Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
jruiz
Large Member

Sick Day

Day started like so....

Quickly got restless and annoyed by what's on daytime tv and thought about installing my mirage drive well reinforcement kit and horizontal rod holders. I don't have a hole or crack in my drive well but it's more for piece of mind. The rod holders would allow me to easily and safely stow my rods outside the hull during a surf launch.

Reinforcement kit comes with a fiberglass form that goes inside the hull and new cam screws and knobs.

The horizontal rod holders comes with a strap for the rod butt and a guard for the rod tip. Measure twice and drill once. I installed one on each side of the hull.

jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
jorluivil

How many rods can you get in it before it gets tight?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

You're pretty much limited to one >20lb class rod per holder or maybe two bass rods, hence why I installed two. I don't really have the option of stowing my rods inside my hull since my hatches are small and hard to access once on the water.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Jim Sammons LJKF

I'll tell you right now, if you use those rod holders for surf launches you will be buying new reels very soon. Your reels will get hammered by the salt water injection or worse sandy salt water. Unless you are a reel maintenance fiend I would think of other options or remove the reel for the rods, which is a pain in my opinion.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I'll tell you right now, if you use those rod holders for surf launches you will be buying new reels very soon. Your reels will get hammered by the salt water injection or worse sandy salt water. Unless you are a reel maintenance fiend I would think of other options or remove the reel for the rods, which is a pain in my opinion.
I'd take that over the risk of broken or lost rods.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

Get some kind of cover for the reels to minimize the amount of water getting to them. Or go out a really practice your surf landings so it is not an issue.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Get some kind of cover for the reels to minimize the amount of water getting to them. Or go out a really practice your surf landings so it is not an issue.
I appreciate the feedback and advice
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
maui jim

Watching Kelly would make me sick...

Like the holders been thinking of those for the landings... What did a set cost?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
JeffB

Or you could just take the reel off and throw them in a in your front hatch. Now your reels are safe and your rods. When the surf is really high I strap my rods to the side of my paddle slot, no where as nice as what you have going on, pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Watching Kelly would make me sick...

Like the holders been thinking of those for the landings... What did a set cost?
They cost me $20. Amazon has them for the same price plus shipping. OEX, being a hobie dealer, should be able to get a hold of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Horizont.../dp/B0086EV344
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Or you could just take the reel off and throw them in a in your front hatch. Now your reels are safe and your rods. When the surf is really high I strap my rods to the side of my paddle slot, no where as nice as what you have going on, pretty cool.

Lately this is what I do. I pack light so taking a reel off 2-3 rods and safely stowing in a dry bag BEATS cleaning those reels. The sandy water is brutal. Grains of sand from micro to small aren't good in the gears.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
How many rods can you get in it before it gets tight?
I put them on my Yak about six months ago. I have fit a 50lb rod with 40 size reel and 20lb bass rod in one side, the other side a 30lb rod with 20 size reel and 40lb rod with a 20 size reel.

Lately I've been paddling out of harbors, but for surf launches removing the reels is the best bet.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote