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Ndavissd

Ditto

Good place bit of a paddle watch the tides so you are not coming back on an out going
Ndavissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
yaknewb

Yea i was thinking off hitting it on a week day for the boat traffic and time the tides right to make it for an easyer paddle.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I think illegal beach is a better launch point if heading towards the jetty. Parking sucks unless you can land the Port of San Diego's curb at the entrance located at Lawrence Street / San Antonio Avenue. Everywhere else in at least a 5 block radius has free parking but limited to 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Shelter Island is a great place, but it is a long paddle out to the break, sometimes very fishy I have caught some quality buts in there, but the water temp should come up a bit for the good stuff. You just have to remeber you are in a heavily patrolled naval area and the gun ship will chase you out of any unauthorized areas which are clearly marked, the traffic does get pretty heavy out there so be aware of your surroundings
but it does hold some good ones
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

I'm not sure of the others but I'm not planning to paddle to the jetty. I may paddle to the bait barge for some live bait and then work some of my Halibut holes from there back towards S.I. area. Starting at about 10 A.M. the current should be going out and paddling against that coming back will for sure be a workout.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknewb View Post
So i was wondering how far it is to paddle a kayak out there to fish and is it worth it or should i just fish shelter island and bait barge area area?
I can tell you for a fact that the total paddle to and from are going to be about 6 miles total. If you paddle from S.I. like I did on my B-day it will take about an hour to pick up bait at the Bait barge and then to paddle the rest of the way to the jetty, maybe a little longer but still it's worth the paddle. If you chart it to when the tide is going out and then when the tide is coming in it will make the paddling not so difficult. I wish I would have fished the jetty more when I was there but I chose to head back early. It's a good paddle but could be very fun with Calicos, Sandies, Halibut, and many other fun types.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
mtnbykr2

as I post this,
Shelter Island is a callin me, schedule permits me to take a trip down there on March 5th and 6th...weather permitting of course...anyone game...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
as I post this,
Shelter Island is a callin me, schedule permits me to take a trip down there on March 5th and 6th...weather permitting of course...anyone game...
I might be able to join you on that trip, keep me posted.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I might be able to join you on that trip, keep me posted.
totally Jimmy...this is how all my trips start, I have to plan so far ahead...
I will keep you posted...brett
Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
yaknewb

Im game to join you to mtnbykr2 and jimmy nxt time you hit the jetty let me know id like to tag along.