Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

YARD SALE!!

Penn Jigmaster and some Cheap Berkley lake setup I use to Sabiki...

Arrived this morning to Gnarly surf at LJ (Or what I would consider Gnarly for LJ please don't laugh haha (; ) yet still hopeful in breaking that kayak cherry! Beautiful conditions though literally no wind to speak of.. I tried to launch around 0550, Sets @ 2-4 feet with what seemed only a 5 second Lull.. I Got broadsided in chest deep water and flipped Not too bad at all though, all intact, including 4 poles. I drug her back to shore and regained composure/untied tangles as it was my first time flipping. Then waited again for best opportunity to get out, I paddled out nice and adjacent to all the waves setting in the new set, then, nearly past the surf on the very last wave in the set, i Just get CRUSHED.. Easily 3 feet overhead, and it just broke perfectly on me, I tried my damnedest to paddle the 300 Lbs on my Stealth-14 past it but nope, just met by a big wall and a crest.

This time it was not so easy to drag her back to shore, she had taken on water and I could feel it (A couple gallons at least!) I Snapped my Gaff pole nearly in half, and ripped the Female adapter off the battery cable as well as the 2 poles lost.. After the first spill, I did not re-leash the 2 poles as to why they were lost to Davey Jones, but no injuries to self, and all other items broken/tossed were recovered from surf and discarded appropriately

Lesson learned for sure, after the 2nd spill I licked my wounds and called it a day, packed everything back up around 0700, and headed home to assess damage as I was definitely not feeling like the 3rd time was going to be a charm Not too much traffic out today, hopefully the other 5-10 kayakers out there today got to hook up! Till next time, Tight Lines!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 04-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

3.5 at 8 seconds it tough manana..............would be just plain stupid

6am 5-8ft
10ft 10s
0.6ft 15s
25 28 mph Sunny 59°f 100%
Old 04-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
3.5 at 8 seconds it tough manana..............would be just plain stupid

6am 5-8ft
10ft 10s
0.6ft 15s
25 28 mph Sunny 59°f 100%

Mistake # 1, not paying enough attention to reports... Haha I'm coming to see you soon Andy for a Lighter Paddle!! Not that it would have helped me break through that monster, but maybe I could have gotten there just a tad bit quicker

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 04-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
King Saba

Man that's harsh. Perhaps you could try getting out from a harbor next time? Do it at least until you're comfortable being around unpredictable waves and swells. It's pretty hard to flip in a stealth so that wave must of been something and this is coming from a guy who fished in a stealth in 8' swells and strong winds (15kts is strong in stealth lol at least to me). And, it sounds like you don't have a bilge or hand pump? I'd really suggest having either one to bail water out quick. It's an invaluable too especially for the stealth since it's prone to leaky hatches if you own one of the earlier models. Hope you get some fishing in soon!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Mistake # 1, not paying enough attention to reports... Haha I'm coming to see you soon Andy for a Lighter Paddle!! Not that it would have helped me break through that monster, but maybe I could have gotten there just a tad bit quicker
A lighter and stiffer paddle helps A LOT actually. Easier to get your strokes in and takes less effort with each stroke.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Man that's harsh. Perhaps you could try getting out from a harbor next time? Do it at least until you're comfortable being around unpredictable waves and swells. It's pretty hard to flip in a stealth so that wave must of been something and this is coming from a guy who fished in a stealth in 8' swells and strong winds (15kts is strong in stealth lol at least to me). And, it sounds like you don't have a bilge or hand pump? I'd really suggest having either one to bail water out quick. It's an invaluable too especially for the stealth since it's prone to leaky hatches if you own one of the earlier models. Hope you get some fishing in soon!

Thanks for the kind words brotha,, This is actually my 5th Surf Launch, every time from LJ, about 10th or so time on the Kayak... But yeah, mistake #2, not timing it well enough and just jumping the gun...

As to a Pump, yeah I have the hand Pump, stayed nice and clipped to my Bow... Problem was the first time I was fine, second time around, the Yak was underwater so long and I was so out of breath, I could not flip her over in the surf for the life of me.. Took me at least 30-45 seconds... Looking over it and noting the battery wire issue, not even sure if a Auto Bilge pump would have worked? Although people have suggested here in the past that you stuff your area where your battery case is with blanket like material to avoid this issue.. Learning curve, doh!

I fell the issue is my my size though as well no? How large are you? The 14' being so big already, I'm 6'1 245lb on a good day so this does not help whatsoever... Gotta get to the GYM

And as to your Paddle comment, I sure hope so because that was another issue of mine. I have a hand me down, the cheapest paddle that Crack of Dawn offers, just a lug! Being out of shape, i was huffing and puffing trying to gain power by dragging that thing through the water.

