Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
YlwFin
Junior

I really need your advice/opinion

I really don’t mean to bash, that’s not my intent.
I recently bought a brand new Hobie Mirage Outback after a few years of wanting a kayak to fish on. My first time out on Mission Bay for 3 hours the kayak filled with 4 or 5 gallons of water so I took it back to the dealer. After a few days the owner called me and was very nice who said they had tested it and was leaking very badly and they could not locate the leak but had isolated the area and was going to send it back to Hobie and that I was going to be getting a new Kayak. A week later I get a call from the dealer telling me my repaired kayak was ready for me to pick up. I was told there was a bubble or something under the bracket mount that holds the power drive and it was fixed. I can see where it was fixed.
I was hoping they were not going to repair it and was relieved when they told me I would get a new one. I would feel differently about a repaired kayak 6 months or a year from now but I’ve only used it for 3 hours on Mission Bay. I clearly had an issue when I bought it.
To me this is going to probably be a weak point in this boat.
Should I ask for a replacement kayak or just take this one and move on?
YlwFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
HELLSTER INC.

Brand new yak, I would definitely request a replacement!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
yakrider

I find it really hard to believe that Hobie did not give you a new one!
I myself had a 2006 outback, I had it just under a year, it broke at the pedal well, they gave me a new 2008 model, brand new, that one, after less than a year broke at the pedal well, and once again, I receiveed a brand new one, that brand new one was a 2009 model with the click in pedal mount system...
since then, no more issues with the outback...
I would demand a brand new one, It's not Hobie that is not giving you the new one, it's the shop, You should contact Hobie yourself and let them know whats up!
I also bought a kayak for a friend, and his kayak broke too, in the footwell, and again...he got a brand new one!
get the new one! you paid for a new one, a patch job is unacceptable!
I am pissed for you!!!!! Hobie will stand by their stuff, they are great!
GRRRRRRR!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Lets_Fish

Remember that you paid good money for a "safe" yak, not a defect. The manufacture should cover you with either a replacement kayak without defects or request a refund from the dealer. Hobie make a good kayak and I believe that they stand behind their products. Just remember, it's your money!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
ODOGFISH

I have never heard of HOBIE doing a repair , if its that new it should be replaced free of charge ... I would be suspicious of your dealer , good luck hope it gets resloved

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it

Oscar
ODOGFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
dondon86

Damn!!!! 4 to 5 gallons. Should be a no brainer. Shame on whoever decided to do go with a repair job! I'd Get a freakin new one.
dondon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Vikingj

Mine was 2-3 months beyond the warrantee period before a hairline leak appeared at the mirage drive well. I did not ask or expect it, but, I got a brand new, updated model within a week. Your shop owner is not providing you with the service you deserve.
If you are not satisfied go ahead and name names so others will avoid your problem. For those looking for outstanding service in the future I strongly recommend you buy from Dana Point Jet Ski.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
YlwFin
Junior

Thanks for the input, this thing has been really bugging me.
On the repair, when I spoke to the dealer I was told they were going to send it back to Hobie I just assumed Hobie did the repair. Maybe the dealer did the repair.
YlwFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
My dad and I both bought our Hobies through OEX in Sunset Beach and my father also had a leak in his Outback which was replaced through OEX. The customer service has always been top notch. If anyone is considering thats where I spend my money.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Hypoxic1

Talking Time for a new boat

I have had a few problems with weak points on the hull and twice Hobie replaced the boat, no questions asked. Something doesent sound right here. I have never heard of hobie patching a hull either. I dont think they want the liability of you sinking on a kayak that was known to fail .

Contact hobie directly if the dealer is not playing ball.
They are in Oceanside.
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
IB Fish"N"

Who was the dealer? or should i say was it in the San Diego area? I would demand a new one like the others said Hobie stands behind there product.
IB Fish"N" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Fish"N" View Post
Who was the dealer? or should i say was it in the San Diego area? I would demand a new one like the others said Hobie stands behind there product.
Hmmm SD dealer????

Definitely not OEX or Dana Point Jet ski - Top notch customer service from both. I had a Hobie PA that had a massive leak in the scupper hole. The boat was way out of warranty and DP Jet ski and the Hobie rep took care of me. Brand new 2010 delivered and my choice of color. Can't beat that customer service. I'd take it back and ask for the Hobie rep to meet you at the dealer....that's just not right and who ever the dealer is!
Like Yakrider said, "I am pissed for you"

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

I have no doubt that if you express to the dealer that a repair is an unacceptable option that you will receive a replacement kayak.

Quote:
I really don’t mean to bash, that’s not my intent.
give the dealer an opportunity to make it right.

Quote:
Should I ask for a replacement kayak or just take this one and move on?
Should you demand a new kayak, IMO, YES.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Should you demand a new kayak, IMO, YES.
Customer service #1
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote