Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
SeaDog

PENN REEEEEELS!!!

Sports Authority has a Penn 500/Slammer 7' combo on sale for $67, if you use the coupon below it comes out to pretty close to $50 (assuming you picking up some other stuff you need too.)

So yeah, if you're looking for a good first stick or you need another one and who doesn't?

http://a2.slickdeals.net/attachment....5&d=1246200825

Of course, depending on what happens with the MLPAs you may not need one
Represent.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
dorado50

Now thats a good deal! A rod and reel for almost nothing.....you get what you pay for.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
SeaDog

So my gear will work better if I don't use coupons?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Siebler

The 500 is hands down one of the best reels ever made. Durable, Easy to Maintain, Parts are Cheap and easy to find....

Great deal, especially with the rod, even if the rod is crap.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
dorado50

Yea, I got two hand me downs that are sitting on the shelf. Why match a great reel with a not so great rod?. I guess all this new technology with reels has sucked me in!.I really should dust those reels off and start using them again!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

Unless you are a maintenance fiend or only fish once in a while, Penn 500 reel do not last. They do not hold up well to kayak fishing. I killed a ton of them before I switched.
Yes I used them for years fishing the boats and they were fine but they do not hold up to kayak fishing on a regular basis. I am not great at cleaning and maintaining the reels, more often than not the rods stay in the truck from trip to trip, My Shimanos just seem to do better than the Penns ever did for me. The main gear would turn into a corroded mess in very short order. At least that is my experience with them.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
rdahl

Jim, I strongly disagree with you. I have 3 jigmasters. I bought one in 1973 with my mom's blue chip stamps. Got another in about 1975 for $11.95, and a 501 in about 80. I fished them pretty hard back then, took a few years off, then got into kayak fishing 10 years ago. I have used them on average 25 days a year over the last 10. Annually I take them apart clean them and change the drag washers. Well, maybe twice a year. They are simple to take apart, especially compared to the newer high end reels that cost a couple of hundies or more. I don't have to worry about soaking them, or even losing one, especially compared to the pain I would feel if I lost or soaked a $300 reel. With new drag washers, I would put these reels up against any other reel that is a fraction of the age of mine. Now I have heard that newer 500's aren't as bullet proof, but I have no proof of that. All I know is that mine have been a great value. You have spent more on one reel than I have on reels in my 49 years. I can honestly say I do not believe I have ever lost one fish because of my reel. Don't let the marketers fool you. You don't need to have the high end reels to catch fish. Just look at the hundred pound bluefins and broadbills that were caught with leather thumb drags back in the day. If you spend a lot of money on a reel for kayak fishing, that's fine, but kayak fishing can be hazardess on reels.

Good Luck.

Rick
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

For the price, that is a great deal, especially if you are on a budget, or just starting out! Jigmasters, work good enough for me, but for a little more money, I prefer Sealines, and TLD 15's.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

i'm a poor sap and i have a few 500's, but the day i spent 70bucks on a new shimano TLDstar my whole world changed....i was hooked then came the speedmaster IV, and the TLD 15 leverdrags (both under 120 at squidco!!!).

The first time i had to tear them down to clean/lube the bearing and replace the drag washers i knew i would never buy another 500 again, IMO they (the TLD series) are; just as easy to tear down
easier to service (the bearing are open, not shielded)
they weigh less
where else are you going to get a compact leverdrag that can put down 22lbs of pressure for under 150bucks??)
not to mention mechanically superior (larger shafts, gears, dragwashers, bearings, all made out of what looks like a brass/nickle alloy or stainless as opposed to the all brass gears found in most 500's) infact the shafts and gears in the TLD series reels are beafier than the stuff in the torrium reel that i have (was a waste of money IMO)

I also have one sealine on my iron chucker, i havn't opened it up but it feels as rugged as the shimanos but it fee-spools a little better.

BUT, where are you going to get a tried and tru reel (penn500) and a rod for under 70bucks??? that does sound like an awsome deal for a loner rod for the kids or friends that way you can just laugh when they dunk it or loose it at the landing, but if you fish alot you probably better off spending the extra 30 or 50bucks and getting one of the shimanos TLDstars and mathing it to one of the shimano Voltaeus rods (an awsome stick for around 30bucks)
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Jim Sammons LJKF

The TLD 15 lever drag is a great troller and The Sealines are bullet proof and cast like a dream.
Was not trying to bash Penn, I used them for years as a boat fisherman but killed way to many of them on the kayak to be worth the even low price for me. Guys who take better care of their equipment would likely do better with them than I.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Siebler

I dont know if youve notced but I beat the hell out of my gear. The 500s just need a decent cleaning every once in a while.

While I agree that Sealines and such are better they are not on sale for dirt cheap with a rod. Personally I fish Avets and Newells most the time but I still have a stash of 500's and squiders

Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
JrBasser

Thanks for heads up man! I'm on my way to pick up another one of these great combos. I bought one one of these combos at full retail a couple years ago as my bait rod for the kayak and would love to get another. My friebds can use them easily when I take them along, and they hold up really well. I also like the "stiff" clicker on the penn 500. It makes it harder for big macs to pull line. And it has lasted twice as long as my TLD 20/40 with half the maintnance.

Good lookin out man, seeya on the water.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
fryguy

Just picked one up. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any info about the rod?
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
SeaDog

For what it's worth, the Shimano TLD15 is going for $99.97 - $25 from the coupon = $75. They were on clearance at mine.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Dan

I know of a Penn 500 that caught a 64# today! F'n Les! Hows he do that?!

TLDs for $75 damn. i'm going.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Siebler

Les? Again? Oh what the hell.......

Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
TLDs for $75 damn. i'm going.
TLD 15 is my favorite kayak live bait reel!

That link isnt working?

http://a2.slickdeals.net/attachment....5&d=1246200825

I wonder if I can justify buying another!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote