Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Hammerhead on kayaker's tail.... LJ

Out yesterday (Wed) with a friend on a powerboat. We were trying for Wahoo, but ended up at La Jolla.

Anyway, a pretty far distance out for a kayaker we see one solo guy. We are trying the bottom with irons and this guy comes closer and closer, and finally we can see he is urgently trying to reach us.

Right on his tail, literally bumping him is a 9-10' hammerhead. We got just a little on phone video, but he will likely post a much more detailed video from the go-pro.

He was very happy to get on our boat!

Video here, which shows the shark at about 16 seconds to 22 seconds. The shark does not look that big here, but it was close to 10 feet long, and persistently bumping his boat. No fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-l...ature=youtu.be

We loaded the kayak on the boat and gave him a ride to the buoy line. He had some nice lings and maybe the smell attracted the hammy.

Anyway, good advice is to have a portable VHF radio, and ideally be in pairs. He was very happy to have the boat ride!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
nickc5

THANK you guys! I'm editing the video as we speak. Life changing day for sure. ALWAYS going to take my radio out!
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Havent' we been through this already guys?!

Enough with the hammerhead stuff!!!

You really don't need to get yourselves on the news about this OK...!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
nickc5

Enough with wasting your time reading posts on Hammerheads. I could of blown this up on the news already, since my pops and half the family instantly hit up the news, but i didn't. I'm a member of this community and value what this type of fishing does for me. OK.....!

KICK ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Havent' we been through this already guys?!

Enough with the hammerhead stuff!!!

You really don't need to get yourselves on the news about this OK...!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc5 View Post
THANK you guys! I'm editing the video as we speak. Life changing day for sure. ALWAYS going to take my radio out!
Thanks for your report. I'm looking forward to your video. I'm glad seaquinn and his friend were there to assist.

We should not underestimate the importance of safety and common sense.

Downplaying or white-washing the importance of your experience and lessons learned would be as much of a disservice to our community as those who over-hype it with fear mongering.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-22-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
nickc5

Hammerhead on kayaker's tail.... LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Thanks for your report. I'm looking forward to your video. I'm glad seaquinn and his friend were there to assist.

We should not underestimate the importance of safety and common sense.

I'm glad they were there to assist. I was pedaling for 45min before I reached them. No one could see or hear me.

Btw, my recently caught LING'S did not provoke the chase. The hammerhead was feeding and exploding bait on the surface. I just so happened to be 25 yards away and decided to book it. (All of gopro) Thats when dude decides to take my Mac. He was aggressive and was not leaving me alone. Even after he broke me off. I guess I really pissed him off cause we were both in a honey hole!!

I'll post an actual report once I get this edited to the way I want it!

NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
2-Stix

9 of the last 11 times out i was bumped by HH. Alone its not fun. With others less intense. Just another day on the water for us this year. Glad you didn't go to the media with it...not a good way to help our community out.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Hi Nick! I look forward to your video. Mine does not show much, but it does show the shark. In real life, it looked much larger. (I'm sure from the kayak, with nobody else around, it looked really BIG!

This info is only for our site, but everyone just needs to be aware they are out there, not usually dangerous, hopefully, but especially any newbies just gotta be aware and prepared.

I'm gonna start bringing my floating radio from now on as well. Even if I don't need it, one day there may be a sinking canoe (like Chris helped with) or who knows what.... just want to be safe.

Cheers all..... what a year!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

While we are on the subject of safety and lessons learned, what would be the benefit of a VHF radio on a kayak if nobody can see or hear you? Do the VHF radios kayak fishermen tend to use broadcast GPS coordinates?

I have thought about buying one, but I am unsure of the benefits or which model to choose.

I do carry my iPhone. I use the iPhone GPS features for the Navionics chart plotting app as well as the regular iPhone map functions. Are there other good apps for pinpointing GPS coordinates?

-----

What else is good for a safety checklist?

I carry a bilge pump and a tow rope. I always have a knife handy. I have a roll of radiator repair tape that is strong like duct tape but sticks to itself on wet surfaces. I have a cloth wrap bandage in a packet in case someone gets gaffed or ripped by a fish hook. It can be used as a tourniquet or other multi-purpose applications.

I discovered a few weeks ago that I should carry a Phillips screwdriver in case the rudder strings come off or need adjusting. Three of us were fishing together. I couldn't fix the loose rudder with a knife tip or what else I had on board. We ended up holding both kayaks together and I steered for the both of us. From far out, trying to paddle an Outback on rough water with the rudder up is a huge pain in the butt. Peddling in together and steering from one boat was the better choice. A screwdriver and fishing buddies could have solved the problem out where we were fishing. The one I added to my safety kit is drilled with a nylon wrist strap so I don't lose it in the water.

Just trying to think ahead a little so we can be better prepared in the future.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
While we are on the subject of safety and lessons learned, what would be the benefit of a VHF radio on a kayak if nobody can see or hear you? Do the VHF radios kayak fishermen tend to use broadcast GPS coordinates?

I have thought about buying one, but I am unsure of the benefits or which model to choose.

I do carry my iPhone. I use the iPhone GPS features for the Navionics chart plotting app as well as the regular iPhone map functions. Are there other good apps for pinpointing GPS coordinates?

Your phone will cut out and not work 5-7 miles out. The radio will grab coast guard and other boats in area. I take both with me at all times. If just fishing LJ radio stays in dry bag. If offshore phone goes in dry bag.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Enough with wasting your time reading posts on Hammerheads. I could of blown this up on the news already, since my pops and half the family instantly hit up the news, but i didn't. I'm a member of this community and value what this type of fishing does for me. OK.....!

KICK ROCKS

Yeah Tony kick rocks

Team Sewer dont kick rocks. They smoke them
Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Chuck D

Really
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
nickc5

Quote:

-----

What else is good for a safety checklist?

I carry a bilge pump and a tow rope. I always have a knife handy. I have a roll of radiator repair tape that is strong like duct tape but sticks to itself on wet surfaces. I have a cloth wrap bandage in a packet in case someone gets gaffed or ripped by a fish hook. It can be used as a tourniquet or other multi-purpose applications.

I discovered a few weeks ago that I should carry a Phillips screwdriver in case the rudder strings come off or need adjusting. Three of us were fishing together. I couldn't fix the loose rudder with a knife tip or what else I had on board. We ended up holding both kayaks together and I steered for the both of us. From far out, trying to paddle an Outback on rough water with the rudder up is a huge pain in the butt. Peddling in together and steering from one boat was the better choice. A screwdriver and fishing buddies could have solved the problem out where we were fishing. The one I added to my safety kit is drilled with a nylon wrist strap so I don't lose it in the water.

Just trying to think ahead a little so we can be better prepared in the future.

I think adding a little 38 special to the tackle box would solve a lot of problems. Haha

Old 10-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
I think adding a little 38 special to the tackle box would solve a lot of problems. Haha

Well said!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Is that legal?

Just curious.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
Your phone will cut out and not work 5-7 miles out. The radio will grab coast guard and other boats in area. I take both with me at all times. If just fishing LJ radio stays in dry bag. If offshore phone goes in dry bag.
Ive found it to be between 10 and 12 miles myself. All the way to Avalon from Dana Point --half hitting mainland half hitting Avalon. Not 4G but signal.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Ive found it to be between 10 and 12 miles myself. All the way to Avalon from Dana Point --half hitting mainland half hitting Avalon. Not 4G but signal.
I have VZW and don't get a strong enough signal to place a call out of LJ 5-7 miles. I know Dana and San Diego have more cell site then LJ. Installing them is what I do for a living.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #18
Zed
BANNED

A-ha! There had to be a downside to La Jolla.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #19
YTHunter
Carlisle

I say f these HHs and whites. You need to figure out a way to protect yourself and a VHF radio may not cut it when you're 3 miles from the nearest person. I had one of these Aholes following me for about an hour and all the while circling my yak and banging the back of it. There's only one way there going to learn. And f PETA too.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
6 encounters hooking three in one day I changed my light pole to a spear pole...a little jab a do ya....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-22-2015 at 05:27 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote