Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Trident 15
Junior

La Jolla Launch site Questions

Hi I was wondering what is YOUR way to Launching at La Jolla ??

Please start from : Do you drive in on Avenida De La Playa then what unload Where? Then Where are you supposed to Park ?

Do you Drive down La Vereda to park OR Camino Del Oro ?

Do you use a kayak dolly ? or carry

Any help will be Greatly appreciated !!
Im trying to do it right the first time.

Bob...........

P.S. Is live bait a must OR does anybody fish the swimbaits at Lajolla Kelp !!!

Thank You...........
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
j mo

Google

Try using Google, great stuff there:
http://www.google.com/search?q=launc...d4059960dcc272

Also search function on this site will guide you to many an answer. Plastics will serve you well if your targeting bass and such. But the old addage of matching the "hatch" w the catch is the way to go IMO.

Good luck
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident 15 View Post
Do you drive in on Avenida De La Playa then what unload Where? Then Where are you supposed to Park ?

I drive on Avenida De La Playa and straight onto the beach. This is NOT for everyone and I have seen MANY get stuck. After unloading, I park in the parking lot right there on La Jolla shores park.

When busy when picking up, I will sometimes park on Avenida De La Playa in the loading zone and make many trips back and forth to my truck, then carry the yak.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident 15 View Post
Hi I was wondering what is YOUR way to Launching at La Jolla ??

Please start from : Do you drive in on Avenida De La Playa then what unload Where? Then Where are you supposed to Park ?

Any help will be Greatly appreciated !!
Im trying to do it right the first time.

Bob...........

P.S. Is live bait a must OR does anybody fish the swimbaits at Lajolla Kelp !!!

Thank You...........
Here is what I do....
Remove two rear seats from mini-van
Load Trident 13 and all gear, including yak cart.
Drive to the parking-lot north of the boat launch.
Strap on the cart, unload kayak (and block as much traffic as possible by placing my yak across the aisle), load all gear on it.
Walk across lot towards grass park, walk diagonally across part of the grass lot, then along the side-walk past the life guard tower (making note of anyone with their foot in a bucket....) frequently switching hands pulling the yak.
At the launch, remove yak from cart and bungie strap it to the back of the milk-crate I have.
(...Skipping numerous steps for short reading...)
Watch waves and go for it.
Enjoy the day that has been offered.

First stop for me has been the kelp beds with a sabiki.
Next time I plan to try something plastic near or in the kelp beds to see what happens (as suggested by someone here).

Have fun.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
jorluivil

On thing you absolutely positively must remember is that when you're about to drive past the cement barricades DO NOT STOP, if you do and you don't have four wheel drive you're probably doomed. The walk from the parking lot to the launch site isn't bad when you arrive but it can feel like a ten mile trek after a long day of fishing for nada.....yes, I'm speaking from experience.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
roadx

my ritual is to park at the green 15 minute parking right before the sand, load the kayak with all my gear except my peddles and fish finder. pull the yak to the beach with a set of wheels and drop the yak off, then head back to the truck with my wheels and park at the main parking lot by the lifeguard tower. once parked i grab my peddles and fish finder and make my way back to the kayak. coming in i just reverse going out.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
my ritual is to park at the green 15 minute parking right before the sand, load the kayak with all my gear except my peddles and fish finder. pull the yak to the beach with a set of wheels and drop the yak off, then head back to the truck with my wheels and park at the main parking lot by the lifeguard tower. once parked i grab my peddles and fish finder and make my way back to the kayak. coming in i just reverse going out.
I've thought of doing that but a little nervous leaving my yak and stuff while I walk/drive back.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I've thought of doing that but a little nervous leaving my yak and stuff while I walk/drive back.
Yeah, feel the same way, even though I've done it a number of times.

Just made a purchase that I will be testing out next trip. A motion sensitive alarm padlock. Anyone fools with the yak and makes it move, the alarm will chirp. After a few times of chirping it lays on the 110 dB alarm for a full 10 seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
Trident 15
Junior

Thank you Guys I know it seemed like a lot of questions but i have never been there and i didnt want to do something Dumb and come back in and find a ticket or my truck towed !

BTW did you Check the weather for this Friday when i Checked it out it Forcasted Flat with no wind

Thank you...

Bob.................
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote