Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation Next MLPA meeting--April 28 (Tues) in Oxnard

This is an important meeting as RSG reps now take guidance from the Blue Ribbon Task Force and Science Advisory Team data and feedback (supposedly with new 0-30 m fine-scale data) and battle it out to narrow the current 10 maps down to 5.

You can give talking points, or cede your time to another kayak fisherman, or person to speak.

April 28, 2009
Residence Inn by Marriott
2101 West Vineyard Ave.
Oxnard, CA 93036

Anyone from SD crazy enough to drive up there?
From Terry Maas, Spearo rep.

Speakers,
The state is requesting that only comment directed toward Regional Stake Holder Members is appropriate. I think what is meant by this is that information directed toward the stakeholders can include:
1. Specific locations advice ie, your views on PV, LaJolla, Malibu etc.
2. Issues of water quality
3. Size and spacing of reserves
4. Local knowledge of habitat missed by the SAT at specific locations
5. Your views on the size of some of the proposals, ie External C
6. Your views on favoring a specific array proposal, ie-the FIN/FIC--External A
7. Comments on how specific proposals will affect you
8. Perhaps suggest a go-slow approach with an eye to re-evaluation in 5 years as is required by the plan.

Public comment is limited to Tuesday only at 3pm. Joe Nguyen will help organize the speakers

Anyone staying after the meeting is invited to discuss the meeting and the process at dinner at a local restaurant, location TBA.

Terry

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 04-20-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added info.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

It is time to rally, there will not be many more chances.

I am taking a vacation day. I hope you ALL will too.

A 3 hour drive will suck, but losing fishing grounds, and not participating in the process, and not having your voice heard, will suck more.

Let's take on those spearos mano a mano in greater attendance.

Let's get some carpooling, whatever, you need to do to get up there. I might have some room in lil CRV, waiting to here back from others. If anyone is going from SD, and has room in your car, POST UP!

Our Reps need our support, we need to show up in force.

chris
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Bump!

I forgot to add....

The time scheduling is TBD, but likely around 1pm for public comment, I will post more time specifics, as I hear them.

chris
Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
PAL

Come on up - your stakeholder reps need your support.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
kurt

If I can get the day off, I'm in.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Kurt, let me know we can carpool...

To be honest, I can't believe more Kayak Fishermen are not rallying, and making time to attend this meeting... This is not like a MLB season with 162 games... Think of it as game 3 World Series, not many chances left to attend a game.

Please support Paul, and MJ.

Many Speardivers are supporting Terry Maas, and Eric Kett.

Many Bders are posting thousands of threads on nonesense, and a few are attending...

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Corey

I wish I could come along, but I cannot take the 28th off work - it's my busiest day of the month, actually. Hopefully some others can step up & get up there to represent. I will do my best to make the next one.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Dennis

Workin' on trying to get a sitter. I'd love to make it. Thanks for giving us the heads up, Chris.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs up

Dennis, I might have room in my "whip." Let me know if you get a sitter.

chris
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Bump.

What part of the maps and closures do we fisherman not get?

Only 2 kayak fisherman showed up to the Searocket bistro MLPA mixer after work hours with free food.

Only 1 kayak fisherman went to the Dana point meeting that I know of and he is from San Diego. Kurt . I thought that with such a strong kayak community in Dana Point and Orange County that kayak fisherman would have a good showing and us San Diego guys wouldn't have to make the trek.

How many guys will miss work and drive all the way to LJ when a squid bite goes off, yet can't be bothered to show up for a few hours at an MLPA event that may ban us from fishing our local grounds forever. Letters and emails I am sure have some impact, but nothing like showing up will. If we want to have a positive impact we should make ourselves seen and heard.

If they are really going to narrow the 10 maps down to 5 at this meeting our fate could be sealed if they pick the wrong 5 .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool

Great points Tyler, you ought to post this up on www.kayaksportfishing.com and http://baytuber.informe.com/index.php they are the main boards up north of SD.

If you are attending, be sure to state you are kayak fisherman, ie a consumptive recreational angler. There are some who think kayakers are just the people in la jolla who check out the sea caves, and sea gaze. With my kayak fishing record this year, I guess I fit into that category!

PS: you can cede your time, if you do not feel comfortable talking, sh*t I'll use it!

ROLL CALL!!!!

chris
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Chris, go ahead and post it for me, or link it to here. They never let me register at www.kayaksportfishing.com . I am not a member of Baytubers either. I don't want to lurk an anymore sites without adding anything .

Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
kurt

Quote:
Only 1 kayak fisherman went to the Dana point meeting that I know of and he is from San Diego. Kurt
One other kayak fisherman spoke. I'm not sure who it was. If you can make these meetings, please come. If you're a better public speaker than me, that's just about anyone, please come. 200 kayakers off of Mission Bay trying to catch a halibut does not sound like a pleasant future. I know Oxnard is a far drive, but I'd rather drive far to go to a meeting and stay local to fish.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Bump. come on guys. 15+ people comment on some dumbass getting pasted in the surf, 20+ people will argue about the latest fish report, and almost no one will comment on the MLPA, lend their support or go to a meeting or MLPA mixer?

If the MLPA closes LJ, Point Loma, and Cardiff, there will be almost no more kayak big fish reports from San Diego. Although we may get some new surf videos of our new launch sites to argue about.

I can't believe the guides and businesses with the most to lose have not even commented on the process or lent their face and name to fight against it.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Matt
Support your local pangas

I will double check with the Boss man tomorrow and if he gives me the day off I am doing the drive! C'mon everybody it is extremely important that we get to this meeting and show people that LJ is so important to us. I know a ton of you guys have sick days saved up so take one and let's roll on up, I will post tomorrow if I can go for sure and if so I have room for 3 more people and you don't have to contribute any gas money I will cover it!! Out of excuses yet????????????
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Awesome Matt! I think Jim Sammons is looking for a ride, check out his surf class thread.

It would be great to have local LJ guides, and kayak fishing vendors attend this meeting, and testify on the negtive economic impact their businesses will have, due to the Marine Life Protection Act Initiative.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Sweet Matt, one more.

I didn't go to the dana meeting and regret it now after hearing about the lack of fisherman. I hear the spearos had great numbers there. I hope we can at least match that. There are more guys that kayak fish than spearfish. On top of that kayak fisherman and spear fisherman have the most in common.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I will double check with the Boss man tomorrow and if he gives me the day off I am doing the drive! C'mon everybody it is extremely important that we get to this meeting and show people that LJ is so important to us. I know a ton of you guys have sick days saved up so take one and let's roll on up, I will post tomorrow if I can go for sure and if so I have room for 3 more people and you don't have to contribute any gas money I will cover it!! Out of excuses yet????????????
Matt I will take you up on the offer...I have Clay that week, so can you tell me what time you plan to depart/return so I can get somebody to take him to school and pick up if necessary?

Or we can take him along....let him speak up...I'm literally 2 min off LC Ave W, easy pick up. Count me in...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Corey

You should take Clay & have him speak too. Nobody can resist the pleas of a cute kid.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Matt
Support your local pangas

Might not be a bad learning experience for Clay to see "our" Government at work either! T Man is in fo' sho' who else needs to bum a ride?? I should have an answer posted by tonight but I am 90% sure I am gonna roll! Come on guys this is the crunch time, put your time in and let's effect some positive change!!