Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Salty

Redondo?

Hoping to get some advice from anyone familiar with the area and willing to share.

My buddy and I are planning to launch from the mini dock at the marina this weekend. Does anyone know if the lot there is open or if access to the dock is blocked? Also, is the bait barge there currently open?

This will be our first time fishing Redondo from the kayaks, so any advice or tips would be appreciated! Planning to mostly fish the bottom over rock structure with frozen squid/shrimp and/or live bait, but I'm always hopeful that some pelagic species might be hanging around that canyon offshore

Also, we're both like 95% catch-and-release, just looking for some different scenery and hopefully fight a few fish. I'll be bringing the new fish-descender to return any rockfish I might pull up too. Not looking to jump in and raid somebody else's spot lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
jrip
Water dog

I heard the Insiene Bait folded. Frozen squid is good. Paddle out to buoy then parallel to shore. From there, it drops at the canyon. Good Luck

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Look on google maps and find some structure below the surface. There is a wreck out there that holds a lot of white fish and an artificial reef.

I haven't seen a bait barge there. Squid and shrimp will produce rockfish, whitefish, and various other inshore species like calicos/sheepheads/blacksmiths. Try plastics as well. Take a sabiki and tip it with squid there is always a ton of mackerel out there, just watch out for sea lions if you decide to throw live baits because THEY WILL steal the fish.

Parking is $2/hour (at least it was before we were on corona time). Call the harbor (kings harbor) and ask if the lot is open.

Good luck
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
ProfessorLongArms

I scouted that canyon quite a bit before going out and didn’t really have much luck. Mostly white fish and a bunch of sand dabs. I was kind of surprised at how sandy the bottom is considering the drop off.

I find the coves to the south way more interesting if you can stomach the paddle... especially if you’re c&r for stuff like calicos and sandies
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
GregAndrew

From what I understand, the parking lot does not open until 7am right now, and is only open for trailer, car top craft and local business traffic right now. Bait barge went under when the bay had too much red tape to fish for bait. A sabiki is all you need to make bait there though. Good rockfish and bass fishing around the local structures and canyon. Getting towards the time of year when other good stuff shows up too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
jrip
Water dog

The launch guys (Sean) are supposed to stamp you parking ticket.
I spoke to the office lady and that is Their policy.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
Salty

Thanks for all the info, you guys are awesome! Very much appreciated. If I run into any of you out there, let me know if I can chuck a beer your way. Or a Cliff bar lol
Old 05-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrip View Post
The launch guys (Sean) are supposed to stamp you parking ticket.
I spoke to the office lady and that is Their policy.

I think that is for the hoist and not the hand launch. Used to be that you could get validated by buying something at any of the retail, or write “hand launch” on your ticket. Been a while since I was there so likely changed
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
jrip
Water dog

It is for the hand launch. I have paid $4.00 for the day. It depends on the parking attendant. $4 - $6.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Saba Slayer

???

jrip..."The launch guys (Sean) are supposed to stamp you parking ticket.
I spoke to the office lady and that is Their policy."

I'm not sure who you talked to but the validation at the hoist is only for those that use the hoist...I sent Craig Stanton the link to this post...he is the Redondo Marina operations manager and probably the boss of the person you said you talked to...Craig called me after reading the post and wanted to clarify that there is no validation for use of the hand launch facility...and that it is not their policy to provide free or discounted parking for use of the hand launch...
If you use the hoist to launch your kayak they will validate your parking ticket and that validation allows you to park for 12 hours for $4...
The parking lot now has new hours...it does not open until 7am when the attendant arrives.
The rate is $2 per hour and as I said there are no validations other than the hoist.
Larry from Inseine Bait has closed the bait barge...this happened after the Redondo Police boat ticketed him for fishing too close to shore...
Good Luck...bring cash for the parking...no credit card...
Bill/Farmer and I fished today and it was fantastic weather...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-21-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
jrip
Water dog

They honored it last year for me.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #12
SoCalEDC

How did it go?

Any report from this weekend Salty?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #13
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Any report from this weekend Salty?
Ended up staying local in DP this weekend and got into some good 18”+ sand bass and pulled on a really big halibut for 10 minutes bringing it up from 150’ to 20’ when the 30lb leader gave out...
Still planning to head up that way maybe this weekend or next. Again, thanks to you and everyone for the helpful tips!