Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Lets_Fish

Information on Upcoming MLPA Scoping Meeting

Got the following via email from Keep America Fishing!

Information on Upcoming MLPA Scoping Meeting
Attend the meeting and make sure the interests of recreational anglers are heard!

When: July 23, 2010
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Where: Port of Long Beach Administration Building - 6th Floor
925 Harbor Way, Long Beach, California

Your time on the water is being threatened by the implementation of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) which requires the formation of a network of marine protected areas (MPAs) in California's coastal waters, including marine reserves which prohibit all consumptive activities. This includes recreational fishing!

On July 23, 2010, California's Department of Fish and Game is holding a scoping meeting in Long Beach, Calif., to receive input from interested agencies and the public on issues related to the potential environmental effects of the MPA proposals being considered for the South Coast region.

Please attend the public meeting on July 23, and help ensure that anglers have a strong presence! The public will have an opportunity to comment at the meeting. Let the department know how important recreational fishing is to you and your family, and that additional marine reserves do not always mean more - or better - conservation! If you are unable to attend the meeting in person, written comments may be e-mailed to MLPAComments@dfg.ca.gov.

Visit www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp#presentationsfor more information on the July 23 meeting.

More Meetings Are Needed
While the July 23 scoping meeting is a good start, more meetings are needed in the South Coast region. Multiple scoping meetings were held for both the Central and North Central Coasts, and given the complexity and heightened controversy surrounding the South Coast process, public scoping meetings throughout the region are essential to ensure that all the potential impacts of MPAs are heard.

To send a letter to the California Fish and Game Commission urging them to hold a series of scoping meetings in the South Coast region, please click hereor visit
http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=15177801

Visit www.keepamericafishing.org/california.html for more information on the MLPA and the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans.

Thank you for doing your part to Keep America Fishing!

Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

Roll call

i'm going to be there, who else?
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
PAL

If you are interested in attending, keep in mind that this CEQA stuff is a different game. This note from CFC does a good job of explaining it:

Quote:
One phase of completing an EIR is to determine the scope of the analysis (i.e., the issues addressed). Normally agencies conduct a scoping meeting for interested parties to share their list of issues. The MLPA staff had decided that such a meeting was not needed - we had heard that they wanted to avoid the extra cost and extra time. Several fishing reps felt scoping was required by law and we attended the FGC meeting on June 23, 2010, to tell them as much. While initially the FGC and lawyers thought a scoping meeting was not necessary, after looking a little closer at the law they changed their minds and directed the DFG to hold one scoping meeting somewhere in southern CA (the date is July 23).

While many people will be tempted to attend and repeat concerns that have been voiced many times before, CEQA and related court cases are very specific as to what is necessary to be investigated in an EIR. Non-pertinent or poorly presented issues will get ignored. Actually really good issues may get ignored, but good issues properly presented are the only ones that may have a chance to affect the process and outcome. The objective is the most thorough EIR possible pushing adoption into 2011.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
If you are interested in attending, keep in mind that this CEQA stuff is a different game. This note from CFC does a good job of explaining it:
Thanks Paul!

I will be there with a pen and paper to write down what my major objections to the process are.
hopefully my stage fright will subside long enough to get my points across.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
cowboybill

changed meeting

I just read that the meeting has been changed...

link
http://www.keepamericafishing.org/pr...es_100706.html

New Location;

When: Friday, July 23, 2010
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Where: Hyatt Regency Long Beach
200 South Pine Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90802

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
cowboybill

sent letters...

I just cant make the meeting, so I did send the proper email letters to all the appropriate people...

Hope you all did the same...

www.keepamericafishing.org

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Oolie
Headshots Only

THANKS BILL!