Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Entropy
Junior

New to saltwater kayak fishing

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been kayak fishing for a few years, freshwater bass. I just ordered an OK prowler 13 to get into saltwater fishing. I'll be going to Cabrillo near long beach this Saturday morning with the naked yak and 2 rods. Mostly to get used to the new boat and get a feel for it before starting the upgrades. I live in the san gabriel valley (pasadena). Any tips appreciated, or areas near where I live (for beginners) where I can easily launch. I am comfortable in a kayak, but freshwater fishing is... well.. freshwater...
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
DragginPanda
Junior

I took kayak classes with Long Beach Parks and Rec, and I stay mostly in Alamitos Bay. Alamitos Bay is shallow, calm, and you’re never too far from shore. I believe the bay is 12-17 feet deep in most areas.

Spotted bay bass, perch, and various croakers are in the area. Some halibut are the channel. If you need stuff or repairs then Sunset OEX is down a bit.

I usually drop shot with raw shrimp with shell, at most grocery stores. Later, I’ll use mussels from the pilings. Most everything I catch is just attacking boat docks.

You can launch by the Parks Dept/Roller Hockey area which has a hose and stands. Or, you can roll under a life guard car entrance down by a yacht club.

I’m on vacation, so I’d be glad to show you around.

Once you get experience, then you can go out to the oil islands and catch some of everything. Or, fish the jetty and breakwall.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Entropy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragginPanda View Post
I took kayak classes with Long Beach Parks and Rec, and I stay mostly in Alamitos Bay. Alamitos Bay is shallow, calm, and you’re never too far from shore. I believe the bay is 12-17 feet deep in most areas.

Spotted bay bass, perch, and various croakers are in the area. Some halibut are the channel. If you need stuff or repairs then Sunset OEX is down a bit.

I usually drop shot with raw shrimp with shell, at most grocery stores. Later, I’ll use mussels from the pilings. Most everything I catch is just attacking boat docks.

You can launch by the Parks Dept/Roller Hockey area which has a hose and stands. Or, you can roll under a life guard car entrance down by a yacht club.

I’m on vacation, so I’d be glad to show you around.

Once you get experience, then you can go out to the oil islands and catch some of everything. Or, fish the jetty and breakwall.
Thanks for the tips, that sounds perfect, I was at seal beach fishing the pier and the jetty last weekend. I should be there around 7 AM on Saturday. I'll PM you my phone number. Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
DragginPanda
Junior

Sorry, can’t make Saturday. The nieces and nephews are on vacation so we will be at Disneyland for a few days.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 AM   #5
tak100
Recruit

I have fishing Cabrillo quite a bit this year. Lots of fish there. Lots of pressure too. Mostly small guys with the occasional larger model. If you are comfortable with smallish swell it is a great place to fish.

Los Alamitos has much easier launch options and you can always head out to fish the wall or the oil islands which hold bass but get even more pressure. It is a bit of a paddle but very doable, about 2.5-3 miles from the horny corner launch.

I would be glad to show you what I know at either location. I usually try to fish on Friday's to avoid the crowd but I am sure we can figure it out.

Probably going this Friday depending on the weather.

A couple of not too old reports from Cabrillo:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34271

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34259
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Try Los Alamitos, Cherry Beach, and Huntington Harbor. I would wait until you are comfortable with kayak fishing before going to Cabrillo. With the wind and freight ship traffic, it could be overwhelming for a beginner.

Last edited by jruiz; 07-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Entropy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
I have fishing Cabrillo quite a bit this year. Lots of fish there. Lots of pressure too. Mostly small guys with the occasional larger model. If you are comfortable with smallish swell it is a great place to fish.

Los Alamitos has much easier launch options and you can always head out to fish the wall or the oil islands which hold bass but get even more pressure. It is a bit of a paddle but very doable, about 2.5-3 miles from the horny corner launch.

I would be glad to show you what I know at either location. I usually try to fish on Friday's to avoid the crowd but I am sure we can figure it out.

Probably going this Friday depending on the weather.

A couple of not too old reports from Cabrillo:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34271

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34259
That's awesome Tak, I wish I could fish on Fridays. Do you fish morning of afternoons? I figured afternoons the tide and wind would be a little crazy.

I am going back to Alamitos bay this Sunday morning, I actually fought something big near the jetty there last weekend for about 15 minutes, got towed big time. Eventually it broke my line. I am checking my drag when I get home sometime this week and the test line as I think the drag was set too high and that's why eventually I lost the fish.

That fish was too big for my experience to be honest. I have never fought anything like that coming from freshwater bass fishing. I am sure somebody with more experience would have pull out that fish. Gotta keep trying
Old 07-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
tak100
Recruit

If you were outside the jetty it was probably a thresher shark. I saw one jump not 30 yards from the end of the middle jetty once. I later read about that area being a thresher nursery. A big bonito can pull pretty hard as well but in that area I would bet on a thresher.

I usually start in the mornings and fish until I run out of water. The parking is better and the wind picks up most afternoons. Doesn't take much wave to get you wet when you are sitting 6 inches off the water. If I think it is going to be a good day I bring extra water. I have raced the sunset a few times.

I usually fish on my off Friday's but it doesn't take much of an excuse to get me out on the water.

PM Sent
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
Entropy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
If you were outside the jetty it was probably a thresher shark. I saw one jump not 30 yards from the end of the middle jetty once. I later read about that area being a thresher nursery. A big bonito can pull pretty hard as well but in that area I would bet on a thresher.

I usually start in the mornings and fish until I run out of water. The parking is better and the wind picks up most afternoons. Doesn't take much wave to get you wet when you are sitting 6 inches off the water. If I think it is going to be a good day I bring extra water. I have raced the sunset a few times.

I usually fish on my off Friday's but it doesn't take much of an excuse to get me out on the water.

PM Sent
i didn't get any PM lol. Lucky to get Fridays off!. My wife gets every other Friday off at her job. Jealous.