Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
matthew7!

05/30 La Jolla all day.

Got up nice and early this morning and fished for all the fish ever haha. Started out making bait and drifting for hailbut(fish 1) found some great size bait but no takers. Drifted for a hour. Then went over to the edge of the kelp and drifted some baits for White Sea bass (fish 2) changed things up a little after the baits weren’t working very well for us. Dropped shrimp in the kelp and caught a couple kelp bass (fish 3) and pulled up a couple small sheephead (fish 4) now being around noon winds were about 8-10mph, went out rock fishing. Saw some birds working about a mile past the rock fishing spot so chased them down. Throw some irons and flat falls at them, lots of dolphins working and lots and lots of birds. Hoping for a yellow tail (fish 5) Didn’t mark much of the fish finder. Went back a mile and caught some rock fish (fish 6) for dinner. Then made the paddle back to the beach 4.4 miles away. Overall good day very windy all day.

Last edited by matthew7!; 05-31-2020 at 07:06 PM.
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
govomit

Matthew on his way to become Time-On-the-Water King and grab the crown from Greg B ♔ ! A rising star ✭
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Dude you are killing it. Getting out almost every day, huh?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

I’m starting to think he got kicked out of his house. Or really dislikes the people he lives with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
matthew7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
I’m starting to think he got kicked out of his house. Or really dislikes the people he lives with.

Wife took a little trip gotta enjoy the extra fishing time.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
TJones

Good report

That was me coming in behind you on a PA. Looked very fishy out there, but nobody wanted to play. Stayed on the water to see the sunset. Dolphins started to go on the chew as soon as the lights went out. Amongst other predators. You could feel the tension on the water. It was actually kinda eerie that night coming in. Felt like I was being watched. . Hope to get out there soon.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
matthew7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
That was me coming in behind you on a PA. Looked very fishy out there, but nobody wanted to play. Stayed on the water to see the sunset. Dolphins started to go on the chew as soon as the lights went out. Amongst other predators. You could feel the tension on the water. It was actually kinda eerie that night coming in. Felt like I was being watched. . Hope to get out there soon.

I stayed out after dark the day before and I definitely could agree with that. It’s gets really quite quickly and then you can hear things all around you. Dolphins hitting bait, the bait ball moving across the surface, the sea lions breathing and jumping. But what do you like to use for lures with the sun goes down? Do you switch to glow in the dark irons? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
I stayed out after dark the day before and I definitely could agree with that. It’s gets really quite quickly and then you can hear things all around you. Dolphins hitting bait, the bait ball moving across the surface, the sea lions breathing and jumping. But what do you like to use for lures with the sun goes down? Do you switch to glow in the dark irons? Thanks!

Try frozen squid on a glow iron or on a swimbait head.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:12 AM   #9
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Try frozen squid on a glow iron or on a swimbait head.
Some fresh stuff would be nice. . I don't have a ton of experience fishing in the dark, specifically on the kayak alone in the ocean. I do like the experience of watching the sunset while on the water. It is pretty humbling, and what you described is pretty spot on. The surf that night was flat, but coming in after dark when any kind of moderate surf is present, brings a whole different set of challenges. Especially on a loaded Pro Angler. Getting destroyed at night on a kayak is one thing, but on a Pro Angler is something I have yet to experience. Back to your question specifically, I do know plenty of guys that have caught fish on live bait using a dropper style rig. Chris is probably the go to guy though, and the fore mentioned technique might be the better option. If you are interested in giving it a go in the near future, give me a shout out. I will probably start heading down with a little more frequency in the next couple of weeks. I reside in Los Angeles County, so there is some commute involved, but I got lots of free time on my hands these next couple months. . Be safe.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
igotpron
Xcoastie

What’s your camera setup? Wanting to get something setup with my oasis so I can get pictures of the kid.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
matthew7!

Quote:
What’s your camera setup? Wanting to get something setup with my oasis so I can get pictures of the kid.

It’s like a GoPro stick that goes into the front hole on my pa. Think it’s the hole for the sail.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
It’s like a GoPro stick that goes into the front hole on my pa. Think it’s the hole for the sail.

Thanks man. Now I’ve never had a GoPro. Are you recording video? Or have a remote setup to snap pictures?

Old 06-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
matthew7!

Quote:
Thanks man. Now I’ve never had a GoPro. Are you recording video? Or have a remote setup to snap pictures?

On the GoPro app you can select individual frames and save the images. So I take like a ten second video then save the frame I like. I really like my GoPro for the use I get out of it, never had anything else ether so I’m a little bias.