Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
kiyo21

Hooping ?

Quick hoop net question, I'm looking into new nets and can't decide between the promar eclipse vs ambush and would just like to know,

What do you guys like best?
What's better on the yak?
And what more durable?

Please post anything thanks everyone!

And
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
ctfphoto

I like the ambush style nets as it seems harder for the lobsters to get out on the pull.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Pugz
Junior

I like the ambush ones as they stack good, but they seem kinda heavy when you have a few on your yak. The flat ones work just as well for me.

How about you guys how's your catch ratio between ambush and flat hoops?
Pugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugz View Post
I like the ambush ones as they stack good, but they seem kinda heavy when you have a few on your yak. The flat ones work just as well for me.

How about you guys how's your catch ratio between ambush and flat hoops?

The ratio is about the sam, at least for me it is. Ambush nets are easier to handle while on the kayak they will stack higher than the flat ones. The flat ones are harder to handle on the kayak but are easier to stack. I have 4 ambush and 1 flat, both catch lobster so personally I think its all a matter of preference.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
PE.rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The ratio is about the sam, at least for me it is. Ambush nets are easier to handle while on the kayak they will stack higher than the flat ones. The flat ones are harder to handle on the kayak but are easier to stack. I have 4 ambush and 1 flat, both catch lobster so personally I think its all a matter of preference.
what he said...+2
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
firstgen
Junior

The only real difference I see is that you can leave the Ambush hoops soaking a little longer than the flat hoops because bugs can just walk away from a flat hoop after they grub if not brought up every 10-15mins.With the Ambush hoops unless they give each other boost's,bugs will find it very difficult to get out leaving you time to chill(up to 30 mins).
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I remember reading the results of the report cards from the DFG a year or so ago. As you know you must enter a "Gear Code" on the card, and I remember that I was surprised by the high percentage of lobster taken on the conical style nets. I don't remember the exact number but it was significantly higher than 50%. I think closer to 70%. I know it surprised me at the time.

HOWEVER...... I don't think this tells an accurate story. This data does not give visibility into what percentage of fishermen use the conical style nets vs. the flat nets. And as you may or may not know, if you are fishing with 2 flat nets and 2 conical nets, you are suppose to make 2 entries on the report card for each night, and keep track of the number of bugs caught in each style. So who does that? Just another example of this state trying to make decisions for us using totally flawed data.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
HOWEVER...... I don't think this tells an accurate story. This data does not give visibility into what percentage of fishermen use the conical style nets vs. the flat nets. And as you may or may not know, if you are fishing with 2 flat nets and 2 conical nets, you are suppose to make 2 entries on the report card for each night, and keep track of the number of bugs caught in each style. So who does that? Just another example of this state trying to make decisions for us using totally flawed data.
Yep, this is exactly what you are supposed to do. I was checked by the DFG wardens 3 times last season and they made sure that my report card was filled out that way since I was using two styles of nets each time. The DFG loves Redondo!
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyo21 View Post
Quick hoop net question, I'm looking into new nets and can't decide between the promar eclipse vs ambush and would just like to know,

What do you guys like best?
What's better on the yak?
And what more durable?

Please post anything thanks everyone!

And
The OP is asking about the difference between two conical nets, not flat nets.

Of the two the Ambush is a much better choice. The Ambush has a 32" diameter while the Eclipse has a 36" diameter. It is easier to pull the smaller diameter from a kayak in a seated position. The 36" can be done but it does create much more drag and you want to be pulling as fast as you can.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
chitown54

I agree pulling a 36" eclips full of kelp from the yak sucks. The ambush wasn't as bad just my opinion tho
chitown54 is offline   Reply With Quote