Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Harry Hill

Gaff length

What is the best length for the gaff on a kayak? I'm thinking 18 to 24 inches in case you have to reach out a little. Most of the videos I've watched seems to show gaffs about that length.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
taggermike

My gaffs are around 36" long. That's maybe longer than needed but its comfortable for me. It seams like no matter what length a gaff is you always want to reach and lean toward the fish. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

24" gaff is perfect for me.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

My old gaff was around 24" and I just built a new one at around ~36". I wanted a longer gaff for me personally, because I've had some situations where I've needed to extend further to reach a fish in the kelp.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
skrilla

I use a 2ft cause I sit low. I get requested longer for guys sitting higher in wider kayaks.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

32" is not at all uncomfortable for my Outback. I have not tried 24" but that makes sense too.

You can buy a 3' gaff on a wooden pole and cut it down to whatever feels good to you.

Squidco has simple wood pole gaffs for reasonable prices.

http://www.squidcofishing.com/WOOD-HANDLE-GAFF_c9.htm

Squidco prices are so reasonable you can buy both and keep the other as a backup, or give it away as a gift.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-13-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Mahigeer

My gaff is an adjustable, floating one.

Best of all worlds.

About $40.00 including tax if I recall correctly.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

I would probably think differently if I did not have the 6 rod tubes on the PA14, but since I do, I like to have a long light gaff. I have been experimenting with different lengths, and so far like 5'. I also prefer to buy a stainless steel hook and grind it barbless rather than buy the galvanized gaff hooks that will rust out eventually. I use light bamboo, so that if I drop the gaff it will float. Only fault to bamboo is strength....have to be mindful and gaff near the head. Mid body and aft shots can snap light bamboo on bigger fish.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Bamboo looks cute and artistic, and it seems to be traditional.. They can be beautiful hanging on the wall as a decoration.

Maybe if I needed something extra long to reach from the deck of a boat high off the water, bamboo might be a cheap and reasonable material?

Personally, I would prefer the strength of something like a shovel handle or other tool-quality hardwood.

I wonder how "Calcutta Bamboo" ever became a popular standard in the first place? It's only bamboo.

Bamboo fishing rods once had their time and place too, but I think that time has passed.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Bamboo fishing rods once had their time and place too, but I think that time has passed.

try to buy a good bamboo rod and you will see their time hasn't passed, it's just gotten too expensive for most of us.

Bamboo is light for it strenth and strong for it's weight.

I'm making a gaff from a 24" axe handle, I like the oval shape in my hand, it will keep the gaff straight when I strike and it will make a good priest if I need one.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I would probably think differently if I did not have the 6 rod tubes on the PA14, but since I do, I like to have a long light gaff. I have been experimenting with different lengths, and so far like 5'. I also prefer to buy a stainless steel hook and grind it barbless rather than buy the galvanized gaff hooks that will rust out eventually. I use light bamboo, so that if I drop the gaff it will float. Only fault to bamboo is strength....have to be mindful and gaff near the head. Mid body and aft shots can snap light bamboo on bigger fish.
Out here we use calcutta bamboo. Heavier than your backyard variety but stronger and yes it still floats. I have a few sets getting used and abused on the local sportboats and non have broke. The Mustad gaff hooks have developed some surface rust ( they live on deck 24-7-365 ) but still have years of life left. I imagine hundreds, if not thousands, of fish have been landed on em. I'm sure they've got more than their money's worth out of those things by now.

My personal gaffs barely have any surface rust. A freshwater rinse, towel dry, and a coat of cooking oil once in awhile goes a long way.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Since when did bamboo gaffs become "CUTE" ?

Bamboo is what gaffs should be made out of. Light, strong, floats, beautiful, sustainable, cheap, doesn't corrode, available world wide....why wouldn't you make one out of bamboo?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post

try to buy a good bamboo rod and you will see their time hasn't passed, it's just gotten too expensive for most of us.

Bamboo is light for it strenth and strong for it's weight.

I'm making a gaff from a 24" axe handle, I like the oval shape in my hand, it will keep the gaff straight when I strike and it will make a good priest if I need one.

I had one I mde from a framing hammer handle. Really liked the feel and I got used to getting the fish in range to use it successfully.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Since when did bamboo gaffs become "CUTE" ?
What lots of people make and sell as gaffs now looks like art. Homemade gaffs are nice to hand out as gifts.

Why not? Ornamental knives and swords are nice too. Beauty can transcend function and creativity is up to the artist.

I found a vintage gaff on ebay not long ago that is embellished with a pattern of beautiful burn marks on the hardwood handle. Non-functional patterns, but pleasing to the eye.

I don't know when "calcutta" bamboo became popular as a pole material (not sure if that's any different than Home Depot bamboo for most people making gaffs). If you watch "vintage gaffs" on ebay, bamboo doesn't turn up much, if ever.

I didn't mean to imply that I don't like bamboo. I like bamboo too. It makes beautiful gaffs.

Scroll down to "calcutta" for general characteristics compared to common yellow bamboo or other kinds of bamboo:
http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo/bamboo-poles.html

It seems that Calcutta bamboo is known for being solid, unlike bamboo with hollow pockets between the "knuckles"

Wangi and turtle bamboo looks good too.

Vintage walking canes might be a good and beautiful source of gaff poles.

Properties of Calcutta bamboo
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ylhMag&cad=rja

This looks like a vintage bamboo gaff:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VI...QAAOSwI-BWFyVD

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-15-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Maybe if I needed something extra long to reach from the deck of a boat high off the water, bamboo might be a cheap and reasonable material?

Personally, I would prefer the strength of something like a shovel handle or other tool-quality hardwood.

I wonder how "Calcutta Bamboo" ever became a popular standard in the first place? It's only bamboo.

If you ever get in a situation with a large high energy fish like a tuna, mahi or wahoo, a longer gaff can shave off some fighting time -- maybe have a shot at a second fish before a school is long gone. I was glad to have a long gaff earlier this year when I had a double hook up on kingfish. Had to put one rod in a scotty holder while I reeled the other one in. The longer gaff allowed me to end the first fight sooner -- the first fish was flopping around in the kayak while I reeled in the second fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M4r3WDw1RI

I am currently using a 6ft fiberglass rod blank that I converted into a gaff. It is heavier and harder to maneuver than my old (home depo bamboo) gaff, plus if dropped, it will sink. A shovel handle might be good for short 2' gaffs, but the longer, the harder to handle with one hand while trying to steer the fish into position with the rod in your other hand. Thank you for posting the links on the Calcutta Bamboo. I now have a better appreciation for Calcutta verses just buying any bamboo pole that might look straight, but lack the strength and flexability. Currently bamboo for gaffs and lift poles is still a simple economical solution -- I plan to make more gaffs from calcutta bamboo.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #16
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Out here we use calcutta bamboo. Heavier than your backyard variety but stronger and yes it still floats. I have a few sets getting used and abused on the local sportboats and non have broke. The Mustad gaff hooks have developed some surface rust ( they live on deck 24-7-365 ) but still have years of life left. I imagine hundreds, if not thousands, of fish have been landed on em. I'm sure they've got more than their money's worth out of those things by now.

My personal gaffs barely have any surface rust. A freshwater rinse, towel dry, and a coat of cooking oil once in awhile goes a long way.
Thanks for pointing out the significance of Calcutta Bamboo. If I coated my galvanized gaff hooks with cooking oil and washed them with fresh water, probably would not have rusted up. Since I am abusive on this, I'll keep using ground down barb stainless steel hooks, unless you know of a manufacturer of stainless steel gaff hooks ?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

These are more expensive than the basic $6-7 copy of a Mustad gaff hook, but they look pretty nice:
http://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-1804-...eel+gaff+hooks

I was pleased with the commercial quality of Danielson brand hardware I bought recently to make my halibut straight gaff with slip tip. The marine quality stainless steel was quite heavy duty and beautifully polished. It was better than I expected.

Here's another gaff that looks interesting for the price, handle shape and material. The nicely turned handle doubles as a club. At 32" it's a convenient kayak size.
http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-Gaff...lson+gaff+hook

Personally, I would drill the end of the handle to hold a nylon wrist cord and tether point, and it looks like the wood edges could be sanded down a little for a more finished look. I would also spend a little more time to taper smooth and sharpen the tip over the straight angle bevel it comes with out of the box.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-17-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-1804-...eel+gaff+hooks

Here's another gaff that looks interesting for the price, handle shape and material. The nicely turned handle doubles as a club. At 32" it's a convenient kayak size.
http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-Gaff...lson+gaff+hook
Seen both prior, not what I'm looking for. If you can find a link for just the normal style gaff hook in stainless , without the heavy sleave -- post it. Thanks for looking.