Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Angry *Added Pics * Mirage drive failed...got home anyway

While chasing butts out by the lighthouse yesterday, my mirage drive failed. The idler cable broke right in the middle. Yikes.
The tide was still running out giving about a 1.1 knot drift. Have I mentioned that I have a PA 14? Older model with the lower seat... Out comes the paddle and the learning begins.

Learning #1: I can't paddle for crap. Seriously. I have never had any other kayak and I can't paddle. I made it about 1/4 mile before coming to the conclusion that this just wasn't gonna happen.

Learning #2: That standard Hobie paddle is too friggin short for the PA 14. Granted, I am a t-rex in the arm length department, but I couldn't reach the water without shifting my grip. This is going close to nowhere...

Learning #3: Mirage drives will work without the idler...kinda. Faced with calling for a tow since there was no way I was going to get back to Shelter Island with my paddle, I figured WTH and put the drive back in to see how far I could get. I got all the way back to the launch with some fishing stops in between! It was making a lot of noise, but it seemed to work ok.

Learning #4 Mirage drives aren't happy without the idler. When I got back, I couldn't get the drive out of the well. Finally just pulled it up on a rock to look under it and saw that the main axle shaft has walked forward about 3 inches and was effectively pinning the drive into the well. How that thing worked with the axle walked out that far is beyond me!!

The weather was perfect. Had it been snotty like last time when I got all the water in the boat, I never could have made it with a paddle. This time was close enough that I turned my radio on to start listening to traffic and though about calling Sea-Tow or hailing a passing Parker.

So, now I have a few things to figure out. As you know from my other posts, I'm big on safety and I don't like risks. I have to either find a paddle that would work for me in a pinch or buy a spare mirage drive, and find a way to store it in the hull that would be accessible on the water. But before all that, I need to call the tech guy at the local Hobie place and see how in the heck to get that drive out of the well!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151109_105024.jpg (27.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 20151109_105634.jpg (26.5 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Hammerhead_77; 11-09-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: posted pics
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Just one of the reasons I dumped my PA for the outback. Fished with two other guys in la jolla last weekend. The guy on PA14 broke mirage drive. Outback paddled in and donated mirage drive to the PA. Not sure how it would have worked if it wasnt for that. Some guys are keeping spare parts for the mirage drive in their hatch, however I'm sure this part kit does not cover every part on the mirage drive. And $600 for a spare drive? No thanks.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
easyday

I've never broken a paddle.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I've never broken a paddle.
I was waiting for all you paddle boys to chime in, what took you so long?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I was waiting for all you paddle boys to chime in, what took you so long?
I would have chimed in sooner but my arms are tired from paddling. Not really, since I have no experience with the Hobies I'm just watching to see how these things get fixed.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Hammerhead_77

if the paddle is the answer, I need to:
1. get a longer paddle
2. learn how to paddle

Although I somewhat suspect that the PA is like trying to row a barge...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
FISH11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead_77 View Post
if the paddle is the answer, I need to:
1. get a longer paddle
2. learn how to paddle

Although I somewhat suspect that the PA is like trying to row a barge...
I would think that you are right! It would be like trying to paddle a barge. I think you should get a better quality (not Hobie) paddle for emergencies. The other idea is get a sail for it. Probably cheaper and certainly move you faster. Then all you have to learn is how to sail.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
jorluivil

Let the fights begin

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I used to carry a spare drive on the kayak. Best investment I made for my kayak.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Iv'e had all those same problems too, but they are few and far between now. You should check your mirage drive after every trip or every other trip. Look for frayed cables, loose cables, unusual wear, bent masts, cracks on the crank arms, loose set screw for the spline shaft...

You should take care and maintain your mirage drive regularly. If you can't or won't...expect to have more failures in the future.

Get a decent paddle
And...learn how to paddle too...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

The #1 replacement part that I sell is far and away the chain, buy one and a wrench to keep with you and you will very likely solve the most common Mirage drive failure.
If you happen to have an old V 1 I'd check local dealers for replacement chains as these have been discontinued by Hobie, I sold my last one in stock a couple weeks ago. Otherwise you need to do an upgrade kit on your V1.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The #1 replacement part that I sell is far and away the chain, buy one and a wrench to keep with you and you will very likely solve the most common Mirage drive failure.
If you happen to have an old V 1 I'd check local dealers for replacement chains as these have been discontinued by Hobie, I sold my last one in stock a couple weeks ago. Otherwise you need to do an upgrade kit on your V1.
I have a V1 for sale in classified section.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
DanaPT

Hooping this year I broke a cable on my way out to the secret spot. the outback can be paddled. not the best tracking kayak.

i now carry the extra side cable and a wrench in my dry bag.

I need an extra middle cable to be complete. I think having 2 or 3 of these is cheaper than buying an extra drive.

and Ful-rac is spot on! inspect what you expect.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Iv'e had all those same problems too, but they are few and far between now. You should check your mirage drive after every trip or every other trip. Look for frayed cables, loose cables, unusual wear, bent masts, cracks on the crank arms, loose set screw for the spline shaft...

You should take care and maintain your mirage drive regularly. If you can't or won't...expect to have more failures in the future.

Get a decent paddle
And...learn how to paddle too...
All respect to Ful-rac...I do indeed clean, inspect and lubricate after each trip.

This started with a little clicking sound...looked for what was causing it and saw a small crack in the black coating on the idler cable. Few minutes later that little crack was a bunch of fraying cable ends and the idler was toast. It went fast. I will carry extra cables for sure...but I gotta say, once the axle walked forward it was game over for an OTW repair no matter what parts I might have had.

To your other point...I didn't really know that this ISN"T a decent paddle. I'd never tried it. Now I have and I'm going shopping for sure. I don't thing this thing will be a joy to paddle no matter what, but with this paddle its a non-starter.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
tamddo714

You should have gotten use to your gear before going out and know what you're capable of. Being sucked out by the tide while miles out isn't really the perfect time to find out that you can't paddle your battleship. Maybe you need a smaller yak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
PapaDave

I always carry spare chains and the tools to fix them. It's a cheap investment that can save your butt on the water. It's also a good idea to have a few of the other parts associated with the drive, like the pins that go into the fins. I've had those come out also, all it takes is the retaining ring to get snagged on some kelp and they bend open.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #17
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Just one of the reasons I dumped my PA for the outback. Fished with two other guys in la jolla last weekend. The guy on PA14 broke mirage drive. Outback paddled in and donated mirage drive to the PA. Not sure how it would have worked if it wasnt for that. Some guys are keeping spare parts for the mirage drive in their hatch, however I'm sure this part kit does not cover every part on the mirage drive. And $600 for a spare drive? No thanks.
Sounds like you guys need a fully equipped spare Outback to tow behind you for when the inevitable happens. And don't forget the spare parts bag for that one too.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
Murray

Like others have mentioned, an extra chain and tools to install is an absolute must unless you enjoy paddling. No big deal to replace on the water if you have the right tools. I recently disassembled my v1 drive and serviced it. Silky smooth and now I know how to repair if needed. Pretty simple with only a few parts that can go wrong on the water. I also lube exposed wire on chain after rinsing to eliminate rust.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
WARRIORMIKE

Is there a good lube out there??
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
Is there a good lube out there??
I like "corrosion x" prevents rust and corroding on metal and electrical connections.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote