Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Mission Bay, 10-13-14

Steve and I arrived at the Ski Beach launch ramp about 6:15. Met up with quite a few guys from BWE. It was nice to meet some for the first time and others again. Rich handed out some blades (big thanks) and we unloaded and headed out. It was cloudy and pretty chilly with an offshore breeze. Water was 71.5º and clear. Tide barely moved all morning, so we relied on the wind which shifted to a south wind later in the morning for our drifts.

The bite was slow and steady for me with lots of missed opportunities, including one beast which took took drag and pulled me into the weeds and broke me off. Finished with 18 bass (1 was a lost calico), all short. Never really got into any one pattern. Though there was a few areas that produced and others which didn't.

Got bumped on the blade, but that was it. Baits that produced best were 5" Paddlerz in Root Beer/gold flake and Houdini; and 3" Flurrys in Minnow Magic and Gold Chovy. I fished the Paddlerz on a 3/8oz Ultrahead and the Flurrys on a orange 3/8oz Slayer head.

Steve and I got off the water at about 11:45, had a great lunch, and headed home. Traffic was a little better than we normally have going home. Guess we can thank Columbus for that. To all who joined in the fun, it was good seeing you and I hope we can do it again soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
svendawg

Good day OTW

It was good to meet everybody and put faces to names. I fished from 0630 till 1400 and struggled most of that time with figuring out how to fish the grass until the last hour. It seemed like every cast came back with grass until I changed to a different jig head, and that was the ticket. Ended the day with 6 short bass, two of them were 13".
Rich, thanks again for the spinner baits. I did manage to get one fish on one of them.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
octico

It was nice to put some faces to the names. Thanks to Rich for blades, very nice of you. Fishing was good caught 6 all short, largest one was about 13". I used Warbait Slayer Swim jig with a 4" Big Hammer Anchovie. I also caught one with Slayer and 4" Calico Hunter .

I also left around 1:30 had a nice lunch and headed home. No traffic at all.

I was humbled by Steve and Ed. I was fishing right next to them and I was being out fished 3:1 for most of the day. I don't know how they do it, but these guys are pro's out there
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
It was nice to put some faces to the names. Thanks to Rich for blades, very nice of you. Fishing was good caught 6 all short, largest one was about 13". I used Warbait Slayer Swim jig with a 4" Big Hammer Anchovie. I also caught one with Slayer and 4" Calico Hunter .

I was humbled by Steve and Ed. I was fishing right next to them and I was being out fished 3:1 for most of the day. I don't know how they do it, but these guys are pro's out there
Don't feel bad. 6 fish would be a banner day for me at MB. I can catch 50-60 a day in SD bay but MB eludes me. I have fished MB maybe 10 times and caught maybe 18 fish total which is what Amish Ed caught in one day!
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
It was good to meet everybody and put faces to names. I fished from 0630 till 1400 and struggled most of that time with figuring out how to fish the grass until the last hour. It seemed like every cast came back with grass until I changed to a different jig head, and that was the ticket. Ended the day with 6 short bass, two of them were 13".
Rich, thanks again for the spinner baits. I did manage to get one fish on one of them.
I'm curious, what head did you start with and what did you finish with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post

Wow, thanks. I know Rich did well too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Don't feel bad. 6 fish would be a banner day for me at MB. I can catch 50-60 a day in SD bay but MB eludes me. I have fished MB maybe 10 times and caught maybe 18 fish total which is what Amish Ed caught in one day!
We'll get out there together one of these days. I know MB was the same for me for years and then one day it wasn't. I had a good tournament day and then I liked MB. I do know that confidence plays a huge role in bass fishing.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
FISH11

It was really good to meet you guys and to be able to put faces to the names. Rich "Thank You" for the blades you made. I seemed to start slow also. Talked to Steve and he had caught 10 when I was still looking for my first. Finally switched to my favorite Z Man pearl paddler and it wasn't 5 minutes before I caught my first and best of the day, a legal 15" Spotty, released just like the other 4 shorties caught today. Spent part of the day drifting in different areas looking for Halis, but no luck. Was off the water by 12:40. Had some errant to run otherwise I would have stayed till late afternoon.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
inbx3

Thanks again Rich for the blades. MB has been killing me lately, only got 1 non legal and several short bites. Oh well, beats working today. Hopefully make it out again and learn from the 2 pros.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
wade

10X TOUGH!

Monday October 13, 2014 Mission Bay, San Diego.
Launched the PA at first light @ Dana Landing & headed over to meet up with everyone, but no one was to be found?
You know who was to be found?...
ToadZ.

Hauling’ in SpotZ & DotZ all day long...
Early morning working the shallows with the new DieZel Chatterbait +Sexy Mullet 5” PaddlerZ, Swim Jigs w/ 6” Sexy Mullet SwimmerZ, Reebs Bolt Thowers in Candy Apple +6” SwimmerZ Bad Shad trailer. Surface temp: 71-72, Calm, Very light surface clutter, Light traffic for a Monday, Crew training at a minimum also. Had a few ElaZtech goodies bagZ I'll save for round two...Tried hailing up Mark & BWE crew & kept on #68-72 no BWE radio traffic, but a ton o’ releases. Heres a few from today..

WATCH IN HD

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #9
beardedguy
gurmpy old one

Good to see everyone.

I moved north from where everyone was fishing and found some
clean water without all the loose grass. Managed 9 spotties
on plastics and 22 on the blade. Only about six were legals, but
the little guys were fun too.
Think I'll go back again today.

Hope to see everyone again soon.

Rich
beardedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
landwhale

Was a cool morning had me wishing I had brought a sweatshirt though it warmed up once I got on the water and started pulling on some fish. Nice meeting and putting some faces to names and thanks again for the blades Rich good seeing you again. Only threw the blade for a short btime I was having great luck with the Paddlez Redbone 4" and Root Beer in 5" dipped in the Uni Butter so just stuck with them, 10 out of my first 15 spotties were legals all caught in the channel near Sea World with 3 good fish lost when they dove into the Eel Grass. Moved over into the Ski area and added another 10 short spotties. I use a 3/8 oz Owner Ultra head which is the Owner Sled Head in 3/0 without the screw on spring attached to the head coupled which makes the bait weedless and a slow retrieve along the bottom. I've fished MB alot over the years It is my favorite body of water to fish it has various areas that offer a variety of bottom conditions that all work differently various times of the year. Time on the water and experimenting with different baits and techniques makes a lot of the difference,

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
I use a 3/8 oz Owner Ultra head which is the Owner Sled Head in 3/0 without the screw on spring attached to the head coupled which makes the bait weedless and a slow retrieve along the bottom. ,
I was looking into these but could only find the 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz in a 4/0 and would prefer the 3/0. Is that a discontinued size or something that can only be found through a particular dealer? I even checked Tackle Warehouse and the 4/0 is what they carry in those weights.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
spottie_slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I was looking into these but could only find the 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz in a 4/0 and would prefer the 3/0. Is that a discontinued size or something that can only be found through a particular dealer? I even checked Tackle Warehouse and the 4/0 is what they carry in those weights.
I picked up some 3/0 From Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos but they're 1/4 you could have a look at davidscustomtackle.com makes all kinds of quirkie stuff. I follow him on Instafame
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
spottie_slayer

Nice vid wade
dig the sound track
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Monday October 13, 2014 Mission Bay, San Diego.
Launched the PA at first light @ Dana Landing & headed over to meet up with everyone, but no one was to be found?
You know who was to be found?...
ToadZ.

Hauling’ in SpotZ & DotZ all day long...
Early morning working the shallows with the new DieZel Chatterbait +Sexy Mullet 5” PaddlerZ, Swim Jigs w/ 6” Sexy Mullet SwimmerZ, Reebs Bolt Thowers in Candy Apple +6” SwimmerZ Bad Shad trailer. Surface temp: 71-72, Calm, Very light surface clutter, Light traffic for a Monday, Crew training at a minimum also. Had a few ElaZtech goodies bagZ I'll save for round two...Tried hailing up Mark & BWE crew & kept on #68-72 no BWE radio traffic, but a ton o’ releases. Heres a few from today..
Not sure what happened I had my radio on the whole time. We stayed right next to the launch pretty much all day. Looks like you did pretty good out there.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
FISH11

Another great video Wade. Sorry I missed you yesterday. I knew you where launching from Dana Landing and I was around the Sea World channel for a while. I paddled over to the Bahia point area and fished the same area as in your Video as the sun came out. I figured you had provably gone to Quivira Basin area when I didn't see you. I switched from channel 68 cause lately there has been too much chatter from War Ship 2 etc. It seems that's a popular channel for them, Vessel Assist and a lot of guys fishing out a the banks for yellows. I went to 72 but did not hear you calling, sorry. Maybe I'll see you next trip. I managed 1 legal similar to those toads you seem to catch regularly. The other 4 where shorties, all released of course. Thanks for sharing your video.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
captnblood34

Managed 2 decent spotties, and a little
guy. Launched at 7-noonish. I threw every plastic in the box and still came short. Got bumped around the boat docks more than anywhere. Good to meet you Mark and bearded guy.
Attached Images

captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
landwhale

Owner Hooks no longer has 3/8 in any hook size except the 4/0 which will work in the Zoom Flukes and 5" Paddlz by Z Man The zooms they barley fit but will work have used them with the 1/2 oz heads.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
nacho66

It was great meet you all, had a blast. Rich as all said thanks for the blades gave one to my partner in crime "Wally" and the other I caught a short spottie. Hooked into another one on a Reebs. CaptnBlood, that monster was classic, as I said that guy had a lot of heart to take that bait. Wade, I did see you there working the shoreline by the bridge. OC Tico had to show the wife the video you were talking about. I think she wants me to go out with you guys. She has already increased my life insurance. Thanks again all, look forward to another session.
Cheers,
Nacho
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
nacho66

Forgot to post some early morning photos and the track. Which looked like an etchasketch.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413338891.757501.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  80.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413338902.979789.jpg
Views: 2196
Size:  70.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413338942.533378.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  87.9 KB
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
FISH11

Hey Nacho, where did you find in Mission Bay a hot spot like that. I mean wow, the water was 94.6 F. Mark