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 04-24-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
FullFlavorPike

Short period swell will deceive you. It doesn't "feel" the bottom as soon as longer period swell, so it just lurks its way into shallow water and then jumps up right in front of you. The waves will be smaller than a long period swell of the same size, but they're a lot harder to read.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
pingpangdang

Didn't fish today because of the winds and small craft advisory per the NWS marine forecast.

So I made it a survivability day and took my kayak out to surf.

Practiced strong side wave riding along with working my weak side taking some nice lefts. Also practiced kayak reentry and flipping my kayak and reentry.

Had a blast and took some steep waves that closed out with out pearling.

Also plowed through everything with no problem from white water to blasting through impact zones.

Didn't even fall or roll over...

Confidence way up in regards to my kayaks wave handling dealing with the bigger than normal surf we had today.

It was a ton of fun too! Practicing wave riding will definitely squash any anxieties that exist during launch and recoveries.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Didn't fish today because of the winds and small craft advisory per the NWS marine forecast.

It was a ton of fun too! Practicing wave riding will definitely squash any anxieties that exist during launch and recoveries.

Hah, did not even know there was a Small Craft, I checked reports up and down and did not see word whatsoever of that. Any advice as to which source best to follow in regards to craft advisories? I did not even listen to 16 this morning, turned my radio on during Launch while it was on my vest...

But yeah bro, I was thinking about that doing the walk of shame back to my car,, next weekend you will more than likely just see me surfing my Stealth for practice

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 04-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Hah, did not even know there was a Small Craft, I checked reports up and down and did not see word whatsoever of that. Any advice as to which source best to follow in regards to craft advisories? I did not even listen to 16 this morning, turned my radio on during Launch while it was on my vest...

But yeah bro, I was thinking about that doing the walk of shame back to my car,, next weekend you will more than likely just see me surfing my Stealth for practice
http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...750&syn=pzz700

Use this link above from the National Weather Service. ..they up date I even in the A.M I'm talking round the clock.

Gale force winds this evening and still a small craft advisory.

It's a great day to practice surfing a yak...obviously without the rods. If you do flip never be between your kayak and the beach unless you like x - number of pounds of hard plastic smashing into you. Get on the other side most west so if a wave crashes you will be away from danger.

Try playing in the surf...there are youtube videos to learn from. I find it easier to ride a wave then going straight in if the waves are big. Stay to your strong side I.e. i go right lower body remains straight upper body facing the wave face with my paddle dipped to the rear for control. When you ride a wave for some distance you can also pull out by applying pressure and a short stroke to help you turn right...it will slow you down the wave passes so quickly turn left to face the beach to paddle in safely. At this point you will be way past the impact zones and will have less powerful whitewater to deal with.

Even if you try to pull out of a wave and cant you'll just scurry sideways as long as you remain calm and don't lean too far right.

As for launching always keep your bow facing directly at the wave...If you are crooked the wave will turn you sideways and you'll be taken back with it.

Remember speed and plow through straight. ..If you are straight and not paddling. ..another no no. You want momentum so paddle hard up until the wave crashes on you...If they were big like the ones I took today lift your paddle quickly over your head until the water passes through. For small waves just keep paddling.

If you are trying to avoid getting wet take a few minutes to watch the sets...sometimes 5 minutes or until you see a pattern. Waves come in sets 3 or five or more just watch. ..The last few are the biggest so get ready to boogie when you think it's the last big wave of the set...This intuition comes from studying the waves prior.

Don't delay when it's time and paddle through hard...you can rest past the breakers. Don't half ass it...If you timed it wrong and just sit there like a lame duck hoping the wave will pass you by you won't have momentum and you'll get tossed. Kayaks are buoyant and are really hard to push under water...with enough momentum and buoyancy you will plow through waves.

Think about riding a bike you are less stable going slow and you are very easy to push over...with more speed you are less rocky...ever been on a boat anchored in rough swells? A lot if rocking. ..not so much with speeds.

Hope this makes sense. Also try jumping out of your kayak and getting back in...have your pfd. You may find out certain things you have on your pfd get snagged on your kayak...or a rod holder mounted in a bad position acting as a barrier. Try flipping your yack and getting it up right. Try from the side then from the bow and stern. .. you never know if a shark may block you from flipping on the side as he's biting down...get further away flip from the bow and enter from the bow.

It's a fun day at the beach doing this...try it in the bay first then practice at the beach.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Hey Stevie, be glad it was La Jolla! Soft sand and shallow water, it could've been a lot worse!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
rdahl

Quote:
http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...750&syn=pzz700

Use this link above from the National Weather Service. ..they up date I even in the A.M I'm talking round the clock.

Gale force winds this evening and still a small craft advisory.

It's a great day to practice surfing a yak...obviously without the rods. If you do flip never be between your kayak and the beach unless you like x - number of pounds of hard plastic smashing into you. Get on the other side most west so if a wave crashes you will be away from danger.

Try playing in the surf...there are youtube videos to learn from. I find it easier to ride a wave then going straight in if the waves are big. Stay to your strong side I.e. i go right lower body remains straight upper body facing the wave face with my paddle dipped to the rear for control. When you ride a wave for some distance you can also pull out by applying pressure and a short stroke to help you turn right...it will slow you down the wave passes so quickly turn left to face the beach to paddle in safely. At this point you will be way past the impact zones and will have less powerful whitewater to deal with.

Even if you try to pull out of a wave and cant you'll just scurry sideways as long as you remain calm and don't lean too far right.

As for launching always keep your bow facing directly at the wave...If you are crooked the wave will turn you sideways and you'll be taken back with it.

Remember speed and plow through straight. ..If you are straight and not paddling. ..another no no. You want momentum so paddle hard up until the wave crashes on you...If they were big like the ones I took today lift your paddle quickly over your head until the water passes through. For small waves just keep paddling.

If you are trying to avoid getting wet take a few minutes to watch the sets...sometimes 5 minutes or until you see a pattern. Waves come in sets 3 or five or more just watch. ..The last few are the biggest so get ready to boogie when you think it's the last big wave of the set...This intuition comes from studying the waves prior.

Don't delay when it's time and paddle through hard...you can rest past the breakers. Don't half ass it...If you timed it wrong and just sit there like a lame duck hoping the wave will pass you by you won't have momentum and you'll get tossed. Kayaks are buoyant and are really hard to push under water...with enough momentum and buoyancy you will plow through waves.

Think about riding a bike you are less stable going slow and you are very easy to push over...with more speed you are less rocky...ever been on a boat anchored in rough swells? A lot if rocking. ..not so much with speeds.

Hope this makes sense. Also try jumping out of your kayak and getting back in...have your pfd. You may find out certain things you have on your pfd get snagged on your kayak...or a rod holder mounted in a bad position acting as a barrier. Try flipping your yack and getting it up right. Try from the side then from the bow and stern. .. you never know if a shark may block you from flipping on the side as he's biting down...get further away flip from the bow and enter from the bow.

It's a fun day at the beach doing this...try it in the bay first then practice at the beach.

I will add a story that may help people in the event of a big wave in the face. Was paddling out in the dark one time in March several years ago (seabass around). There was big surf. Could not see it. No stars or moon. Could here it. After years of surfing and kayaking there was no confidence lacking. Stood in knee deep water for a long time counting sets and trying to find a lull. Thought I found one, jumped in and paddled like there was no tomorrow. Could barely see a horizon. Kept jamming out to where I thought I was getting close to the end of the surf line. Could feel a big wave coming in. Getting sucked out, horizon disappears. knowing big wave is going to break completely over me I am paddling as fast as possible to pop out the back of the wave. It happens. Big face comes completely over me. I am going at least 5 mph and fly up and out the back of the wave. As I am going airborne, something is not right. When the face broke over me, I ducked at the last minute. I did not do anything with my paddle. It was perpendicular to the wave. Wave snapped it in two. Had a good landing out the back of the wave but with the paddle snapped in two, and the next set wave approaching, there was not much to do. Bailed just before it hit me, and held on to the yak to prevent full yard sale. Got nailed, but made it back to the beach without any loss of gear. Drove home, got my extra paddle, and made it out on the 2nd try-though it was light at the time.

Note to self and others: when going through a wave, tuck and point paddle straight into the face.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Today was a good day for a yard sale.

If you want more challenging conditions, try again tomorrow. Waves are predicted to be 10-11.5' with winds 20-30mph.
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...recasts/latest

If you conquer that and catch a nice fish, I will be in awe of your talents.

Personally, I think I'll stay home and take care of some overdue bills and paperwork. Do my laundry. Clean my house. Weed my garden. Maybe grill a steak for dinner. Maybe drink some dry, full-bodied red wine and watch a movie at home :-)

I need to re-wire my fish finder. Tomorrow is a good day for that.

We always have options.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:

So I made it a survivability day and took my kayak out to surf.

Practiced strong side wave riding along with working my weak side taking some nice lefts. Also practiced kayak reentry and flipping my kayak and reentry.

Had a blast and took some steep waves that closed out with out pearling.

Also plowed through everything with no problem from white water to blasting through impact zones.

Didn't even fall or roll over...

Confidence way up in regards to my kayaks wave handling dealing with the bigger than normal surf we had today.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
jorluivil

shit happens

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Today was a good day for a yard sale.

If you want more challenging conditions, try again tomorrow. Waves are predicted to be 10-11.5' with winds 20-30mph.
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...recasts/latest

If you conquer that and catch a nice fish, I will be in awe of your talents.

Personally, I think I'll stay home and take care of some overdue bills and paperwork. Do my laundry. Clean my house. Weed my garden. Maybe grill a steak for dinner. Maybe drink some dry, full-bodied red wine and watch a movie at home :-)

I need to re-wire my fish finder. Tomorrow is a good day for that.

We always have options.
Yup no fishing for me today. ..just enjoyed a morning on the beach with my little boy and wife. Great day to grill some of that tail in the fridge. ..taco time! Surf and turf! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1461552515228.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  93.3 KB

Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdahl View Post
I will add a story that may help people in the event of a big wave in the face. Was paddling out in the dark one time in March several years ago (seabass around). There was big surf. Could not see it. No stars or moon. Could here it. After years of surfing and kayaking there was no confidence lacking. Stood in knee deep water for a long time counting sets and trying to find a lull. Thought I found one, jumped in and paddled like there was no tomorrow. Could barely see a horizon. Kept jamming out to where I thought I was getting close to the end of the surf line. Could feel a big wave coming in. Getting sucked out, horizon disappears. knowing big wave is going to break completely over me I am paddling as fast as possible to pop out the back of the wave. It happens. Big face comes completely over me. I am going at least 5 mph and fly up and out the back of the wave. As I am going airborne, something is not right. When the face broke over me, I ducked at the last minute. I did not do anything with my paddle. It was perpendicular to the wave. Wave snapped it in two. Had a good landing out the back of the wave but with the paddle snapped in two, and the next set wave approaching, there was not much to do. Bailed just before it hit me, and held on to the yak to prevent full yard sale. Got nailed, but made it back to the beach without any loss of gear. Drove home, got my extra paddle, and made it out on the 2nd try-though it was light at the time.

Note to self and others: when going through a wave, tuck and point paddle straight into the face.
Now that must of been a big wave! I usually can just lift it over my head to avoid the paddle catching....that's unless it's bigger than my arm can reach.

A few weeks back in pitch black darkness a wave smashed my deck...plowed through but my lowrance fishfinder snapped off its base and good thing it didn't rip it from the cable because that was the only thing keeping it onboard. Now if there are waves that are bigger than shin slappers I will stow the fish finder....same coming back if it's rough.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #18
Superduper
Junior

Yes it was a challenging day to say the least. I did get wet going out. Took a creeper wave in the face. Once out I had this thought of "wow it's gonna be interesting coming in" swells were tall. Once you made the ride to the top you could see where you were...
Finding bait was easy. Dogs were hard to manage due to the swells. Lost 3 greenies to them. Headed to condo and stayed inside. Seemed to be really rough inside today. Very tall swell. Got hit with a screamer around 8:45 ish. Didn't stick. 15 mins later in 60 ft water fish on the fly line. It was a kelp battle but I prevailed. Headed in knowing the winds were a coming. Boy did they. Timed my landing patiently and rode the white water to the sand. Fish weighed in at 27lbs. Thanks for the beer Gary 👍
Attached Images

Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #19
Phishphood

Way to get it done on a sketchy day

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
Yes it was a challenging day to say the least. I did get wet going out. Took a creeper wave in the face. Once out I had this thought of "wow it's gonna be interesting coming in" swells were tall. Once you made the ride to the top you could see where you were...
Finding bait was easy. Dogs were hard to manage due to the swells. Lost 3 greenies to them. Headed to condo and stayed inside. Seemed to be really rough inside today. Very tall swell. Got hit with a screamer around 8:45 ish. Didn't stick. 15 mins later in 60 ft water fish on the fly line. It was a kelp battle but I prevailed. Headed in knowing the winds were a coming. Boy did they. Timed my landing patiently and rode the white water to the sand. Fish weighed in at 27lbs. Thanks for the beer Gary 👍
Haha you and your damn luck! I am sure you saw me eat it the first time around, as i was dragging back to shore i could see you storing your stuff Beautiful fish brother!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13