Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
TJones

Thresher shark processing help

He was mortally wounded and wasn't gonna make it. Now what do I do? Decapitated him, cut tail, bleed out, and gutted. Can I donate it? Is It worth preserving and vacuum sealing? He was the perfect size for harvesting though. About 80 lbs. How is the taste on scale of 1-10? Thanks for help.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

HOW used to take fish donations when they were still holding events. Sharks are pretty tough. How did it get to the point of getting mortally wounded?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

Many people love it. Compare it to swordfish. Goes great on the bbq. Cut the beast in 1” steaks keep some and hand some out. People like the idea of free steaks. And usually eat them right away. Gives you a chance to experiment and try new things.

Now the important question. Where did you catch this beast? And I’m presume you gut hooked this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Agreed. Eat as you would eat a sword.

Makes great escabeche, which will keep for quite a while in the fridge.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Harry Hill

if prepped immediately should be good but allowed to lay around dead and I can taste the uric acid in the meat. I quit buying swordfish in the market because it is usually shark and tastes of urine.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
HOW used to take fish donations when they were still holding events. Sharks are pretty tough. How did it get to the point of getting mortally wounded?

Gaff

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

Steaks or cubes for kebab.

Have a stone nearby to keep sharpening your blade, that shark skin can really dull it fast if you are doing skin-on steaks.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
TJones

Had to get my lucky jig back, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Gaff

On the serious note, he was done fighting within 10 min and he just hunkered down. I replaced the treble on the jig with a massive single hook that went through and through on his lower jaw. No way in hell was I wanting to get B slapped trying to pry out my jig with pliers. Of course cutting the line would be a good option, but I was worried he was too green. Granted, he at surface in about 10 min. There was a lot of superficial damage to his face from jig smashing into his grill. Is it possible that I was drawing his mouth closed and it suffocated him? Well, this is my first harvested, not my first caught. Hopefully, my last harvested. Free pick up in Burbank, if anyone is interested. Neighbors will take some. I decapitated him immediately after gaffing. Severed the tail off to bleed out both ends. Hopefully to reduce the urination and gamey taste.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
TJones

how to remove skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Steaks or cubes for kebab.

Have a stone nearby to keep sharpening your blade, that shark skin can really dull it fast if you are doing skin-on steaks.
I saw videos on you tube and they were serving up these nice clean steak and loins.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
Oolie
Headshots Only

You don't need to remove the skin if steaking, you can score it before grilling, but if you do remove the skin, it makes a nice wasabi oroshi.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #11
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post

On the serious note, he was done fighting within 10 min and he just hunkered down. I replaced the treble on the jig with a massive single hook that went through and through on his lower jaw. No way in hell was I wanting to get B slapped trying to pry out my jig with pliers. Of course cutting the line would be a good option, but I was worried he was too green. Granted, he at surface in about 10 min. There was a lot of superficial damage to his face from jig smashing into his grill. Is it possible that I was drawing his mouth closed and it suffocated him? Well, this is my first harvested, not my first caught. Hopefully, my last harvested. Free pick up in Burbank, if anyone is interested. Neighbors will take some. I decapitated him immediately after gaffing. Severed the tail off to bleed out both ends. Hopefully to reduce the urination and gamey taste.
I'd like to try it out. I'm just 10-15 mins north of you in Mission Hills. Sent you a PM with my contact info.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
summers in kuwait

If properly harvested, Thresher is amazing meat and the belly might be some of the best meat the ocean offers. I was speaking with Yanni about this subject years ago and he said its one of his favorites! Steaks are amazing, you can also cube and grill.

I served a part of 20-30 people with some of my thresher. I made sliders with Hawaiian sweet bread, a chipotle aioli and slaw. I informed everyone ahead of time that it was shark. People were amazed by the flavor and said it was some of the best seafood they had ever had!

Here is a little recap from my thresher catch in 2017.

Cheers,
Todd
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
If properly harvested, Thresher is amazing meat and the belly might be some of the best meat the ocean offers.
Todd - how do you define "properly harvested"? Bled and gutted on the water? Bled only? Time between catch and putting on ice?
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
TJones

was on water yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
I'd like to try it out. I'm just 10-15 mins north of you in Mission Hills. Sent you a PM with my contact info.
Just saw this message. I will reply. Fish has been packed in ice and I will start to steak it out today.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #15
TJones

Thanks for everyone's help

I have used the utmost care which is my standard practice. Decapitated immediately upon gaffing. Back end severed off. Gutted and rinsed on water so I don't have a mess at home. Catch was taken early in morning with overcast sky's. Stored in hull of PA while heading in. Placed into a large cooler and drove to nearest place for 10 bags of ice. Im looking forward to this.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #16
TJones

Sent you a text this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
You don't need to remove the skin if steaking, you can score it before grilling, but if you do remove the skin, it makes a nice wasabi oroshi.
Let me know if you get it. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #17
TJones

Apologize for not responding yesterday

On the water
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5B26473-0D41-4E0D-A00D-266B4AF33E11.jpg (61.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 7365A0DB-6BB0-4EE2-AAF4-8D72FE4A9EC0.jpg (64.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg FCD56CB9-A566-41F0-9E8F-564495019017.jpg (53.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
kayakfisherman

Hey TJones! Todd is right, T shark meat is my favorite. Especially the belly.

I always leave the skin on and only remove it after I cook it. Plus, I always simply steak the fish from head to tail. That way it keeps it simple and easy to manage in the freezer.

Good eats there!! Yanni
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
SoCalEDC

its typically fantastic meat. Makes great tacos. Very "meaty" fish.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #20
PapaDave

It tastes great, I like it. And that looks to have been a female, not a he...