Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Molten Furnace
Junior

Surf Launch with a Fish Finder

I just had a fish finder installed on my kayak and I am excited to try it out tomorrow in La Jolla. I have seen some guys that put plastic bags over their fish finders when launching and landing. Is this the best practice? Someone else told me to disconnect the unit and store it in a waterproof pouch during launch and landing and then connect it again when beyond the breakers. That seems like a hassle to me and with my luck I might flip the whole kayak trying to connect the unit once I'm at sea. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Molten Furnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
LawDog

most are waterproof. I don't ever disconnect mine but have dielectric grease in the connection to help keep water out. but ive launched and landed in some nasty conditions and the finder has found its self under water more than once. I did have an issue with my current one shortly after a flip, but Lowrance replaced it with no questions asked since it was under warranty.

I think most have issues then whey are plugging in and unplugging and there is moisture in the vicinity. plus the action of inserting and removing the plug every time will reduce its ability to keep water out of the connection.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Most everyone I see connects them and powers them up when launching. If you are worried that you might roll going in or out then storing it in a dry place is not a bad idea. Remember, it's your gear and if you don't want to lose it, Store it, Leash it, or strap it to the kayak somehow. If you have a rod pod or front hatch or any other means do what feels best for you.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I put mine on after I launch and remove when I land. I put it in a dry bag inside hatch.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I abuse my FF. As long as it's under WM's warranty you're golden. Only time I may remove it is if I don't have someone to watch my stuff when parking or getting the car. Pretty easy to walk away with.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
cell128
lizard king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
I put mine on after I launch and remove when I land. I put it in a dry bag inside hatch.
Same here ram mount you won't hassle...mounts/dismounts in seconds
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Molten Furnace
Junior

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll make it a game time decision depending on the conditions in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
This is what I'll be doing from now on. I usually place my sonar unit in the front hatch on the way in. Rolled recently on the landing, got a bunch of water in the hatch and ruined my sonar. Currently at Humminbird with a $245 repair bill. A dry bag is much cheaper...
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Molten Furnace
Junior

Here is how it went: Got to La Jolla at 5:30 am Saturday morning. The waves were tiny. I decided to mount the fish finder and hook it up on the beach. Just for good measure I put a zip lock bag over the unit and fastened with two rubber bands around the RAM mount to protect against excessing splashing. The launch was as easy as could be. Took the plastic bag off once I was 100 yards out. The fish finder ( a Lowrance elite 4x HDI) was easy to use and added a whole new dimension to my fishing experience. Even so, I got skunked! Making bait was not easy on Saturday -- kept landing Bonitas. Got a few Spanish mackerel and trolled around all day -- nada. The landing was easy though. No waves to speak of. If the waves are bigger next time, I will go with the unit in the dry bag and them mount and connect once beyond the breakers.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

I NEVER cover mine, I have a sun cover to protect the screen while its not in use but that's it..the RAM mounts are legit, I just fold mine down when I come in...just don't roll the yak!
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote