Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #41
Jim Sammons LJKF

If you recall many of the reports back then consisted of " I caught it in 100' of water in front of the hotel"
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #42
Jimm H

Dr. Gary. wow.

Bill Coin, Neil, Art Who, cabo rick, EagleEye, Phreshwon (Mark Rosas), Mike Mann San Diego Jeff,..... How about "Crazy John" in his rowboat?

I met Johnny Ceviche on a news years morning launch with John Pawlak (EagleEye, aka Paddlefetish). John was paddling in after a monstor BSB had towed him 7 miles out on NY eve. Lately he is running marathons, but he still goes out to LJ now and then. He kept track of his WSB catch by the 100's of pounds, not in fish.

I remember that GWS discussion, Avery! it was early Feb 2003 or 04. We saw the fin of a big one the following weekend in 60 ft. off south TP Reef 1. It was pointed right at Tom and me, and sunk out about 150 ft away. never saw the body, just a foot of fin. Tom asked what I thought we should do again, and I told him, "Nothing. I'm screwed if it wants one of us because you're an attorney, so you'll get professional courtesy..."

EagleEye used to post a question, then post a derogatory response under one of his other board names, then sit back and watch the other responses come in.

These guys had thousands of hours on the water, hundreds or thousands of launches. Many started doing this 20 years or more ago. Newer members here don't know them because the board hype changed and most just quit posting. Many of us moved into boats.

Anyway, I recently sold my 19' orange RIB (Pumped Up), and am waiting on a some engine work on a 2001 trophy 2052 WA I just bought, so I will probably launch the kayak sat morning. I'll post a report.

Last edited by Jimm H; 07-04-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: sp
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #43
swinginFish

Hilarious!

Jimm,

In the jargon of the day .. LMFAO!

"Professional courtesy"! Great.

Now if John P. could/would chime in, all will be right with the world ...

WELCOME BACK!

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
If you recall many of the reports back then consisted of " I caught it in 100' of water in front of the hotel"
........on 20# on a Calcutta 400 .....or a Jigmaster if you were poor like me.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #45
rdahl

Jimm H back in a kayak? man Jimm, you better stock up on the motrin and ben gay! If it was a different weekend I would join you. Maybe in August. GL

Rick
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #46
Jim Sammons LJKF

Yeah what happened to Crazy John, man he would row that boat for miles and was ripped. Looked and acted like a crazy street person but was funny as hell, very nice and as I mentioned he could row his ass off. Run into him on the water and you were sure to get some bizarre comment.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #47
Margarita Mike

Loven it all. BWE keep up the great work.
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #48
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
Dr. Gary. wow.

Bill Coin, Neil, Art Who, cabo rick, EagleEye, Phreshwon (Mark Rosas), Mike Mann San Diego Jeff,..... How about "Crazy John" in his rowboat?

I met Johnny Ceviche on a news years morning launch with John Pawlak (EagleEye, aka Paddlefetish). John was paddling in after a monstor BSB had towed him 7 miles out on NY eve. Lately he is running marathons, but he still goes out to LJ now and then. He kept track of his WSB catch by the 100's of pounds, not in fish.

I remember that GWS discussion, Avery! it was early Feb 2003 or 04. We saw the fin of a big one the following weekend in 60 ft. off south TP Reef 1. It was pointed right at Tom and me, and sunk out about 150 ft away. never saw the body, just a foot of fin. Tom asked what I thought we should do again, and I told him, "Nothing. I'm screwed if it wants one of us because you're an attorney, so you'll get professional courtesy..."

EagleEye used to post a question, then post a derogatory response under one of his other board names, then sit back and watch the other responses come in.

These guys had thousands of hours on the water, hundreds or thousands of launches. Many started doing this 20 years or more ago. Newer members here don't know them because the board hype changed and most just quit posting. Many of us moved into boats.

Anyway, I recently sold my 19' orange RIB (Pumped Up), and am waiting on a some engine work on a 2001 trophy 2052 WA I just bought, so I will probably launch the kayak sat morning. I'll post a report.
I don't know J. Ceviche personally but from all the videos I've watched I feel like I do. He was a huge inspiration for me.

EagleEye is the one that got me interested in getting a kayak. I knew him from church and he kept saying let's go out sometime. I finally bought a Kayak and have been hooked ever since.

Getting to know all of you guys over the years is what helps make this site so great, and to have others coming in stepping on our toes telling us newbs to be quiet, what and when to post really started making it no fun to come here. Now I'm feeling that fun again. The Mods did a great thing and I'm looking forward to learning more from you all.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #49
CurtyL

I'm glad I haven't been on the boards in a while - seems like we've gone the way of every other forum. to0 many haters. zIf you must - hate on politics, hate on taxes, on the second ammendment, hate on gay people and abortion. Who gives a fuck? We fish on kayaks. We are not so selective that we can afford to hate on eachother. In fact LJ kayak fishermen may be the smallest subset of the lot. I get competition, but one reason I'm proud to say this is my hobby is cause I know all you guys are not dicks. And competiion is just being friendly. Cuase lets face it, none of us really (except for Josh) know what we're doing.

Otherwise it's be a vido game.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
Dan

Was Crazy John "shake rattle and row"?

