Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
bob
Junior

Squid boats !!!

If anyone cares.5 Squid boats just north of moonlight beach
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Not squid boats, research boats...plans to extend outfall pipes in that area.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
jorluivil

Potato Potatoe
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
lbsurf2ca

I was wondering about that too

You sure they arent squiddies, They have had all lights on everynight for the past couple nights. 5 boats out last night and they are still here this morning. One seems to be a 50 foot charter boat.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
twinfin

research boats
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Post BWE Dictionary

When will someone take the time to create a BWE dictionary? I love reading about the "dead bite" and seeing the photos a couple of weeks later with the YT. Or the "research boats" as you paddle your ass out there chasing that ball of bait and the trophy. It sure takes a few months to figure all this out. What happened to the "old" days when fisherman took pride sharing their knowledge and helping a brother out?

I hope to make it out there real soon before all the "research" balls swim away...
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
When will someone take the time to create a BWE dictionary? I love reading about the "dead bite" and seeing the photos a couple of weeks later with the YT. Or the "research boats" as you paddle your ass out there chasing that ball of bait and the trophy. It sure takes a few months to figure all this out. What happened to the "old" days when fisherman took pride sharing their knowledge and helping a brother out?

I hope to make it out there real soon before all the "research" balls swim away...
Its from when the 2000 people and boats are in a 2 square mile radius of each other. Boat traffic alone can shut a bite off completely. There is people that put the time in. and get rewarded. And at la jolla, lot sof people who dont put the time and get really rewarded which is cool too. But if yuou want to know about the bite, all you gotta do is go fishin.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
DESTROYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Matt- I honestly don't think its anything personal. There are a lot of people looking in on this website as voyeurs. LJ is a place that kayakers fish often because its easy to get out and you can be rewarded with a trophy WSB, YT, T-Shark, Halibut etc. Kayakers have learned that it can get really crowded with PBers and shut a bite off if they post there catches and information. Most of the guys on this web site are good guys who share information, you just won't find them doing it over the internet. TL-Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
lbsurf2ca

Squid boats

I call squid boats again. I count 8 boats now all flashing crazy colored lights. Surf is too big to get out in my yak .

I don't think 8 boats would be doing "research" Was there even 8 boats at the oil spill in the gulf?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Its from when the 2000 people and boats are in a 2 square mile radius of each other. Boat traffic alone can shut a bite off completely. There is people that put the time in. and get rewarded. And at la jolla, lot sof people who dont put the time and get really rewarded which is cool too. But if yuou want to know about the bite, all you gotta do is go fishin.

You took the words out of my mouth. Thanks. There's nothing wrong with fishing reports, even real-time current dope fishing reports---on occasion. Some bite situations call for utter silence, though. Local squid bites are typically one of them. Another fine example would be a middle of Winter, wide-open Yellowtail, surface-iron bite---it only takes a couple of skiffs to shut some of these bites down .

Then again, this Summer for example, there was damn near wide-open Yellowtail conditions for months---with hardly anyone on it! Day after day of being surrounded by Yellowtail without a soul in sight was a little creapy. I got used to it, though. All things considered, crowd and fish wise---one of the best seasons ever. Like always, if you're the type who waits for reports to go fishing, plan on missing a lot of epic bites.

It's real easy guys: go fishing, take pretty pictures, then post a report of your own.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
steveooo

Here is my real time dope report. Went to LJ today from 5am til 9am ish. Skunked, unless you count mega macs and a bonie. Saw a few really ugly guys out there fishing doing about as good as I did.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

I hear you, the point about the powerboats is right on. There is nothing worse then fishing 15 feet away from a boat on each side, especially not polite folks. I am not sure just how much "we" are really being spied on.

There is no better way to find a hot bite then to be out there 3 times a week, I wish I was involved in the industry or my schedule allowed me 3-4 days a week. Until then I'll keep plucking away and trying to decipher the secret code.

Ok. Research boats it is. I get it.

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hey Steveoooooo good seeing you too sweetcheeks!!! Hahahaha
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

While I strongly agree with Gino and Josh that the only way to be consistently successful is to spend a bunch of time on the water, for many of us, this is simply not possible. Other obligations get in the way of our passion for this activity, forcing many of us to become part-time players. It is what it is.

Should the guys who put the time in and know all the secrets have an obligation to share with others who only show up occasionally? I don't think so. These guys have worked very hard to learn what they know.

On the other hand, I remember when I was first getting started how generous everyone seemed to be with advice and help. For whatever reasons, we have become a less generous and less inclusive community recently. I understand why some may want to keep things a bit close to the vest. Still, I miss the the way it was a while back.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

OK, I apologize...feeble attempt to not draw attention, at least some of ya got it.

Unfortunately some of you are spot on, gone are the days of sharing info, with all the impressive fishermen and women on this site (myself not included btw), I tend to think alot of lurkers peruse the boards for the latest dope.

My bad, ears are burning enough...prob not going to be able to find out what's going on and relay info this week, but if I find something out I will share...cryptically.

Didn't get a chance to head out today, had a 3/4 day trip with two 10 yr olds, an iron slingin' fest to the Coronados, some fat YT landed (5 only for the boat), but the wind, swells, chop and current would not cooperate.

No skunkage though...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Billy V

To Broadcast a Bite Alert is just plain wrong. Unless you want every yahoodie from SoCal to converge on top of it - and blow the area out completely.

Lots of guys work hard to catch fish, and they do share amongst their community.
Its easy enough to take a walk down to the shores and talk with your fellow kayak fisherman - they share among their own and would like to keep it that way.

-Most everyone should know how it goes by now.

A little common sense go a long way.
-------------------------------
This will become much worse when they start closing off La Jolla and Scripps.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
lbsurf2ca

I cant get out there and no one has fished it in a Yak today or yesterday...so in my eyes this is the only forum that i see posting this info a good thing.

good luck i'll be watching.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Lots of guys work hard to catch fish, and they do share amongst their community.
Its easy enough to take a walk down to the shores and talk with your fellow kayak fisherman - they share among their own and would like to keep it that way.

-Most everyone should know how it goes by now.

A little common sense go a long way.
-------------------------------
This will become much worse when they start closing off La Jolla and Scripps.
it is true that the best way is, to go out and fish or even to go down to the beach to check things out. unfortunately for some of us fellow kayakers and fisherman, we don't live so close to the beloved L.J. coves.
my buddy and i travel down, seperately two hours away, one way even, to get a chance to even touch the holy grail, (L.J). we have done this now for a year. we've tried different times of day from early 2a.m. with no sleep, to later in the day.
i only mention this because, we are not looking for free hand outs, but as fellow yakers and fisherman, we would hope that you guys, the ones closer to the beach, could share some of the knowledge and current conditions that is going on down there.
thank you to those who share their knowledge. i hope that this doesn't come across as being winey but rather you get a better view point from those who live further away but still enjoy coming out to L.J.

Tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
hookup
Junior

I totally agree with you Tim. It seems like some of those who live in La Jolla or near by are bless and does not want to share La Jolla or the fish report to those of us who are less fortunate. You know, I have gone to La Jolla many many times and spent many many hours driving to La Jolla and have not been able to land a yellowtail or a WSB for over 2 years, now that is frustrating. In fact I have even given up in going to La Jolla because of the long distance. The Day they close down La Jolla, I will LOL. At that point, it wouldn't matter if the fish are bitting or not or whether the fish report is real or not !!!! Happy fishing and I hope you catch all the fish in La Jolla.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookup View Post
I totally agree with you Tim. It seems like some of those who live in La Jolla or near by are bless and does not want to share La Jolla or the fish report to those of us who are less fortunate. You know, I have gone to La Jolla many many times and spent many many hours driving to La Jolla and have not been able to land a yellowtail or a WSB for over 2 years, now that is frustrating. In fact I have even given up in going to La Jolla because of the long distance. The Day they close down La Jolla, I will LOL. At that point, it wouldn't matter if the fish are bitting or not or whether the fish report is real or not !!!! Happy fishing and I hope you catch all the fish in La Jolla.
You're completely wrong.
As I said before many kayak anglers (locals included) share amongst kayak anglers. - We just don't spill the beans with Power Boaters abroad.
-People from many other sites monitor BWE as they know we usually find it first.

It doesn't take much to shut down a bite, just a few boats will do it -
The entire armada will certainly do it, and that makes for crowded and dangerous fishing at times.
-----------------------------------
As for the last part of your remark where you turn into an assh@le...
-- Don't hold your breath. --
-They will never close down La Jolla enough to stop us locals from catching those trophies that have eluded you for all these years.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts its your lack of skill that has hindered you.

-I don't think anyone will be sharing any info with you - for the obvious reasons of what you chose to state in your post. LMAO