Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
ctrujillo

x factor or extreme

going to buy a new yak.i am a big guy 6-3 280lbs i have a cobra fish&dive but want a Malibu.paddled a rented x factor but never a extreme i know extreme is 1 1/2 narrower but do you lose that much more stability oppose the x factor?also wondering about speed?love the cobra but want to get something a little faster but don't want to lose stability
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Gino

6'1 300lb i fish of an extreme, no problemo, I suggest if u get the extreme, use the drop in bait tank, will help your stability a bit.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
danny
Danny

6ft 285 and i take a 30 pack and ice with me, the pontoon style yak is the way to go. I have a native watercraft MARINER 12.5 PROPEL. I took a few boats out and that one is very hard to flip.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Jzo

I would go with X-Factor. But If I had to choose between X-Factor and Stealth 14, I would choose Stealth 14.

You probably know about the Sale Event coming up but just incase the link below.

September 18th Factory kayak sale
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=8288
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
ctrujillo

only 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
6ft 285 and i take a 30 pack and ice with me, the pontoon style yak is the way to go. I have a native watercraft MARINER 12.5 PROPEL. I took a few boats out and that one is very hard to flip.
dude only a 30 pack.but seriously that sounds like alot of fun.i am leaning more towards the malibu
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzo View Post
I would go with X-Factor. But If I had to choose between X-Factor and Stealth 14, I would choose Stealth 14.

You probably know about the Sale Event coming up but just incase the link below.

September 18th Factory kayak sale
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=8288
yeah i heard i missed the first one but wont miss this one.dont know to ks for the infomuch about the stealth but i will look it up than
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

unless you have stability issues with the f&d go with the extreme....31" is still VERY wide for a yak.

and as for the Malibu drop in "yak sinker" bait tank, I would think twice about that, or at the very least find a way to seal it so no water can get between the tank and the hatch rim and also secure it so if you do tip the bait tank wont fall out and quickly fill your yak with water....they are a cool, low COG design, just not seaworthy out of the box....but than again what is?

If you end up wanting a fat-factor I have a lightly used grey one with all three hatches installed, 4 flushmount rodholders, and a new COD seat you could have for $600.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Gino

being that big. like myself if you get an Xfactor id highly suggest you dont get the rear hatch installed. depending on how big your bait tank would be, you could be having an issue with your waterline in the scuppers and swells or wake from the back. It happend to me. almost sank a couple times. the newer xfactors the back angled hatch is raised up an inch or so, but i personally still dont trust it.

I like my extreme, its plenty fast enough, it distributes the weight pretty well. and with the drop in bait tank, no space is wasted and its easy to reach behind and grab a live one. No problems with water leanking on the rear hatch, only had problems with it on the xfactor... keep the hatch lid on the bait tank while your fishing. no water splashes or falls on the rim.

I feel more stable in the extreme than i did in a Prowler Big Game, The extreme you sit down deeper in it. much more stable dispite the width differance

youll have some water in the footwells, half a centemeter deep or so with the bait tank full on a 12 volt system. but not much, it punches threw waves well with someone my size in it, so you will get wet. but its a wet sport. well worth it.

The cobra fish n dive is much slower than the X-factor, but Bellcon told me, Balance can be learned, speed you have to buy. I wouldnt buy the x-factor if your looking for something much faster tha the cobra.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

that settles it!!! we've made your decision -

you're getting the extreme!!!

like they said, balance can be learned (won't be an issue on the extreme) speed must be bought (insert shameless HOBIE plug here)...while the fat-factor may be faster than the F&D, it's still a turd (speedwise) when compared to most of the other yaks.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
and as for the Malibu drop in "yak sinker" bait tank, I would think twice about that, or at the very least find a way to seal it so no water can get between the tank and the hatch rim and also secure it so if you do tip the bait tank wont fall out and quickly fill your yak with water....they are a cool, low COG design, just not seaworthy out of the box....
X2. I never found a good way to seal mine so finally simplified things and got rid of the tank. Was never really comfortable with a big hole there anyway. Also I read lots of stories about water slowly trickling into the hull from the tank overflow.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Machine View Post
X2. I never found a good way to seal mine so finally simplified things and got rid of the tank. Was never really comfortable with a big hole there anyway. Also I read lots of stories about water slowly trickling into the hull from the tank overflow.

X3

As Gino said, If you go with the XFactor I wouldn't have that rear hatch cut out and have a sit on top bait tank... otherwise go with something different (extreme, wilderness, hobie) Also, I have heard other ther big guys taking on water with the poorly designed rear hatch on the X- Factor without a secured hatch and nearly sinking. Oh, but it is not a manufacturer issue
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
being that big. like myself if you get an Xfactor id highly suggest you dont get the rear hatch installed. depending on how big your bait tank would be, you could be having an issue with your waterline in the scuppers and swells or wake from the back. It happend to me. almost sank a couple times. the newer xfactors the back angled hatch is raised up an inch or so, but i personally still dont trust it.

I like my extreme, its plenty fast enough, it distributes the weight pretty well. and with the drop in bait tank, no space is wasted and its easy to reach behind and grab a live one. No problems with water leanking on the rear hatch, only had problems with it on the xfactor... keep the hatch lid on the bait tank while your fishing. no water splashes or falls on the rim.

I feel more stable in the extreme than i did in a Prowler Big Game, The extreme you sit down deeper in it. much more stable dispite the width differance

youll have some water in the footwells, half a centemeter deep or so with the bait tank full on a 12 volt system. but not much, it punches threw waves well with someone my size in it, so you will get wet. but its a wet sport. well worth it.

The cobra fish n dive is much slower than the X-factor, but Bellcon told me, Balance can be learned, speed you have to buy. I wouldnt buy the x-factor if your looking for something much faster tha the cobra.
ok thanks for all the info extreme it is but i will always remember the fish&dive its just time to speed things up a bit