He moved to Hermosa. We stuck together in the fog one day and when it lifted we were almost off del mar. He was excited and I was 4 hours late to work that day.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #51
Saba Slayer

A trip down Memory Lane

Does anyone remember this 1995 Pacific Fisherman cover ???

That's my 1st Scupper with the Humminbird unit on it.

Dennis Spike wrote that article and woke a LOT of fishermen up to the joys of Kayak Fishing. Although he burned a lot of bridges... He really was the "godfather" of Coastal Kayak Fishing.
That's his cousin Howie in the cover photo...he was the one who introduced both Dennis and myself to kayak fishing in the early 90's, at Westward Beach at Point Dume.
There was a real nut that we met that was catching a lot of Threasher Sharks on his yak and using something he called a Ryno Bar...Jeff Kreiger aka RYNO!
"Dem's was the Days"...!
It's a different world now...gotta love the internet?!
Jim / Saba Slayer

PS...Who could forget Johnny Ceviche's great grandpa...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 07-06-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #52
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

Awesome string of posts from some great people.

I will no longer heckle and intimidate on the Board.

I'll just save it for Jimm Sammons Fred Hall Seminars!
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #53
Zed
BANNED

I will not be intimidated!
I will heckle who I wish!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #54
monkeyfishturds

Censorship goes both ways. BWE didn't mind Dark Horse asking his clients to hold back their catches for a few weeks. Your members are men, if some people are bullying them, they can stand up for themselves and tell the bully to go pound sand. All points of view are worth reading. I hope you don't ban them, over zealous or not.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #55
Neil
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
But Jim it was true
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #56
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds View Post
Censorship goes both ways.....Your members are men, if some people are bullying them, they can stand up for themselves and tell the bully to go pound sand. All points of view are worth reading....
Someone sent me a link to this in a PM, and evidently I missed this the first time around, but I got to say it's definitely pretty enlightening.

So you are pro freedom of speech when it comes to bullying, or web stalking but you are against freedom of speech when it comes to posting reports, or having people exchange even general info about places they fish like Malibu.

Simply Amazing.

You might want read the other responses in this thread. Pretty much everyone agrees that BWE is about sharing information, and they want it to be civil, where people can exchange information without worrying being attacked bullied or harassed.

This is not an attack but I took the time to read all your posts, and with the exception of where you tell someone where they can't fish in Malibu do to the closure, I don't see anything that could be seen as sharing info, or helping other fisherman.

In light of your statement above and posting record I would like to ask you a simple question:

"What do you think these message boards are for, and if they are not for exchange of info what do you think they should be about?

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #57
blazian

wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds View Post
Censorship goes both ways. BWE didn't mind Dark Horse asking his clients to hold back their catches for a few weeks. Your members are men, if some people are bullying them, they can stand up for themselves and tell the bully to go pound sand. All points of view are worth reading. I hope you don't ban them, over zealous or not.
Josh or Darkhorse doesn't talk shit on the boards when people post fish reports. I'm glad to see most of the fricking asshats who tried to control fish reports are gone or banned, good riddance!
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #58
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Amanda Cerny solves all conflicts:

At least this worked last time.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #59
Cbad Mike

I really don't get what this whole problem is. If you don't want to post then don't. If you do want to post then do. I believe that we are all adults with at least a half of brain so what's the problem? Maybe it's just me and I missed something , I don't know. I've read just about everything there is to read on BWE and have learned ALOT thanks to ALL of the posts. This is an online community and as any type of community there are a lot of different views from alot of different people. Some people are nice and some people aren't. Some people are helpful and some aren't. I really don't understand what the fuss is. I can tell an asshole member from a cool member that I'd like to fish with. I can tell the difference in who's overly cocky and who is cocky because they prove it on the water. If a guy wants to share the exact spot and how he caught fish there then cool. If another guy doesn't want to share his secrets and techniques that he's spent uncountable hours on the water learning then that's cool with me also.
My point is if you don't like what someone writes then ignore that person. If that person is such an asshole they will eventually burn their own bridge themselves. The only thing that I think a member should be banned for is if they threaten violence towards someone.
The one thing that I would like to thank BWE for besides the knowledge that I get everyday from reading the forum is that it hasn't gone the way of Bloody Decks. I like that it's exactly what us kayak fisher people need and not all the other BS.
Now the one thing that does bug ME is the fact that some new members repeatedly ask basic questions that they could easily get answered and more if they'd just take the time to read more then the most current threads and posts. It's like they want someone to paddle their kayak for them, bait their hook and hand them the rod without ever spending one minute on the water themselves.
Like I said maybe I'm missing something here but that's my opinion if I'm still entitled to it.

The above rambling has been brought to you in part by the great beer of Ballast Point.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #60
jorluivil

Its just a bunch of grown men fighting over something neither owns or will ever own. Funny thing is that even those that bitch the most got their start/info the same as the newbie. How many guys can actually say they went out on a hunch and caught a limit of wsb or yt? If fishing revolved around a 'hunch' I'd be pulling up 40lb hail's every week, matt would have his 100lb thresher, Roby would have that 40lb yellow, eric would have caught something......anything, tony would have caught a 60lb wsb and greg would have caught a 45lb halibut.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote