Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

LJ 8/8

Launched at about 6 to small surf but that didn't stop me from the norm of taking one to the face. Paddled out then realized that the wave to the face didn't just wake me up it also made it so my fish finder wouldn't power on. I dropped the sabiki a couple of times before I found the greenies. I had 6 before I started the slow troll West. Since I didn't have working sonar I stayed well outside the kelp in maybe 90 to 110 feet. I occasionally stopped to throw the iron at nothing in particular. If the birds knew where the fish were they weren't telling. I continued following the kelp line but staying well away from it. The seals weren't real aggressive but we're definitely persistent. I hooked one for a nice sleigh ride before I won my empty hook back. They would just go back and forth between the other kayakers stealing macks. I saw a tiny bit of water movement about 20 yards away and quickly tossed my iron. 5 cranks into the retrieve I had a fish on. I could feel the head shakes and knew it was a YT but definitely not a monster. It was a little rat of about 10 pounds hooked perfectly on the side of its mouth so with one pull with the pliers I sent it off to hopefully grow into a trophy. After having 2 more macks stolen by the seals while on the slow troll I thought I was losing another one when the clicker started making noise. I grabbed my rod, felt the pull, but then felt the head shakes so I knew I had another fish on. This second one had a little more fight in him than the first and I could tell that it too was far from the weight I was hoping for. When I got this one to the surface I could see blood and that my hook was in its throat so I gaffed it and put it on my clip. If it wasn't bleeding I would have released it since it was still definitely on the small side at about 12-13 pounds (it's actually heavier than it looks).
Met a few fellow members and one brand new one, Lady Luck. She was so stoked to be out there for the first time and I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of her in the future.
All and all a pretty easy day OTW.

SNACK SIZE!
Attached Images