Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Help Analyzing a Fish Finder view

Hi guys,

Out on Wednesday, we saw lots of views on the Fish Finder like those below. We dropped irons on these spots multiple times, but only for some rockfish. I know there were lots of small bonito in the area, also some very small yellowtail. I can "guess" at what I am seeing, but if any of you have a good idea of what this shows, please advise.

And yes, I know, someone will say, "fish!", but any idea of what this could be and how to approach if something decent? Irons, dropper loop, mac on a weight, etc....? As I am going out again tomorrow. Probably targeting rockfish, lings, and any possibility of YT.

These could just be showing bait, but on a ball of macs, I don't usually see the fish images.

and here's the 2nd image:

Thanks!
ps.... also a note, almost every rockfish we caught was stuffed with red crabs. A lingcod had a full belly of crabs.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Turn your fish ID off. It shows fish pictures of things that might not be fish. And gets in the way
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Turn your fish ID off. It shows fish pictures of things that might not be fish. And gets in the way
X2 don't use that mode.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
jorluivil

Just like the others said, turn off the fish Id view, after a while you'll be able to identify what type of bait is sitting below. It took me some time to figure it out but now I can tell if a school is Spanish macs or greenbacks, if you get good enough at it you'll also be able to tell if a fish is a male or female.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

the first image looks like a big ball of bonies. kelp on the bottom (near the front edge of the fish ball). possible wolfpack of YT at 70-80. the micro yt usually don't school up THAT tightly which is why i'm guessing they are bonito. and from what i've noticed.. yt have a thicker mark (some yellow on each arch, according to your FF).

then again.. it could be a big ball of some decent sized macs. i'm not expert at reading a FF, i just drop down when i see a decent sized ball/mark and my rod will tell me what it is if it bites lol.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
taggermike

I've gotten so frustrated and confused by what shows, or doesn't show, on a FF that I've wanted to go over the side with a mask to see what the hell is really down there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
onthewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've gotten so frustrated and confused by what shows, or doesn't show, on a FF that I've wanted to go over the side with a mask to see what the hell is really down there. Mike
Or drop a go-pro over and check the footage later.

As others have said, the theory is on bigger fish like a seabass or yellow, they may show up as 'stronger' returns....

I would have a iron rod ready, and a bait rod ready. Try dropping both and see what bites! The frustrating part is when you drop and the fish just have lockjaw and won't bite.

Let us know how you do!
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Too many variables with settings on your lowrance unit to decipher what exactly that is. Each person uses different settings because there are so many options. My advice is to watch a video or do some studying on how to get to a good starting point with the unit. After that go out and drop a yoyo jig until you can pick it up all the way to the bottom. Pay attention to the color since it will be a different color than something soft. Start turning up your sensitivities to where you can really see that jig well but dont have too much clutter on the screen. Have to find the balance point. After that send down a sabiki. I have my FF dialed to where I can see each individual hook on my rig and my weight all the way down to 130 feet no problem. You want to be on the higher side of your sensitivity vs the lower so you wont miss anything good. Just have to learn that there will be some stuff on the screen that isnt good stuff, just a little clutter.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Cbad Mike

If I'm near the kelp I drop my sabiki.
If I'm away from the kelp I drop my iron.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
the dude

the heavier lines might be those bonito, and the lighter / fainter ones towards the bottom would be the red crab imo but I'm no expert. Most of the times I hook up the meter is blank...
Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Goose1993

As everyone else has said, turn off the fish ID. It blocks the real picture of what's down there.

But I don't think those are YT. I've noticed that YT have distinctive, thick arches (I think due to their size?? I don't know the science of fish finders that well). And as others have said, they don't school that tightly.

In the first pic, the strand coming off the bottom is kelp.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Goose1993

On the bottom left of the first pic and the bottom of the second pic is a school of baitfish.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

its mostly kelp in both pics, maybe some spanish in there... notice how the swiggly returns line up directly with the bottom contour, and the lines are continuous. bait should come back more broken up randomly and fuzzy looking. also the return is "soft" ie not the same color as the bottom. gamefish and greenbacks should almost always be hard marks... yellow on your display. also your depth is consistent with the submerged bullkelp in LJ from ~80-100'

PS- this is the cbass ambush zone...
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote