Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

La Jolla Bar n Grill 4-22-06

Got to the launch at 5:30AM... Andy was getting ready to launch, Pat was debating... It was a little windy out, made me debate.. Brad showed up, and decided to launch, I followed shortly after, and later Pat decided to launch... Slow making bait for me, as I am flying without a FF as mine fried again, but it was difficult with an FF as reported by others, sparse showing. Kelp was laying down again, current ripping to los Coronados...

Later Brad fired up his grill, and I had a tasty cheese burger, then a brat... It was nice to have hot food out there. Brad's Bar n Grill made the call over the VHF for burgers n brats... Good to see Esdees, newbie Nathan, Pat, SIK Jim, Tyler at the grill. Thanks again Mad BBQer.

Decided to paddle in around 11AM. Weather changed from no wind, to slightly windy, to onshore. Slow for me, but good to get on the water. Below is a look at the clouds on the way in...I don't know why the pic came out bent...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

thanks for the brats Brad! Nothing to add other than it was a good group out there. Lots of nice cold beverages and hot food. Caught a lot of 4" dines out around 80'. Seals still suck.

Tyler
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I heard Pat had to be shamed into launching :lol: I turned out to be a nice morning, except that stupid circle hook!

Nothing but heartbreak and a cheap cigar :P

As slow as it was, I decided to fish the sand on the way in. Got bit on the bottom and let it eat it for a long time. Thinking about the circle hook, I let the rod load and then just wound hard. Fish took off across the bottom on a nice run and then started to come up like a sack a taters. One toss of it's head and spit the hook. Only other excitement for me was the one then 2 clickers going off, sneaky sealion came out of nowhere to rob me.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Ryan The Sealion

^ andy circle hooks r for little girls Comeon who uses a hook that you can't swing with!>? Thats the best part!! :lol:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Mike K.

4-22 am

Launched shortly after daybreak. Met Pat at the launch, nice to meet you, and we were both wondering about the wind. Seemed to die down so out I went. Took to scenic tour...made nice assortment of greenbacks and spanish at the second can out from the pier. Trolled all the way around the outside of the buoys and over the canyon. Besides the occasional bait ball, didn't meter squat. No birds, no popping bait, nothing. Went all the way out past the point till I could see Mission Beach. Lots of bait out there but no fish. Wind instantly came up to around 10 knots at precisely 10:15 and didn't let up. Heard the lunch call from the Northwest Corner Bar and Grill (thank you very much for the cheeseburger last week by the way) but was too far out to heed the call. Swung in close to the kelp for the trip home. I tried it all...live bait top, live bait low, bottom rig with cut bait, inside the kelp with bait and plastics but it was dead as can be. Made it in a little after noon to very low tide and sloppy small win chop surf. Kelp down, water green but fairly clear but it did seem colder...don't have a thermometer so not sure but sure felt that way.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
MarkRoquentin

Chuck and I launched at 6AM in some rather tricky shorepound at Marine Street. Got flipped coming over the back of one, but we had everything stowed, so we scrambled back in made for deeper water.

That was it for excitement. We made bait in a hurry and dragged them around south of the main point. Nothing. Went in around 10:30.
MarkRoquentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

thanks for the burger madscientist... most people can't cook that good on land.... how about this "best burgers and brauts west of la jolla"... ok maybe not.... Holy mack, thanks for the beer and the advice... Ill get in to one some day :?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
blackcloud9
Kayaker

I fished the 8 - 2 shift. Launched at BigRock, looong, upcurrent peddle all the way to the canyon, to try to make some bait to start out. Saw the crew leaving .... quickly got windy and very bumpy outside and I decided to head out anyway. No problem. Got a load of macks from Jim on his way in, and trolled outside then south to my bottom spots off Bird Rock in 105 -130 feet. No bites even with the lively mackerel.

Even the bass seemed to be schooled tightly inside heavy kelp on the way in, hiding ... hmmm ... there has been a huge number of dolphins lately!!
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Dupree

Re: La Jolla Bar n Grill 4-22-06

That's just insane! :P Talk about making the best of a bad situation.

I was out there yesterday on my buddy Frank's boat. We saw one spot of fish pop-up early early S. of the Corner then it was the Dead Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel
...I don't know why the pic came out bent...
Must have been Brad's famous WavyGravy!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Chris, looks like you took that one photo with our camera. It does that on occasion...not sure why.
Andy, gotta hate it when them big 'buts hang on like they're hooked, give you a cheap thrill, only to let go as you ease them to the surface. Definitely pisses you off, but what can you do? We've had it happen so many times, we risk getting cut off by triple and quadruple hook-sets, hoping it sinks in.
We thought Brad was kinda extreme before, but now that the La Jolla Grill is open you gotta wonder where it will end :P .
Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Afran
fishy

I'm going to jump in on the post if you don't mind.

Chased that dolphin pod around for 30 mins in the kelp. Flipping iron in and around them. The pod moved on. I look toward the inside at what seems to be a puddler. By this time I'm too close, but I flip the iron over it and start cranking. It gets 3ft past the disrupted water and the YT starts to chase it down. Full V wake and fin. Well the distance between my boat and the fish was to close and the fish turned at the last moment.

It's situations like this that inspire me to fish LJ.
The pay offs are hugh.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
lamb

This is as good of a daily LJ report as they come… like old days, on old site. 8)

I don’t know A&J, similar but looks like Chris’es picture is missing something… :lol:

Brad’s picture too... It just feels like there’s some key ingredient, simply not there… :lol:

Old 04-23-2006, 04:08 AM   #13
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice photograph Adi! 8)

Is that BADLAMB or BEDLAM?? :roll:

Good luck in CR, can't wait for the photos and report!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 AM   #14
scwafish

That is too cool. I was working a boat show and saw this flush mount adapter for a little bbq. You could put it in a forward flush mount and then use the deck for filleting sashimi appetizers and preparing side dishes :shock:

Get it here...http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...001/465/430/15

Maybe add a second kayatank with the polarity switched and pumping to a beer tap :lol:
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #15
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

from holymacks second picture, you can see a few of us dicking around (more bullshitting than fishing :roll: ) the guys were brainstorming on how to hook up a mini-keg.. nothing worse than a bunch of drunk yakers causing trouble :P
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwafish
Maybe add a second kayatank with the polarity switched and pumping to a beer tap :lol:
There are plans in the works. 8)
Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
OB Paddler

OMG, the kayak Keg, I was already thinking of how to rig one using one of those small one gallon kegs, with an inline Co2 cartidge, Or rigging one of these systems to the http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/3lkeg/3lkeg.htm

And thanks for the offer for the Brat Mad Scientist, I even asked if you had spicey mustard :lol: and you did!!!

During your call Kyle and I where trying to pick up on some of the fish I was metering about 300 yrds. north (NE) of the kelp line 75-80 feet of water. To no avail. Dragged some green backs and some smaller bait with yellow eyes? any idea what those are? Bait was all over the place inside the kelp, but didn't seem to want to bite the sabiki...spent a good hour making bait.

I was wondering why all the fish seamed to be hiding inside the kelp, never even thought it was due to the dolphin in the area.

Todd
OB Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote