Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
kayakhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post

I can't imagine trying to fight a 30lb YT on a 9ft rod with heavy drag and not using "the rail"....talk about a back breaker!!!

X3.
Imagine you have a pig YT straight up and down and it decided to go home to the rocks or deep kelp, with spectra it would be like a bandsaw to your leg or yak.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #22
roadx

Quote:
I'm all for guys buying a proper spinning set-up! As long as there's guys who can't cast, or simply can't cast when they actually come face to face with a full on 'foamer of feeding fish, or a Football field sized school of free-swimming fish---there's a time and place for having a nice spinning set-up if you asked me. Which is the reason why I'll be rockin' one here soon as well. While my time is incredibly inexpensive, it's valuable to me.

ok..... so..... what is a proper spinning setup? if your talking stella or van staal then i wont be getting a spinner.
which spinner in a reasonable price range is suitable?

the saltist 4500h seems to ME to have the right spool size with enough drag, how does this reel rate?

standing up i can cast very well, grew up with conventional reels (penn 500 mostly). sitting down is a different story, i havent had that much practice.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
TCS

Thanks very much for all the input. A lot of people I respect have chimed in.

Here's a review of the Daiwa Saltist 6000H
http://new.stripersonline.com/forum/...-big-thumbs-up

Here's a link to a spinning rod that might be pretty solid. Look at the TMSX80XH
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont..._Spinning.html#

I need to make a decision and it comes down to this for me: have more fun in June and July. Have more fun later. It's not really about the money, which will dissappear anyway one way or another.

I have a nice saltist conventional, that if I put on a good jigstick I will be able to learn to use. By September.

I could pick up the reel and rod above now and have fun over the weekend. (Apparently there are fish out there)

I could also do nothing, which would suck even more than making the wrong choice.

By the way Josh, you told my I'd shoot my eye out when I got the HDS. Just to drive home the point that the gear doesn't make the fisherman good: I still see just fine and the fish I've been targeting are still happily swimming in the ocean or have been eaten by a better angler than I!

Thanks again!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #24
dorado50

Throwing poppers at breaking yellowfin with a spin reel is so cool. I use a shoulder harness with belt, those reels have mucho power! Spinners can really make those lures dance!! Still not sold completely on use from a kayak however...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #25
Trident 15
Junior

TCS Thanks for bringing up this subject I was thinking the same thing I have looked at my spinning combos 15 to 25 lb setups NOT BIG ENOUGH !

Then i looked at BPS and after an hour of looking and touching rods and reels NOTHING seemed right kinda like Josh was eluding to . Not 1 rod seemed to excite me. I will take a look at the Terramar tmsx80xh on Wednesday.

I think with the right rod , reel and ? what do you think of Vermillion Red PowerPro 50 Lb , I also have many Wax wings to Try out TOO.

P.S. i also didnt want to be that GUY with the Coffee Grinder.

Bob...............
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote