Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
hiramehunter

Another LIPO battery for FF

Nothing new or too exciting but if this helps someone then great!

Got a new OK Trident 13 recently and purchased a Lowrance hook 4x to go with it. I really don't like the added weight of the typical SLA batteries so I decided to go with the Lipo batteries.

I purchased a Turnigy 5000Mah 4S1P 14.8volt lipo pack and an S3 T2500 Watertight Dry Case. It fits perfectly into the battery case that OK has at the bow. I'm also using LED Light Strips 2 Terminals Waterproof Connector Cable for easy disconnect from the FF. The whole thing weighs about 22 ounces and it's compact!

I used it on Saturday even though I only got a little over 3 hours on the water it performed really well. Also the Hook FF has an option to display the voltage so I could keep an eye on it throughout the morning. (You really don't want the Lipo cells to go below 3.0 volts and since each cell could discharge at different rates you don't want the 4s to get below 12.4 v/3.1v per cell) it started off at 16.5 volts and ended at 15.9 volts after 3 hours. I was mainly using the Chirp sonar since we were fishing for rockies in the 300' range. I'm sure if I had GPS or used DSI more it would had drained faster. Your mileage may vary

I also purchased a HobbyKing ECO8 150W charger/balancer/discharger. My other one couldn't charge a 4 cell Lipo
Anyway, the charger worked well. you need an external power supply so I used an old ATX power supply that I had pulled from a PC a long time ago for something and used that.

Charging was uneventful but the best part was discharging the lipo to storage mode to keep the lipo in the most stable state for long term storage(anything over a few days. Lots of info/opinions online about this topic)

That's it for now. I just wanted to share.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote