Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
svendawg

Gonzaga Bay/Las Encantadas report

Steve (EOD) and I did a last minute trip to Gonzaga Bay/Las Encantadas from March 13th till the 27th. The first three days we camped at Papa Fernandez in Willard Bay and fished Willard Bay and the point off Gonzaga Bay.
The remainder of the days we stayed and Makobob’s & Robmoney place at Las Encantadas. While at Las Encantadas we fished the reefs north of the house and Punta Bufeo and drove to Gonzaga Bay a couple of days to fish the Bay there.
The weather was fishable every day but the conditions changed sometimes by the hour. One day we launched at Gonzaga Bay with strong winds out of the east thinking we could get to a protected cove and fish. An hour later the wind died down and we had great conditions for a while then the wind came up, and then died down. It did this throughout the day. During the day the wind shifted from an east wind to a south wind and then an offshore wind to end the day.
On another day there were thunder storms in the mountains west of the Bay which just missed us but we had to keep a close eye on the clouds in case we need to get off the water.
We had a rain showers at Las Encantadas on another day which is very unusual according to Luis the owner of the new restaurant that just opened. On another day we were fishing an outside reef when the wind came up so fast we had to hightail it the nearest beach until the wind died.
While we stayed at Las Encantadas we ate every night at the new Restaurant, La Poma, which just opened about 300 yards from Makobob/Robmoney’s place. If you bring them your fish they will cook your fish and give you the fixings for fish tacos for about $5.00 a meal. We had Cabrillo most of the nights. They do have a menu if you want something other than fish tacos, or they will accommodate your requests. One of the nights I skipped the fish tacos and had fish and chips.
Fishing was slow at times but we did get some quality fish to make up for the slow bite. The best part of the trip was that the trigger fish were not as bothersome as that usual are and we were able to fish plastics most of the time.
Fish caught: Yellowtail, Sierra, Cabrillo, WSB, 100's of Sand Bass, Orange Mouth Corvina, Snapper, Hog Fish, Leopard Grouper, some triggers but not too many.
WSB was 50.15 pounds, 57"

Attached Images

svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
walrus

Sven,

Thanks for the update on the new cafe. Lots of nice fish too. I can't wait for June to get here too soon for me. Stocking up the old tackle box already.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Saweeeet!!!! The WSB were caught at Gonzaga right? Very cool can't wait to get back down there!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Saweeeet!!!! The WSB were caught at Gonzaga right? Very cool can't wait to get back down there!
Great report, Sven! Glad to see you and EOD at it again. Miss that place tons!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That time of the year again. Saturday we do HOW at OEX and Sunday it is back to Gonzaga for another week in paradise. See you soon Sven. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
rdahl

Just curious, do you know how to tell the difference between a WSB and a totuava? I don't.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Damn Sven. Got those cortez seabass dialed.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
EastLosYaker

Great catch! Can't wait to get out there next week! What were the daytime/night time temps? Last trip out we dipped to about 30...Fahrenheit!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
svendawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdahl View Post
Just curious, do you know how to tell the difference between a WSB and a totuava? I don't.
I consulted a couple of experts on this exact subject. Here is their method of telling the difference.
Expert #1 Walrus
1. The anal fin, located just in front of the tail fin on the bottom of the fish, is rounded on the Totuava, and WSB has a squared off edge. (see attached Pictures)

2. The tail fin, Totuava has a scalloped edge tail fin, while the WSB has a convext curve or straight looking tail fin. (see attached Pictures)
I always look at the anal fin because it's easy to see in the water if you get the fish a little on it's side. Also I remember "Rounded" starts with an "R", the same as release. "Square edge" starts with "S" the same as save for dinner!

Expert #2 Makobob
The caudal fin, aka anal fin on the WSB is squarish. On aTotuava it is ROUNDED'

Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
svendawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
Great catch! Can't wait to get out there next week! What were the daytime/night time temps? Last trip out we dipped to about 30...Fahrenheit!
Daytime around upper 70's nighttime around upper 50's lower 60's. I did need to wear a sweatshirt on a couple of nights.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
svendawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Right, I lost 6 lures to break offs and being taken into the rocks before I landed this one.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

the zipper on the belly of the WSB dead giveaway...........now can you tell the difference between an orange mouth corvina and a Totuava..........that gets a lot trickier

That's some good fishing for March.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
bigbarrels

Awesome !! Heading down May 20-24 if anyone is interested in hearing down
Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Holy Cow! That is a Beast!
Congrats, sound like the trip is pretty fruitful.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #15
tattuna

Awesome trip and great variety! Toad wsb and cabrilla too. I've fished that area a couple dozen times since '04 by yak and panga and I've experienced some winds that will have me forever respecting what's possible and unpredictable there. Glad to hear it was a safe and productive trip!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #16
walrus

"now can you tell the difference between an orange mouth corvina and a Totuava"

The Totuava can be confused with other Croakers including the Orangemouth Corvina, the Shortfin Corvina,and the Yellowtail Corvinai.

If in doubt, these croakers have pectoral fins that are equal or shorter in length than their pelvic fins. Totuava have pectoral fins longer in length than their pelvic fin.

FYI, and clarity:

The pectoral fin is located on the side behind the gill plate, the pelvic fin on the bottom of the fish behind the gill plate but in front of the anal opening.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #17
blitzburgh

Holy cow that is awesome!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #18
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

going to have try to make it down this year. that looks like a blast!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #19
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Right, I lost 6 lures to break offs and being taken into the rocks before I landed this one.
Hey Sven,

How deep of water did that guy come out of?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Hey Sven,

How deep of water did that guy come out of?
And what lures did you loose, casting or trolling?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote