Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
LEEZO

SWEETNESS!
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #22
pino

Nice Greg , great way to start the year
pino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #23
ratdog

Very impressive Greg, Congrats
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #24
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Nice fish Greg. A lot of guys will be following you this weekend.

Wayne, I have to hand Julie (Aaron&Julie on this website) that honor as she caught the women's 16lb. line class record back in '06 at 46.1 pounds off Doheny.

She backed that catch up with another 40 pounder the same day.

Greg, that's is one sweet 'but, congrats!

Yeah, Bwana, she caught 2 barndoors within an hour, a short day for us. Her 2nd fish was actually 34lbs, and we weighed her record breaker on a certified butcher shop scale in Dana Point after loading the truck, it weighed 47.5lbs. After Jim Sammons let us know she might have a record breaker, we took it to Dana Landing in Mission Bay 2 days after she caught it, so it lost some weight. My success that grand morning was a 24 incher, I didn't even put it on the clip. I nailed that fish right when she hooked her record breaker, but let it go quickly after seeing the bend in her rod, to assist her and have the pleasure of gaffing that monster.

Her record still stands, and it's actually still the biggest IGFA CA halibut recorded by any women on ANY class line. Thanks for the repost of her pic

BTW, she missed breaking her record off of La Jolla with an even larger one that fall off of La Jolla, I did not hit the "sweet spot" on that gaff goof.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 01-27-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #25
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Greg, that's is one sweet 'but, congrats!

Yeah, Bwana, she caught 2 barndoors within an hour, a short day for us. Her 2nd fish was actually 34lbs, and we weighed her record breaker on a certified butcher shop scale in Dana Point after loading the truck, it weighed 47.5lbs. After Jim Sammons let us know she might have a record breaker, we took it to Dana Landing in Mission Bay 2 days after she caught it, so it lost some weight. My success that grand morning was a 24 incher, I didn't even put it on the clip. I nailed that fish right when she hooked her record breaker, but let it go quickly after seeing the bend in her rod, to assist her and have the pleasure of gaffing that monster.

Her record still stands, and it's actually still the biggest IGFA CA halibut recorded by any women on ANY class line. Thanks for the repost of her pic

BTW, she missed breaking her record off of La Jolla with an even larger one that fall off of La Jolla, I did not hit the "sweet spot" on that gaff goof.
Did she catch that barndoor on that little baitcasting setup lying on the bow?
Old 01-28-2017, 05:16 AM   #26
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Did she catch that barndoor on that little baitcasting setup lying on the bow?
No, it was on one of the 2 spinning outfits behind her seat on a medium mackerel patterned Yozuri plug. She caught the 34lber on a live sardine.

They were 2 totally different fights that she had too. The record fish was just a tough slug that stayed vertical for 15 minutes 10 feet below her, never really moving her off it's spot. She didn't dare horse it on the fresh water gear.
The 34 lber was all kinds of ballistic, making runs, towing her, when I gaffed it, it tailwalked and splashed the hell out of me, but somehow stayed on the gaff.

10 years later, and I remember it like it was yesterday, I'm sure she does too.