Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
jruiz
Large Member

WTB- truck bed kayak rack

Let me know what you guys have. Not really interested in anything homemade cuz I can do that myself or suggestions on a hitch mount bed extender. Purpose is to have full use of the bed with kayak on there. Truck is a 2002 tundra
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Dannowar

The bed extender route seems like the way to go. I have a 2004 Tacoma with a 6 foot bed and with the tailgate down my PA is on the teetering side. The tow hitch I had to buy was a couple hundred bucks but the bed extender I think you can get at harbor freight for like 60 bucks.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
JrBasser

my first hope was that WTB meant want to build. It's cheap and easy. Why not if you're capable?
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Dewfish
Junior

Setup

On my 2002 Tundra, I used a Thule rack on the cab, and a Thule goal post in the hitch for my kayak. I was able to use the bed with this setup, and it could be installed/removed in just a few minutes. I still have the setup if you're interested in something like this.
Dewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
CheapPelican

Harbor Freight single ladder rack. They are removable. You can see where the sleeves bolt to your bed. The rack slides down into them.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Thanks for the posts, but what i'm really looking for is a used one for sale that can use Yakima, Thule, and so on accessories. I want something clamp on to the bed rails that can fit at least two kayaks. Anyone have a Thule xsporter for sale?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
xpresso2am

x2, Tacoma double cab with a short bed and extender. Works great on my PA but it sticks out pretty far.

Harbor Freight is the way to go! cheap and functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
The bed extender route seems like the way to go. I have a 2004 Tacoma with a 6 foot bed and with the tailgate down my PA is on the teetering side. The tow hitch I had to buy was a couple hundred bucks but the bed extender I think you can get at harbor freight for like 60 bucks.
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

See first post....purpose is to have full use of the bed with kayak on there and not interested in a bed extender. I throw my outback in the bed already without the need for a bed extender.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The setup I have used on my Ford Ranger is the Yakima Outdoorsman on the back of the bed and a Yakima rooftop rack on my cab with saddles. For what it's worth I have an Outdoorsman for sale on Ebay right now, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170976099034...84.m1555.l2649

These guys run $206 new and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest at $55.

Good Luck

The Rossman
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
jorluivil

What size bed do you have on your Tundra? What type of kayak do you have? I carry my outback one of two ways, it usually depends on where I'm going and/or who is carpooling with me.

If I stay local like Cabrillo I will just throw in the back of the bed but If I'm driving longer distances or if I have someone carpooling with me I will throw it on my rack. If you have a Tundra you show be able to just throw it in the bed, tie it down and get going, the bed and the tailgate door will support roughly 70-80% of a 13-15 foot kayak.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
What size bed do you have on your Tundra? What type of kayak do you have? I carry my outback one of two ways, it usually depends on where I'm going and/or who is carpooling with me.

If I stay local like Cabrillo I will just throw in the back of the bed but If I'm driving longer distances or if I have someone carpooling with me I will throw it on my rack. If you have a Tundra you show be able to just throw it in the bed, tie it down and get going, the bed and the tailgate door will support roughly 70-80% of a 13-15 foot kayak.
you forgot to tell him about the shoe string you use to tie it down.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

I have the same length bed you do I think being 6.5 ft. I use your first option a well but would like to be able to take a second yak or camping gear. Hard to take camping gear with a yak taking up the whole bed.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Dewfish
Junior

Smile Rack

Jruiz,
I have the 74" bed on my Tundra, with a tonneau on it. If I go somewhere close I'll haul the yak in the bed like you do, but if I have stuff in the bed or it's a longer drive I use my rack setup. The front rack goes across the cab like a standard rack system, and the T-Bar slips into the hitch recepticle. Using this setup, I can carry one/two kayaks and have the bed 100% free for other things. It works for me because you can easily put the system on and take it 100% off the truck. I carry a Cobra Marauder which is for sale, so I don't need the rack system anymore. Both the front and rear racks are Thule.

The rack systems others have spoken about look pretty nice and probably works well for their application. There's many ways to go, that's for sure.

Dewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
jruiz
Large Member

Dewfish...pm sent on rack
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
ericko

Hey look at tony set up same truck and he is able to bring all the camping gear...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #16
roby
CEO of Team Roby

This person is selling a Thule rack...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...561575049.html
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
Harbor Freight single ladder rack. They are removable. You can see where the sleeves bolt to your bed. The rack slides down into them.
I'm thinking of doing this with mine. I like my bed extender, but it makes me nervous that people are going to rear end me with the Kayak there. Sure I'd get a new Kayak out of it, but I'd like to avoid that, and having full access to the bed would be nice also.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
This person is selling a Thule rack...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...561575049.html
Good looking out. I emailed the guy seeing if he'd be willing to part the package. Chances are pretty good since what are the chances he'll find someone that wants two kayaks and drives a truck.