Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #61
jruiz
Large Member

So is Frank a hero or not?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #62
Ljs089
Junior

I was at the launch all day yesterday 6/26/2018 a day that should have been enforced according to the guys posting on this topic.

I didn't see any warning signs, i see some Coasties when first parking and they saw me, nothing was said. I stayed until night time 8pm, no one was left at Newport harbor but me and a friend, we washed our kayaks and had multiple sheriffs pass us by all day and including when landing our kayaks and washing them, nothing was ever said.

So i don't really believe this topic, pictures or no proof. Otherwise it doesn't matter to me because i'm going to keep going unless there's a warning sign, there was none.
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #63
Ljs089
Junior

A friend of mine spoke to the Harbor Master today, apparently a sign was left out saying there will be a fine etc. etc. turns out the police, the harbor master, Coast Guards, nobody knows who put that sign up.

Anyways the sign has been taken down, if i was to guess it's either one of the people who live at that beach access, or another kayak fisherman being selfish as hell, seeing a lot more of new up and coming kayaks and they still want the spot exclusively like how it may have been years ago.

What are your guys's guesses?
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #64
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljs089 View Post
A friend of mine spoke to the Harbor Master today, apparently a sign was left out saying there will be a fine etc. etc. turns out the police, the harbor master, Coast Guards, nobody knows who put that sign up.

Anyways the sign has been taken down, if i was to guess it's either one of the people who live at that beach access, or another kayak fisherman being selfish as hell, seeing a lot more of new up and coming kayaks and they still want the spot exclusively like how it may have been years ago.

What are your guys's guesses?
Nice! Nothing to worry about then! I've met a few guys at Kiddy beach the last couple times just fishing from the pier or jetty's and told them about the Coast Guard station for launching. I was feeling bad when I first saw the post (not wanting to give newbies bad advice or cause them to get a fine). I'm not worried either way, I was gonna launch regardless.

My money is on some tight ass who lives there did it. I doubt fishermen would go through those lengths to protect a spot. Thanks for the update!!

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 06-27-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #65
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
What do you have to say about Frank now Jorge?
Is that Stan? Better watch out, I'm gonna bump into your kayak next time on the water!! LOL, JK

BTW, hopefully Rich left us some lings at that spot!!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #66
fourtogo

Signs

That’s better , the place I walk my Dog >> part my Moms complex . Some jerk put sign up all official looking . Says this a area with West Nile misquotes keep out . The problem is with people aren’t wanting to share . Ether home owners or who ever .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #67
Raskal311

Rich assholes putting out fake signs to drive people away is nothing new.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #68
DPevin

My money would be more on the outrigger folks.

The homeowners don't make as much sense. We are parking in a parking lot for the most part, and it's not like we are making a ton of noise at 6 am.

Seems more likely to me that the outrigger folks don't like a few spots already taken up by the time they get there in the morning by those of us leaving early to fish. I typically hit it early and launch at 6 and will be back by 10 or so to get home to the family on weekends. The lot is always a mess when im loading my kayak back up.

This whole things is confusing though considering pretty detailed reports of people actually talking to sheriffs and city/county folks who acknowledged they were looking to hand out citations. Maybe that was the plan and when they got a little push back they are trying to play it off like they had nothing to do with it?

Either way...just keep launching.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #69
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Is that Stan? Better watch out, I'm gonna bump into your kayak next time on the water!! LOL, JK
I thought with all of your yard sales I would not see you in my area again. And they are all gone. They have moved to the many other spots.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #70
fourtogo

Launch site

My wife like to get lunch at Gary’s on PCH . So I thought what the heck . We drive down back side . So I can have a look for this signage . Walked out and looked around for the no kayak launching sign didn’t see any sign . Took the ferry across the bay . Had a look around on peninsula side LOTS OF NO THIS AND NO THAT signs everywhere. Seems like every street had NO HAND LAUNCH SIGN that met the bay . Such friendly place as long as you are part of the not part of the sign problem . But they do have stake out tie ups all over the bay kinda condictory .
Old 06-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #71
nmeofun
Junior

Outrigger guys perhaps

I wouldn't put it past the outrigger guys. I sometimes launch at Lower Castaways Park (Dover / SR-1) when I take my kid out and only fish the harbor. When they opened that park, they put a porta-potty at both ends of the park (one right near the launch). Last summer they "Newport Outrigger Club" moved all their boats and gear to the south end of the park next to the launch. They coned off their gear and put a padlock on the porta-potty. The first time it happened my buddy, a retired NBPD cop, called the Park Patrol and got him to cut the lock. Park Patrol said they club lost there space on the other side of the harbor near Southwind, so the city gave them the park space to park their crap. Couple of weeks later, lock was back on the porta-potty. Park Patrol was called and he said he was told not to cut the lock. M buddy pitched a pretty good bitch about it and ultimately the porta-potty was removed which left just one on the opposite side of the park; unlocked. My point, I think, is that some of these outrigger folks appear to have some juice with someone at the city (Park Patrol denied my request to store my RV next to the outriggers). It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they tried to pull shenanigans with a sign followed by demands to enforce it.
nmeofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #72
fourtogo

launch

I park on the street roll my kayak to beach . I usually fish by my self , actually only run in to another kayaker fisherman once and paddler one other time . I don’t want have just skip on down the Coast too fish South Bay .
Old 07-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #73
jbl_91762

Launched no signs no problems 6/30. I am starting to agree with some that its probably the snooty riggers. Very few say hi or acknowledge you with a simple hello or smile. wait then again there are some kayak fisherman that are the same. LMAO. But oh well at least its safe to park there.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #74
Raskal311

It could also be the stations employees, I had a run in with one of them not long ago. Hr yelled at me for driving pass the public parking area to unload my kayak next to the gate to the beach. Seemed like he had issues with kayakers and he took the opertunity and took it out on me.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #75
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
It could also be the stations employees, I had a run in with one of them not long ago. Hr yelled at me for driving pass the public parking area to unload my kayak next to the gate to the beach. Seemed like he had issues with kayakers and he took the opertunity and took it out on me.
For that issue I cant argue as they have a sign clearly posted in the middle of entry to their station employees only yet I see fishing kayaks do it often. I think if people continue to do it, you maybe right and they will close it off or just start fining people.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #76
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
For that issue I cant argue as they have a sign clearly posted in the middle of entry to their station employees only yet I see fishing kayaks do it often. I think if people continue to do it, you maybe right and they will close it off or just start fining people.
I have asked before and was told it was ok to unload there. I've even had fish and game (who probably didn't have the authority) tell me I could drive to the restroom to drop off.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #77
DPevin

yeah...it says you cant drive past that sign, but there is a loading and unloaded area painted on the ground...from what I understand you can load and unload but can park or leave your car outside that loading zone for an extended period of time.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:49 AM   #78
fourtogo

Loading unloaded It’s painted on ground right in front of the gate . Let’s stay on even keel with these folks . We are guests we are not home owners w don’t work there ether . I personally like going here , and wouldn’t like too get the boot . Because of as little beef or dented ego .
Old 07-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #79
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
I thought with all of your yard sales I would not see you in my area again. And they are all gone. They have moved to the many other spots.
Yard sales? I'm not Stevie!! Ok, ok, I got jacked up on that last launch up there, but I only lost my hat!